First Big 10 schedule not as tough as it looks?

JTrain

Words of caution to the Big 10. NU will play for the conference title next year. I will not go on record to say NU will win it but I say we play for the title. NU will have a dynamic QB that will run wild but have a defense that can play with the most elite teams in the country.

Put Bo's defense with Dennard at Michigan. The would be an elite team.

The alignments for the new divisions, which have yet to be named, are as follows:

– Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin in one division.

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern in the other.

I see NU playing either OSU or Wisc. If Pryor returns for his senior year OSU will have a slight advantage over

Wisc based on Wisc losing their QB. I just don't see much Carne in the bolded division above. Sorry Wolvie, NU plays for the title of the Big 10 in their first year.

If we show up for every game next year we might. Our offense hasn't been consistent all year. Pryor already said he will be back. You do realize we have to play Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin next season don't you? We lose a lot of players this year too. Who's gonna join Burkhead and just be as good as Helu was?

Most of the OL is back and a lot of new talent coming up on the OL too. Burkhead will have D Robinson, A Green, maybe B Heard and some other weapons. Jamal Turner, Taylor Martinez, B Kinnie, Tyler Reed will be a huge star next year. With the Defense Bo puts on the field it doesn't take a lot of points to win games. It takes good defense and ball control. Bo will be in his fourth year with his recruits fully on board.

I say we win 2 of the 3 games you mentioned above. If that happens, NU has 1 loss and none in their own division. :koolaid2:

Words of caution to the Big 10. NU will play for the conference title next year. I will not go on record to say NU will win it but I say we play for the title. NU will have a dynamic QB that will run wild but have a defense that can play with the most elite teams in the country.

The alignments for the new divisions, which have yet to be named, are as follows:

– Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin in one division.

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska and Northwestern in the other.

I see NU playing either OSU or Wisc. If Pryor returns for his senior year OSU will have a slight advantage over

Wisc based on Wisc losing their QB. I just don't see much Carne in the bolded division above. Sorry Wolvie, NU plays for the title of the Big 10 in their first year.

If we show up for every game next year we might. Our offense hasn't been consistent all year. Pryor already said he will be back. You do realize we have to play Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin next season don't you? We lose a lot of players this year too. Who's gonna join Burkhead and just be as good as Helu was?

Most of the OL is back and a lot of new talent coming up on the OL too. Burkhead will have D Robinson, A Green, maybe B Heard and some other weapons. Jamal Turner, Taylor Martinez, B Kinnie, Tyler Reed will be a huge star next year. With the Defense Bo puts on the field it doesn't take a lot of points to win games. It takes good defense and ball control. Bo will be in his fourth year with his recruits fully on board.

I say we win 2 of the 3 games you mentioned above. If that happens, NU has 1 loss and none in their own division. :koolaid2:

If the run gets stopped we are screwed and if Watson is calling plays next year double screwed. Unless we cut down on fumbles a lot our offense will still be our weakest point. I think too many people are underestimating the teams in the Big Ten.

If I had a dollar for every Penn St fan that said that Id be a VERY rich man....

If I had a dollar for every Penn St fan that said that Id be a VERY rich man....

Trying to compare PSU in their first year of Big 10 play to NU next is not really relevant. The players and teams of all the teams are different.

Back in 1993, Michigan and OSU were much more dominant than today. The level of defense that NU puts on the field now with Bo Pelini is not comparable to the teams from the early nineties and today.

I see two tough games next year and those two are wisc and osu. I will make you an internet bet. No money involved since internet bets are never paid. I will bet you NU reps their division and plays for the title. If they do I win the bet. You have all the other teams in the division. If NU doesn't win the division you win.

I see NU improving under Pelini and next year will be fun.

Trying to compare PSU in their first year of Big 10 play to NU next is not really relevant. The players and teams of all the teams are different.

Back in 1993, Michigan and OSU were much more dominant than today. The level of defense that NU puts on the field now with Bo Pelini is not comparable to the teams from the early nineties and today.

I see two tough games next year and those two are wisc and osu. I will make you an internet bet. No money involved since internet bets are never paid. I will bet you NU reps their division and plays for the title. If they do I win the bet. You have all the other teams in the division. If NU doesn't win the division you win.

Until the offense is playing more consistent it's not a lock that there are only 2 tough games next year. I would like the Huskers to win too but i have a feeling for people who think the Big Ten won't be a challenge are in for a surprise.

Until the offense is playing more consistent it's not a lock that there are only 2 tough games next year. I would like the Huskers to win too but i have a feeling for people who think the Big Ten won't be a challenge are in for a surprise.

Couldn't agree more. As long as our offense shoots itself in the foot with poor execution, turnovers and poor play-calling, we'll lose games no matter who the opponent is. Aside from Minn, we'll have our hands full every week. And even then, we need to watch out for the upset (see: Iowa loss to Minn).

I know this is fun and what forum boards are all about, but how could anyone possibly have any confidence in what product is going to show up on the field week to week. Losses to a horrid Texas, average A&M, beatable OU and one point win over ISU.

No Gomes, Price, Hagg or Henery?

I think we will see a lot of the same next year.

A lot of the same meaning 10-2 and heading to Indianapolis? Sounds fine with me.

You think that if Martinez gets hurt next year we will be near any 10-2 record?

No.

But if he stays healthy we most certainly could. Also, if Bo man's up and gets us a competent OC "and" anybody still alive to replace Gilmore we could storm the Big10 our initial season.

The best thing is that the two toughest games come right away in the year, meaning NU *should* be healthy. I don't care who's calling the plays, a healthy T-Mart changes the game. If Bo finds a new receivers coach and someone to coach ball security, then NU stands a puncher's chance.

Note: The only reason I didn't say "if Bo gets a new OC" is because Wats WILL be here next year, so I'm trying to pretend that it is ok and NU can win with him at the helm... In reality, I see at least 2 losses probably 3

Words of Caution...This is the same type talk we heard when Penn St Joined the Conference..It usually doesnt work that way. It took Penn St a few years before they won their

first B10 Title and in the 20 yrs since they joined I believe they have won 2 or maybe 3 titles...I wouldnt expect to walk in to Ann Arbor and waltz away with a win..MANY a undefeated OSU team or Wisconsin team that were on paper far superior left AA with a Loss...costing them a National title...Michigan gets up for the Big games..the Offense is really clicking and I gtd u

the defense will be better..GROB will not be back year. and Wisconsin is a TOUGH TOUGH place to win...Good Luck and welcome to the B10

Penn State won the conference in just their second year as a member.

I don't think Nebraska is going to tear the conference apart, but I think if you look at the pieces NU has in place, and the level NU's been playing at... It's pretty fair to say that they will be a major contender for the division championship next year, which of course would give them a clear shot at the conference championship.

As far as Michigan goes, their defense has a long long ways to go. Just getting rid of your d-coordinator isn't going to magically make them better. IF you get the right guy in, it will take time to implement a new scheme and get players coached up. And all due respect to the Big 10, I don't think Michigan has faced a defense with Nebraska's speed.

The best thing is that the two toughest games come right away in the year, meaning NU *should* be healthy. I don't care who's calling the plays, a healthy T-Mart changes the game. If Bo finds a new receivers coach and someone to coach ball security, then NU stands a puncher's chance.

Note: The only reason I didn't say "if Bo gets a new OC" is because Wats WILL be here next year, so I'm trying to pretend that it is ok and NU can win with him at the helm... In reality, I see at least 2 losses probably 3

I've been on Watson's case a lot lately, but him being back again isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm completely fed up with his playcalling and in-game adjustments, but I think it will be good for Martinez's development to have continuity in the coaching staff. He's going to be a totally different dude in his second year.

I am starting to wonder how effective the Big 10 defenses will be against NU's speed, though. "Big" defenses are rarely "fast" defenses.

Ohio State vs. Oregon's Speed

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/worksheet.jsp?year=2009&game=200900000052920100101.xml

Wisconsin vs. Miami's speed

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/worksheet.jsp?year=2009&game=200900000079620091229.xml

Iowa vs. Georgia Tech's speed

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/worksheet.jsp?year=2009&game=200900000025520100105.xml

We are big. We are fast. Don't buy into the ESPN hype.

I've seen plenty of games, and traditionally the Big 10 has lacked overall team speed like some competitors. That is changing, and the Big 10 can no longer be accused of being a "three yards and a cloud of dust" conference, but it's not exactly the Big 12 or the SEC. Or the ACC, for that matter. Ohio State has clearly embraced the Team Speed philosophy, as has Michigan, but not all schools have given themselves up to the concept.

Still, speed alone means nothing. Speed without skill or strength is a waste. That's the balance you have to strike.

And lest any Husker Fans go nuts with talking about our team speed, remember that our S&C coach came from Iowa.

There's no way around the fact that next year's schedule will be quite a bit harder than this year's. If I'm not mistaken, we were favored in every game this year, except for against Oklahoma. You could say we "should" have won every game. But we didn't. As far as next year's schedule, we "could" win every game. That depends on the team improving from this year to next. We get better, we can challenge for the Big Ten title. If not, I'm afraid middle of the pack is possible.

I know this is fun and what forum boards are all about, but how could anyone possibly have any confidence in what product is going to show up on the field week to week. Losses to a horrid Texas, average A&M, beatable OU and one point win over ISU.

No Gomes, Price, Hagg or Henery?

I think we will see a lot of the same next year.

A lot of the same meaning 10-2 and heading to Indianapolis? Sounds fine with me.

You think that if Martinez gets hurt next year we will be near any 10-2 record?

Nobody said anything about Martinez being hurt. But to indulge you, I would say "yes" we could very easily be 10-2 if Martinez goes down halfway through the season like the did this year. Martinez should lead us to 5-1 in the first half, Green/Carnes can handle Minny, NW and Iowa. Also keep in mind that Bo's defenses get significantly better the last half of the season. Can we go 2-1 against Michigan, MSU and Penn St. with Green/Carnes? If Rex is healthy and the defense is as good as it should be by that point, I definitely think so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IqDfi1BoP4

There's no way around the fact that next year's schedule will be quite a bit harder than this year's. If I'm not mistaken, we were favored in every game this year, except for against Oklahoma. You could say we "should" have won every game. But we didn't. As far as next year's schedule, we "could" win every game. That depends on the team improving from this year to next. We get better, we can challenge for the Big Ten title. If not, I'm afraid middle of the pack is possible.

Look at our strength of schedule compared to the best Big 10 teams this year. Not even close. Ohio State or Wisconsin could very well be the only game we aren't favored to win.