Big "10" Trophy names

walksalone

You gotta love the Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year Trophy. Griese-Brees? Sounds like a wet fart to me...

Also, I'm getting sick of Husker fans b*tching about every little thing when something doesn't go our way or someone says something negative about our team. Get over yourselves. Believe it or not, Nebraska is not the center of the universe, nor is it God's chosen land. Who cares if we got one trophy named after a Husker? Have we ever played a down in the Big Ten? Seems to me a majority of Husker fans would b*tch if someone handed them a wrinkly $100 bill instead of a crisp $5...

I love it. Greese-Brees can't stop laughing! :rollin

Yeah most of the names are lame. I dont like the hyphenated theme they have going here. Its like they tried too hard to be fair to the big traditional schools.

But those of you that are clamoring for trophies named after huskers, why does that make sense? Sure, were in the division now, but we dont have any history there. I think that would put us in an awkward situation. We'd be like that stubborn little brother that thinks he's entitled to something without actually earning it. Not to mention the guy that the trophy is named after. What has Osborn or Devaney ever done for the big 10? It just wouldnt seem right.

well thats how i think about it anyway. at the end of the day, they're just names. not that big of a deal

But those of you that are clamoring for trophies named after huskers, why does that make sense? Sure, were in the division now, but we dont have any history there. I think that would put us in an awkward situation. We'd be like that stubborn little brother that thinks he's entitled to something without actually earning it. Not to mention the guy that the trophy is named after. What has Osborn or Devaney ever done for the big 10? It just wouldnt seem right.

well thats how i think about it anyway. at the end of the day, they're just names. not that big of a deal

I'm kind of getting sick of this 'earning it' crap. No offense to anyone but while I am beyond happy to be in the Big 10 I'm not ready to just kind of have all of our accomplishments put into a box and stored away in the corner either. Regardless of being new if your going to start naming trophies after the schools in the conference then....be fair. Don't exclude a school who just so happens to be new in the conference.

Really the trophies are just something to debate about so the bottom line is I'm really excited to be in the Big 10. Very happy about it but as far as the division names and even worse the trophy names go they really dropped the ball on this one. Not a big deal I suppose.

Question that some of the comments here made me think of. Which conference now gets to claim Nebraska's 5 NCs in football. Did the Big 12 claim them when they were talking about how many NCs the conference had or are the ones earned while in the Big 8 relegated to the annals of history as far as conference NCs are concerned?

I e-mailed the Big Ten office on Monday night about what is being discussed in this thread. Today I received a response. Here it is:

Thanks for your patience. I relayed your question to our Chief Communications Officer, Diane Dietz. Her response is posted below.

There are no plans of changing the trophy names in the future but it is likely that new names will be added to the existing trophies over time. How the trophy committee decides who makes the list is a confidential matter kept between the committee itself.

Jim Delany wanted a trophy named after Tom Osborne but Dr. Osborne declined the gesture. Mr. Delany asked Dr. Osborne if he would have any problems with former Nebraska players possibly being honored on a trophy. Dr. Osborne had no issues with it, but suggested that Mr. Delany contact the player(s) for their permission first. Per Mr. Delany's request, Dr. Osborne sent a list of players for consideration.

Why does anyone give a crap what the trophies are named? Good grief...

I think part of it at least for me Hercules is just simple growing pains of coming into a new conference. A conference I'm entirely happy to be in. I guess it's just weird that 'boom' the Big 10 says 'ok guys, here is your new conference name, I hope you guys like it and oh by the way here are some of the trophies you may now have the priviledge of winning. Sorry if only one of the names reflects your program'. It's just a weird feeling is all. I'm super happy to be in the Big 10 but let's face it. There still are some things that are going to take some getting used to. I guess after being so recognized in the Big 8/12 for so long that maybe the whole trophy thing with the names just kind of felt odd and came at a weird time. Our transition into our new conference.

I am sure the entire Big 10 respects the traditions that Nebraska brings. At least I'd like to think so. In the end I think that's good enough for me. Being the new team in the conference I think some things will just take some getting used to but bottom line is that I'm beyond happy that Nebraska is now part of the Big 10.

You gotta love the Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year Trophy. Griese-Brees? Sounds like a wet fart to me...

Also, I'm getting sick of Husker fans b*tching about every little thing when something doesn't go our way or someone says something negative about our team. Get over yourselves. Believe it or not, Nebraska is not the center of the universe, nor is it God's chosen land. Who cares if we got one trophy named after a Husker? Have we ever played a down in the Big Ten? Seems to me a majority of Husker fans would b*tch if someone handed them a wrinkly $100 bill instead of a crisp $5...

Amen about the bitching. This year its "Big XII wants to screw us over so we don't leave a winner" next year it will be "Big 10 doesn't want us to win our first year" Blah blah blah people are always looking for excuses, but no one ever just says "We got outplayed"

I love it. Greese-Brees can't stop laughing! :rollin

Griese-Brees...

Rusty Trombone?

Dirty Sanchez?

Amen about the bitching. This year its "Big XII wants to screw us over so we don't leave a winner" next year it will be "Big 10 doesn't want us to win our first year" Blah blah blah people are always looking for excuses, but no one ever just says "We got outplayed"

we have been over this before

:troll:

please

We are the new kid at school so we don't have alot to be complaining about. Do we bring alot of tradition and things of that nature to the conference? Without a doubt we do, but we can only expect so much. I really could care less about the trophy names. Now the division names, that's another issue altogether. :facepalm:

please

Who the F you calling a troll? Better not be me just because I call it as I see it.

please

Who the F you calling a troll? Better not be me just because I call it as I see it.

I give u respect man. You have a hundred or so posts. The guy commenting on yours has 4 post when I say this and he obviously is looking for an uproar. "Outplayed"