Potential OC, post-Watson

Roark

Dr Tom has done many great things for this program, but being a stellar OC wasnt one of them IMO. I grew up watching the 80s teams, and i swear we only had 10 or 12 plays in the book. My older brothers and i used to laugh at how easily we could watch the game and call the plays before they even happened. Basically the same playbook worked in the 90s when he finally got the horses to run his system to perfection.

I said Dr. Tom in jest, but to say that he wasn't a great OC is laughable at best. Being predictable and pounding your opponent into the ground was part of his gameplan. Then he would lull you to sleep and slip a play-action pass over your head for a TD. Besides, what looks like the same 10-12 plays to the novice is likely 25-30 different plays due to blocking schemes, alignments, etc.

Dr Tom has done many great things for this program, but being a stellar OC wasnt one of them IMO. I grew up watching the 80s teams, and i swear we only had 10 or 12 plays in the book. My older brothers and i used to laugh at how easily we could watch the game and call the plays before they even happened. Basically the same playbook worked in the 90s when he finally got the horses to run his system to perfection.

I said Dr. Tom in jest, but to say that he wasn't a great OC is laughable at best. Being predictable and pounding your opponent into the ground was part of his gameplan. Then he would lull you to sleep and slip a play-action pass over your head for a TD. Besides, what looks like the same 10-12 plays to the novice is likely 25-30 different plays due to blocking schemes, alignments, etc.

goes to show you that 30 plays executed correctly trumps 400 plays executed poorly any day.

goes to show you that 30 plays executed correctly trumps 400 plays executed poorly any day.

Yep.

That and having an identity helps boatloads.

Also...it's not about quantity of the plays, it's about know WHEN to run the plays (once they're set up).

So who complains about their OC more? Us or LSU?

Just my opinion here.. but if Taylor doesn't get hurt vs Mizzou, and rolls all the way through the season and the title game had a different outcome(because of him being 100%) no one would be griping about Watson right now. No doubt last year was horrible, but I'd really like to see what how a season would go if he had a healthy QB for an entire season, who knows how to run his system like Taylor does.

I really, really, really like the offense Al Borges is running at SDSU. Its very balanced and smart.

The only problem is if Rich Rod is out at michigan this year I think SDSU HC Brady Hoke would be the leading candidate at michigan. In that case there would be an opening at sdsu and I think Borges will get that. And if not this year then rich rod could be out next year and if we got Borges next year he might go back to sdsu after just one year if Hoke ends up at michigan then.

So would it be worth one year if it was a possibility? I don't know.

I really, really, really like the offense Al Borges is running at SDSU. Its very balanced and smart.

The only problem is if Rich Rod is out at michigan this year I think SDSU HC Brady Hoke would be the leading candidate at michigan. In that case there would be an opening at sdsu and I think Borges will get that. And if not this year then rich rod could be out next year and if we got Borges next year he might go back to sdsu after just one year if Hoke ends up at michigan then.

Hoke might be in the mix at UM, but the job is Harbaugh's if he wants it. After RichRod is fired this coming season, Harbaugh's options will be to (1) stay at Stanford, (2) take over at Michigan, or (3) go to the pros. But make no mistake, UM would instantly hire him if he'd go.

Hoke might be in the mix at UM, but the job is Harbaugh's if he wants it. After RichRod is fired this coming season, Harbaugh's options will be to (1) stay at Stanford, (2) take over at Michigan, or (3) go to the pros. But make no mistake, UM would instantly hire him if he'd go.

Michigan would jump through flaming hoops if they could hire him "now".

i believe watson is a good offensive cord, he does what he can with the talent he has....watts has been on the radar as offensive cord by some really good coaches, so he must have something going for him.....

Yep, with the whole nation knowing he's "very", very available look at all those job offers he's getting everywhere.

He better hope there's a SunBelt team that will take him.