Potential OC, post-Watson

Roark

There seems to be a lot of talk about Watson leaving and it appears as though the consensus amongst Nebraska fans is one of "good riddance." My question: Who is a viable candidate for his replacement (besides Solich)? I am currently employed at a place of business that allows me to talk about Husker football nearly every time I work, and I hear a lot about Watson being the Spawn of Satan, yet few can give me a straight answer as to who would replace him and why. Possible available names: Leach, Jagodzinski, Chow, McElwain, Whipple? It seems like many of these coaches would be incompatible with Bo/the direction of the program... Are there any offensive masterminds in the shadows that would be potential candidates? I'd be interested to hear what you all have to think.

Leach would be excellent, but we don't have the players to run his scheme (Air Raid) and he is probably not content to settle for anything less than a head coaching gig. I actually think he'd do well in the ACC at a school like Maryland.

Chow is a good OC, but I don't believe we have the players to run his scheme (Pro Style) and I really don't see him leaving the west coast.

I don't recognize the other names you threw up, but I think the most likely scenario is that Tim Beck takes over as OC, Brown coaches both WR and TE, and we bring in two new coaches to coach up the QBs and RBs.

I think Tim Beck would probably be the guy if Watson leaves. The only other guys I've even heard been mentioned as possibilities are Frost, Solich, and Mangino.

yeah.gif

It is obvious that Watts didnt have full control of this offense. Bo had alot to do with #1 T-mart starting (because he was enamored with his legs and him running allover his D, which in Bo's egotistical mind, is the best D in the Universe.) #2 Bo wants to have control of the offense to some degree and neb wont get a top notch OC with that in mind. The phantom OC that would come in, would want full control and Bo wont allow that. So with that said, Beck will be Bo's puppet for the next few years until there is another uproar from us (the fans) and a lack-luster performance from the O in big games against top notch Defenses. So in conclusion, Bo knows defense. He feels that his defense can win every game. Which is a great thing, accept the O needs to score points to relieve the D and win a few games when the D is lackluster. Everyone has a bad day now and again.

• Fire 1

I think Tim Beck would probably be the guy if Watson leaves. The only other guys I've even heard been mentioned as possibilities are Frost, Solich, and Mangino.

yeah.gif

It is obvious that Watts didnt have full control of this offense. Bo had alot to do with #1 T-mart starting (because he was enamored with his legs and him running allover his D, which in Bo's egotistical mind, is the best D in the Universe.) #2 Bo wants to have control of the offense to some degree and neb wont get a top notch OC with that in mind. The phantom OC that would come in, would want full control and Bo wont allow that. So with that said, Beck will be Bo's puppet for the next few years until there is another uproar from us (the fans) and a lack-luster performance from the O in big games against top notch Defenses. So in conclusion, Bo knows defense. He feels that his defense can win every game. Which is a great thing, accept the O needs to score points to relieve the D and win a few games when the D is lackluster. Everyone has a bad day now and again.

Totally disagree.

Any OC who produces results will not hear any grief from Bo whatsoever.

yeah.gif

Totally disagree.

agree.

yeah.gif

Totally disagree.

Bo wanted to run this O. Watts did not want to run strictly spread offense. This is Bo's doing as far as "results" are concerned. Not Watts. I would like to see Watts leave, but personally feel bad for the guy that he didnt get a fair shake. Under Cala*%n, he didnt get credit for anything because he wasnt calling the plays, now Bo has major input in the O and watts gets all the blame. Not 100% his fault.

My beef with Beck is that I believe that Nebraska, being a top tier program, deserves a top tier OC. Giving the go to a familiar name within the program may be the nice thing to do, but the fact is that Beck is unproven as a playcaller (unless you count his stint as "pass game coordinator" at Kansas). Is it worth the gamble to promote a position coach when Nebraska is striving to become a championship team? I think Borges would be an exciting prospect. I remember watching an amazing Auburn team under his playcalling, and SDSU (Eh.. Aztecs) is no slouch offensively this year either.

yeah.gif

Totally disagree.

Bo wanted to run this O. Watts did not want to run strictly spread offense. This is Bo's doing as far as "results" are concerned. Not Watts. I would like to see Watts leave, but personally feel bad for the guy that he didnt get a fair shake. Under Cala*%n, he didnt get credit for anything because he wasnt calling the plays, now Bo has major input in the O and watts gets all the blame. Not 100% his fault.

really?.......i think Wats ran the show, Bo needs to run the whole show starting now.

• Fire 1

1. Bo has input into the offense, but I can't imagine this is the offense he wants. This is some unsightly west coast/spread option hybrid that seems to be the result of two different philosophies and identities clashing.

2. As for Mike Leach... people complain about Bo Pelini not fitting the mold of what a Nebraska coach should look like, and now we're talking about Mike Leach?! Furthermore, I think it's a bad idea to build a pass-happy offense at a school with a tradition in smashmouth football, in a state that breeds offensive lineman and not wide receivers, and in a climate that is often windy, and come November is less than friendly to a "fun n' gun" offense.

3. I think Nebraska is a great program, but "top tier" is defined differently by lots of people. Nebraska has not won a national championship since 1997. Since then, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Miami, Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC, Tennessee, and Ohio State have won national championships. Auburn or Oregon will soon join that list. Current recruits don't know about 1990's Nebraska. They don't know who Tommie Frazier is - when they think of #15, they think of Tim Tebow. Nebraska hasn't won a conference championship since 1999 and any current high school recruit (save those from Nebraska) can't remember the last time we beat Texas.

Does Nebraska have great facilities? Sure, but not any better than probably 20 or so other schools. Does Nebraska have great support from the administration? Well, our head coach was just publicly admonished by our chancellor, and our coaches' salaries are pretty average compared to the rest of our conference. Do we have great fan support? Well, we'll show up to every game, and you'll be on a bigger stage than any other college football coach in America, but we're also not that loud and we'll treat a 10-3 season like most schools treat a 5-7 season.

So, why do we say we are a "top tier" school? I mean, I think Nebraska is special, but basically what made us special in the past was that we were in the national title conversation most years from 1970-2001. Now, it's been 13 years since we've won a national championship, and Oregon has officially passed us up as a college football powerhouse, so I'm not sure how much more we can keep throwing our name around with those other schools until we actually win some kind of championship (other than the Big 12 north division).

I don't really want one of those "top tier" OC's people are talking about (and even if I did, I don't think we'd get him) unless there's one out there who is 100% committed to a physical running game. I don't care if we get some 5* OC with 18 years of playcalling experience. Let's just get the Rex Burkhead of OC's in here, whose offense is going to reflect the personality of our defense (and of Burkhead): Fast, physical, smart, and disciplined.

people complain about Bo Pelini not fitting the mold of what a Nebraska coach should look like

Certainly the first time I've heard anything like this. His outbursts are one thing, but that fire is exactly the mold of what a Nebraska coach should look like IMO. I have never once heard someone say Bo isn't the perfect fit for Nebraska.

3. I think Nebraska is a great program, but "top tier" is defined differently by lots of people. Nebraska has not won a national championship since 1997. Since then, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Miami, Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC, Tennessee, and Ohio State have won national championships. Auburn or Oregon will soon join that list. Current recruits don't know about 1990's Nebraska. They don't know who Tommie Frazier is - when they think of #15, they think of Tim Tebow. Nebraska hasn't won a conference championship since 1999 and any current high school recruit (save those from Nebraska) can't remember the last time we beat Texas.

I don't think I'd measure NU by the wins against Texas, or the recognition of our players. You are only looking at the last 10 years. I know kids have short memories - but we are talking about coaches here. I'm sorry but the days of decade long dominance is over. Ohio State has only won a single NC in 40 years and it wasn't long ago they were having 4 win seasons. Florida State, same way. Miami hasn't been relevant in 8 years. LSU was bordline ready to fire their coach at the beginning of the year after a couple down years. Alabama is coming off the initial high of landing Saban. Tennessee? Don't need to explain that one. If you define "top tier" as "top-team" then yeah, we haven't been the top team in 13 years. But if you think Tennessee ranks above us because they have won an NC since our last one, followed by a handful of losing seasons then I'd have to argue with you there. We are definately in that top tier in regards to coaching destinations. Might not be the top 5 greatest places, or even the top 10 because recruiting is infiniately more difficult here...but I'd say we'd settle comfortably into that top 15 which is how most probably define that "tier"

Oregon has officially passed us up as a college football powerhouse

I think it takes more than a single season to consider yourself a powerhouse. Is Auburn a powerhouse now? Certainly Boise State must be one if Oregon is. Oregon had 6 losses in 06, 4 in 07, 3 in 08, 3 in 09. Sorry, not exactly a perenial powerhouse.

I think you are putting FAR too much emphasis on a pinpoint worth of results. Don't forget, in the last 40 years Nebraska has only failed to get 9 wins a few times. Teams like Ohio State failed reached that mark 11-12 times during that span including some REALLY bad seasons. 9 wins is what we are used to, it's the status quo for Nebraska football. People act like it's a sin to complain about a 10 win season - but in reality 10 is pretty much average for the Huskers. So if there are blatantly obvious reasons why we still remain average...then they have the right to post a few complaints on a forum and not be called out as "bad fans" like some paint them out to be. If you're happy with 10 wins every year because you're so scared to death we might see a repeat of the few abnormal seasons we had under Billy, then that's understandable...but we will probably lose that top tier designation I feel we are firmly planted in. Some of us aren't ready to concede that designation just to keep our "average" Husker football team again.

Take a look at Auburn, Oregon, LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, USC, etc. What do they all have in common prior to their NC runs? Change. Auburn 2 years ago, Oregon 2 years ago, Florida a couple years before their NC runs, Oklahoma 3 years before, USC a few years before. Change isn't always bad.

• Fire 2