First Big 10 schedule not as tough as it looks?

JTrain

Wisconsin will be a very tough game, especially if it is a night game, playing @ Camp Randall under the lights is one of the toughest places to play in the country.

Ohio State at home will be really tough. They lose a decent amount on defense, but pretty much return everyone on offense. How much our secondary grows from after the bowl game until that game will be extremely criticial.

All the other Big 10 games we should win, and I believe we will win. Iowa loses a lot and only went 7-5 this year. Michigan State is good but really didnt play anyone tough this year besides Wisconsin, and they got them at home early in the year. Michigan has a horrible defense, Penn State will be young and inexperienced again, Minnesota will be an easy W and Northwestern shouldnt be too tough.

Overall, while our schedule is tough, its not the murderers row people are making it out to be. Anything less then 9-3 next year and I will be disappointed.

@Wisconsin is a loss, Ohio State and Michigan State are toss ups. Minnesota is the only guaranteed W. Iowa and Penn St are games that should be wins. Michigan and Northwestern are games Nebraska will be favored in, but it comes down to whether or not the blackshirts can stop Robinson and Persa respectively. 6-2 would be a great first season in my opinion.

I fail to see how Wisconsin is a guaranteed loss. I know people characterize Wisconsin as a pound-it-down-your-throat running team, but Scott Tolzien has really been the catalyst to making the offense great this year. He just won the Unitas Award and leads the country in completion percentage. Losing him will hurt no matter how you slice it.

Camp Randall is one of the toughest places to play. The badgers are 32-4 in Camp Randall since they completed their stadium renovations to add seats, and make the visiting locker rooms a lot less opponent friendly. That plus three solid running backs lead me to believe the Huskers are going to have to play a perfect game to win there.

@Wisconsin is a loss, Ohio State and Michigan State are toss ups. Minnesota is the only guaranteed W. Iowa and Penn St are games that should be wins. Michigan and Northwestern are games Nebraska will be favored in, but it comes down to whether or not the blackshirts can stop Robinson and Persa respectively. 6-2 would be a great first season in my opinion.

I fail to see how Wisconsin is a guaranteed loss. I know people characterize Wisconsin as a pound-it-down-your-throat running team, but Scott Tolzien has really been the catalyst to making the offense great this year. He just won the Unitas Award and leads the country in completion percentage. Losing him will hurt no matter how you slice it.

Camp Randall is one of the toughest places to play. The badgers are 32-4 in Camp Randall since they completed their stadium renovations to add seats, and make the visiting locker rooms a lot less opponent friendly. That plus three solid running backs lead me to believe the Huskers are going to have to play a perfect game to win there.

Agreed Camp Randall is a hornet's nest. That atmosphere will be crazy especially if they hype it as "Nebraska's great defense vs The Explosive Badger offense." Hell, I'm even willing to bet this may be the location of College Gameday. Inconsistencies on offense is the only thing that has me worried about our schedule. Bo and Carl will have the defense performing that I am not worried about, however the offense stuttering like it did this year will kill us especially with this schedule. Saying that I am optimistic for a very strong season by the boys.

I don't see anyway NU loses less than 2 games, probably 3. BUT... for those saying the defense will take a step back, I say not so fast. This year they lost the most dominant player in college football, their two starting safeties, a starting DE, and their top two LBs to injury right before the season. There's a chance Alfonzo returns, Crick will be back, the other D-lineman will be a year older, the safeties return. This defense should be very good again next year. The only issue will be size (small linebackers), but Compton and Fisher were almost too slow for this year's defense anyway, they seem more like Big 10 linebackers to me.

The offense is what people should be concerned about.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the loss of Hagg and Gomes is going to be brought up by many. While their losses will hurt, the fact that we're moving to the Big 10 helps alleviate these losses. You will not see Nebraska with a nickel back or running the "peso" week in and week out, the need for these hybrid players will not be as great. Again, the loss of these guys WILL HURT, but not as bad as if we were staying in the Big XII.

I don't see anyway NU loses less than 2 games, probably 3. BUT... for those saying the defense will take a step back, I say not so fast. This year they lost the most dominant player in college football, their two starting safeties, a starting DE, and their top two LBs to injury right before the season. There's a chance Alfonzo returns, Crick will be back, the other D-lineman will be a year older, the safeties return. This defense should be very good again next year. The only issue will be size (small linebackers), but Compton and Fisher were almost too slow for this year's defense anyway, they seem more like Big 10 linebackers to me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the loss of Hagg and Gomes is going to be brought up by many. While their losses will hurt, the fact that we're moving to the Big 10 helps alleviate these losses. You will not see Nebraska with a nickel back or running the "peso" week in and week out, the need for these hybrid players will not be as great. Again, the loss of these guys WILL HURT, but not as bad as if we were staying in the Big XII.

This is pretty much how I feel. Next year's schedule is just absolutely brutal. If we SOMEHOW end up running the table in conference, then just hand us the MNC right on the spot. I don't view the schedule for next year as a very nice welcoming gift to our new conference. <_<

This is pretty much how I feel. Next year's schedule is just absolutely brutal. If we SOMEHOW end up running the table in conference, then just hand us the MNC right on the spot. I don't view the schedule for next year as a very nice welcoming gift to our new conference. <_<

I think of it as a blessing in disguise. Put us up against the top dogs in the conference, prove our mettle, show people what a good decision it was for us to be in this conference, and show people we are back. I am excited just thinking about it.

Predictions like these are ridiculous when we have an offensive coordinator in Watson. Until we get a different offensive coordinator next year will be extremely tough.

If our offense is as poor as it was during tough games this year it'll be hard to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa and maybe both Michigan and Penn State.

Predictions like these are ridiculous when we have an offensive coordinator in Watson. Until we get a different offensive coordinator next year will be extremely tough.

If our offense is as poor as it was during tough games this year it'll be hard to beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa and maybe both Michigan and Penn State.

of course, but remember what the predictions were before the season, then when T-Magic exploded against KSU, we all want this team to win, but I don't think it is all doom and gloom like some think either. To me the Big 10 is still not as good as the Big 12 as far as top to bottom. I also can't believe some are scared about Michigan St... :blink: Some want to say NU was the unbeaten 10-3 well MSU was the best 6-6 11-1 team :lol:

Hardest

Ohio State

Wisconsin

Michigan St.

Iowa

Michigan (without Greg Robinson)

Penn St.

Northwestern

Michigan (with Greg Robinson)

Minnesota

Easiest

I’d group next year in 3 categories:

Tough games, but winnable:

10/08 Ohio State (Lincoln)——They lose both LBs and half of DBs. Best D we’ll face. But NU will be t he best D they face. tOSU’s offense will be better next year.

10/01 Wisconsin (Madison)——Stout D this year, but like tOSU they lose both LBs and half of DBs. Real tough place to play Madison.

11/12 Penn State (State College)——Hard to guage Penn State. Prolly be about even wi Iowa, but in not a home game for NU. Hello Happy Valley.

We *should* win these.

11/26 Iowa (Lincoln)——Very stout defense this year. And next. Won’t have much on offense. Again.

10/29 Michigan St. (Lincoln)——Jekyl and Hyde team. Depends on who shows up.

11/05 Northwestern (Lincoln)——These guys are a wildcard. They’ve been getting better.

I’ll slit my throat if we lose these (ironically, both away games)

11/19 Michigan (Ann Arbor)——The Vulva D is one of the worst in D1. Won’t be much better next yr. Rich Rod might be gone in late Nov. by the time we get to the Big House.

10/22 Minnesota (Minneapolis)——Minny just plain sucks. The trend will continue.

The nice thing about the Wisconsin game is it's early. We won't have showed much up to that point. (see K-State game this year)

Also, these teams are used to playing each other year in and year out. They know the style, tendencies, etc. We'll be a wildcard in every game. Unfortunately for us, we have 8 conference wildcards and they only have 1. However, Bo's defense is suited perfectly for this. It's not as though he has to change scheme each week to defend different offenses.

It will be a fun year, but I agree w/ the OP - it's not as tough as many are making it out to be. 3 of the toughest are home games. Usually late in the season Iowa has returned to irrelavency. My expectations are 6-2, to finish 10-2. Realistically we beat ourselves in 1 other game and end up 9-3.

Ok, but none of this addresses the loss of Tolzien. How many of those 32 wins were with a first year starter at QB and against a top 15 team?

10 and 11 MSU has a lot of parallels with 09 and 10 Iowa. The first year they needed some crazy comebacks and a little luck, but finished in the top 10 with great records. Huge expectations for the next season with a returning QB and lots of experience all the way around. 10 Iowa turned out a massive disappointment, showing that the talent level wasn't actually as elite as expected. 11 MSU ending in the same fashion wouldn't surprise me at all.