Big "10" Trophy names

walksalone

But Nexus, unless they plan on renaming the trophies every five years, Nebraska essentially gets left out (other than the nod to Rimington). These trophies aren't getting changed, so players like Frazier, Rodgers, Suh, Henery, Rozier, etc. aren't getting into the mix. If they wanted to claim it was only for Big 10 legends, they should have left Rimington off. But putting Rimington on opened the flood gates.

But Nexus, unless they plan on renaming the trophies every five years, Nebraska essentially gets left out (other than the nod to Rimington). These trophies aren't getting changed, so players like Frazier, Rodgers, Suh, Henery, Rozier, etc. aren't getting into the mix. If they wanted to claim it was only for Big 10 legends, they should have left Rimington off. But putting Rimington on opened the flood gates.

This was one of those damned if you do/damned if you don't situations. Several old member schools only got 2 trophy mentions. As far as comments about the people picked not being deserving - they list the accomplishments and reasons for the choices. Granted some of them are kind of weak - but at lesat they didn't just pick people at random. Randel El was derided earlier in the thread but as it mentions he was the first ever to both rush and pass for 40 TDs.

As far as Suh and Henry - the most recent players graduated in 2002 so they wouldn't have been eligible yet anyway it seems. I would guess that these trophy names might chnage over time since nobody will ever remember their names anyway.

You gotta love the Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year Trophy. Griese-Brees? Sounds like a wet fart to me...

Also, I'm getting sick of Husker fans b*tching about every little thing when something doesn't go our way or someone says something negative about our team. Get over yourselves. Believe it or not, Nebraska is not the center of the universe, nor is it God's chosen land. Who cares if we got one trophy named after a Husker? Have we ever played a down in the Big Ten? Seems to me a majority of Husker fans would b*tch if someone handed them a wrinkly $100 bill instead of a crisp $5...

Thanks, my office now knows I look at Huskerboard at work!!!!

+infinity to you, sir!

Archie Griffin being left off the trophy names is a greater "slight" than any Husker being left off. How he failed to get his name on the RB trophy is beyond me. I don't care what kind of stats Ron Dayne put up, he wasn't half the RB Archie Griffin was. Alan Ameche might have been a fine player, but unless he's a household name (and I would bet half the people in B1G 10 land had to look him up), he shouldn't be on this trophy.

Starting in 2011 we'll have our chance to carve out our legacy in the Big Ten for many years to come.

I completely understand where you're coming from, the only problem I see with this is that these trophy names aren't going to change. This is the Big10 we're talking about. T-Mart could go out and win back-back-back Heismans and never sniff one these pieces of hardware. Not only will the names not change, the damn trophy will probably be 75 years old before it's finally damanaged and replaced. What you see, is what you get. 5 national championships, 20 conference championships, 10 heismans trophies over the next 50 years...we'll still be paying "homage" to the orginal 10 with trophies and other things named after individuals with lesser accomplishments. The only thing we can "earn" is the right to display most of these trophies in our glass case. (which will be good enough for me :))

What about the Woody Hayes punch of the year award?

What's funny is, I have vague recollections of the Huskers 1978 season, like the angst that we had to play Oklahoma twice and how upset everyone was when we lost to Missouri, but I have very clear recollections of Woody Hayes punching that Clemson player.

Can't say he didn't deserve it, though. He was a Clemson player, after all. ;)

What about the Woody Hayes punch of the year award?

What's funny is, I have vague recollections of the Huskers 1978 season, like the angst that we had to play Oklahoma twice and how upset everyone was when we lost to Missouri, but I have very clear recollections of Woody Hayes punching that Clemson player.

Can't say he didn't deserve it, though. He was a Clemson player, after all. ;)

pg2_a_hayes01_600.jpg

Archie Griffin being left off the trophy names is a greater "slight" than any Husker being left off. How he failed to get his name on the RB trophy is beyond me. I don't care what kind of stats Ron Dayne put up, he wasn't half the RB Archie Griffin was. Alan Ameche might have been a fine player, but unless he's a household name (and I would bet half the people in B1G 10 land had to look him up), he shouldn't be on this trophy.

He wasn't left off. He was given probably the highest honor (for a player at least) along with Red Grange on the CCG MVP trophy: Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP