Accident involving NU family in Oklahoma

As many of you have probably heard, an accident occurred Sunday afternoon near Perry, OK involving a family of Husker fans from Elkhorn, NE. One of those involved in the accident, is actually a friend of mine, and is in bad shape, as is his father. Both are at the OU medical center in OKC, and sadly, my friend's mother passed away from the accident. They drove down to Dallas to support our Big Red, and now let's see if the Big Red will support them in their time of need. I think it would be a very nice gesture if by any means, the football team could attend the mother's funeral. Probably a "pipe dream" type of idea, but I figured I would see what others thought. Have a great day, and this really puts the game of football into perspective.

As many of you have probably heard, an accident occurred Sunday afternoon near Perry, OK involving a family of Husker fans from Elkhorn, NE. One of those involved in the accident, is actually a friend of mine, and is in bad shape, as is his father. Both are at the OU medical center in OKC, and sadly, my friend's mother passed away from the accident. They drove down to Dallas to support our Big Red, and now let's see if the Big Red will support them in their time of need. I think it would be a very nice gesture if by any means, the football team could attend the mother's funeral. Probably a "pipe dream" type of idea, but I figured I would see what others thought. Have a great day, and this really puts the game of football into perspective.

they were the family in the gray motor vechicle weren't they?

Yes they were.

Yes they were.

i'm sorry about that, i know kody spano and a few of the players had seen that and were praying for them.

If you can release it or just PM me, what are their names? I live here in OKC and will visit them to see if they need anything.

From The Omaha World Herald

A 51-year-old Elkhorn woman was killed Sunday and her husband and a son were critically injured in a one-vehicle crash on Interstate 35 in Oklahoma.

Judy Shaneyfelt, the driver, was pronounced dead at the crash scene 4 miles north Perry in northern Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said. She had been pinned inside the vehicle for about 30 minutes after it rolled three times, the patrol said.

Rick Shaneyfelt, 53, and Ryan Shaneyfelt, 20, were in critical condition early Monday at the University of Oklahoma Medical Center in Oklahoma City, a hospital spokeswoman said. Jason Shaneyfelt, 16, was treated at Perry Memorial Hospital and released, the patrol said.

The Shaneyfelts had been traveling north on I-35 when the vehicle they were in went out of control, crossed the center median and rolled, landing on its wheels on the west shoulder of the Interstate, investigators said. The emergency call was made just after 1 p.m. Sunday.

All the occupants had been using seat belts, the patrol said. — Susan Szalewski

I just went to the hospital to visit the family. Both Ryan and Rick were asleep, so I wasn't able to talk to them. I did talk to Rick's sister and she gave me some up dates on their conditions.

Forewarn, I didn't write anything down and I have a bad short-term memory. I will try to recite what she said.

Both will be okay, but both are in Trauma ICU at the moment.

Rick has a broken leg which is going to have 4 pins and a rod put in. He should be out of ICU sometime this week

Ryan just came out of surgery, he had to have fluid drained from his brain and has a few broken fingers. Ryan should be out of ICU next week.

She said that they will be in the hospital for a couple of weeks.

Jason (their 16yr old) is there also. He has road rash on his right arm and a swollen right ankle. He looks fine but I know when I was 16, being cooped up in a room was not my style.

As far as donations go, Rick's sister said that they are setting something up thru 1st national bank (I believe) and will have details in the next couple of days. She also said that whatever is given will be appreciated.

As far as the funeral, she said that they will be waiting until the family is back in Nebraska. More then likely she will be buried in Lincoln since that was her favorite place to be. When I go back, I will ask Rick if it would be okay for the huskerboard to attend the funeral.

If you would like to send mail, here is the address:

OU Medical Center

Presbyterian Tower Trauma ICU

700 NE 13th St

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104

I will try to update more as I can.