Potential OC, post-Watson

Roark

So what is the update on Watsons status. Is there any new info. Or is this just Christmas wishlist time. Is he gone or is it still up in the air? The other Watson thread is like a freaking harry potter book. I don't feel like reading all that. So what is the word?

Dont bother, I posted some info from miami redhawk messageboard, but it pretty much went unnoticed. Their coaching search thread is the samething, very little info actually on their. I believe Watson is a finalist, we should know before the Holiday Bowl,fwiw.

Thank you straight talk. Jeese ppl are bored

So what is the update on Watsons status. Is there any new info. Or is this just Christmas wishlist time. Is he gone or is it still up in the air? The other Watson thread is like a freaking harry potter book. I don't feel like reading all that. So what is the word?

Dont bother, I posted some info from miami redhawk messageboard, but it pretty much went unnoticed. Their coaching search thread is the samething, very little info actually on their. I believe Watson is a finalist, we should know before the Holiday Bowl,fwiw.

Thank you straight talk. Jeese ppl are bored

thank gawd there are other bored people like me out there. otherwise huskerboard would be boring as crap without anything new to read.

you want straight talk you can go here or here.. results will vary however. :LOLtartar

Scott Frost. We already copy Oregon's offense and nobody has a better knowledge of it. Easy transition, popular among fans, keeps our recruiting ties to the west coast, and would be a good mentor to a young QB.

Like I have said in numerous threads where people mention Scott Frost, Mike Grant (yes former NU QB) has done more in his coaching career then Frost has and with a lot less mind you. Anything he did with the WR corp while at Iowa State trumps ANYTHING Frost has done as a coach.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24292&SPID=1922&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=1413825&Q_SEASON=2010

Disagree. Look at some of the minds that Frost has played for/coached with: Osborne, Walsh, Kelly, Belotti....

With that said, I'm not sure Frost is ready to be an OC yet, but I'd like to see him back. I also have heard that he and Bo don't see eye to eye.

With that being said, how about a guy that is close, someone who knows a little about offense, a guy we could get for next to nothing, a guy who we know loves Nebraska

Dr. Tom Osborne

Dr Tom has done many great things for this program, but being a stellar OC wasnt one of them IMO. I grew up watching the 80s teams, and i swear we only had 10 or 12 plays in the book. My older brothers and i used to laugh at how easily we could watch the game and call the plays before they even happened. Basically the same playbook worked in the 90s when he finally got the horses to run his system to perfection.

To answer the OPs question, I think it will probably be Beck.If not him it will need to be someone with strong Nebraska ties to put up with the scrutiny that they will endure here. Leach, or Mangino for that matter arent going to happen, but can you imagine either of them co-existing with Pellini. I think guys like that with Dynamic, hard-headed personalities (especially after already being head coaches) would not work well.

dont get me wrong, im not a a bring scott frost to nebraska guy. he's a solid young coach. an offensive coordinator? hardly.

for crying out loud oregon is making hay with a down USC. they are the Kansas circa 2007 of the big 12. And I dont care how great their offense works, in 2-3 years, maybe even less, its going to be irrelevant. In fact I fully expect it to be exposed next month, when they get in a trenchfight with a SEC team. Its another flash in the pan system. Some parts of it will stay and be used, but as a system its just not fully fleshed out.

The spread option isn't a flash in the pan system. It's the new look of option football, which has been around forever. You're like the guy that said that the I-formation was a flash in the pan system when people started to move towards it and away from the wishbone. The spread option is still built on the same principles that formed Tom Osborne's attack in the 80's and 90's.

I honestly think Oregon will get exposed a little bit next month too, but I think it's their athletes and their execution that's going to get exposed, not their system. Besides, Auburn runs a different variation of the same offense. In the last four years, Florida has won 2 national championships with the spread option system. It's nothing new, and it's not going away. It's not a gimmick.

i think i wasnt clear enough. the way oregon fully depends on it is a gimmick. the one team that stood up to them this year, came after their asses and didnt get freaked out on the ends when they were left unblocked basically shut them down. oregon didnt have anything else to go to. they couldnt line up and run it. they couldnt line up and pass it. they kept running that damn zone option read thingie and getting stuffed. auburn will have the horses to finish unlike cal, coupled with an offense that can score.

Yeah, they had one bad game against Cal... who faked injuries because they otherwise couldn't slow Oregon down.

And when Oregon needed to run 6 minutes of clock off to win that game, they did so by handing the ball up the middle and churning out chunks of yards on the ground. The last drive of that game old-school, just out of the shotgun.

Honestly, I don't think Auburn will shut down Oregon. I think they'll put up plenty of points, and they'll control the clock, but I think Oregon's going to put some points up. I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see a 42-28 type game.

cal was a 5-7 team this year-that brings another thing to mind--3 of their wins were in the supposedly toughest conference in the land-- auburn is a whole different beast.

if oregon can run the ball up the middle on auburn at the end of the game to finish it off ill wear a tutu with a rose in my mouth and post pictures on huskerboard.

DEAL. I'll hold you to it.

I think Tim Beck would probably be the guy if Watson leaves. The only other guys I've even heard been mentioned as possibilities are Frost, Solich, and Mangino.

yeah.gif

It is obvious that Watts didnt have full control of this offense. Bo had alot to do with #1 T-mart starting (because he was enamored with his legs and him running allover his D, which in Bo's egotistical mind, is the best D in the Universe.) #2 Bo wants to have control of the offense to some degree and neb wont get a top notch OC with that in mind. The phantom OC that would come in, would want full control and Bo wont allow that. So with that said, Beck will be Bo's puppet for the next few years until there is another uproar from us (the fans) and a lack-luster performance from the O in big games against top notch Defenses. So in conclusion, Bo knows defense. He feels that his defense can win every game. Which is a great thing, accept the O needs to score points to relieve the D and win a few games when the D is lackluster. Everyone has a bad day now and again.

Totally disagree.

Any OC who produces results will not hear any grief from Bo whatsoever.

Bo wanted to run this O. Watts did not want to run strictly spread offense. This is Bo's doing as far as "results" are concerned. Not Watts. I would like to see Watts leave, but personally feel bad for the guy that he didnt get a fair shake. Under Cala*%n, he didnt get credit for anything because he wasnt calling the plays, now Bo has major input in the O and watts gets all the blame. Not 100% his fault.

really?.......i think Wats ran the show, Bo needs to run the whole show starting now.

Bo had a lot more say on the offensive side of the football than people think.

Greg Studrawa is my pick. I would like an experienced OC with a strong OL emphasis. Barney Cotton looks like that guy on paper, but is not at all what we need as an OC. I think Greg Studrawa would be a great fit. Bo wanted him on the staff in the first place from what I am told.

Scott Frost. We already copy Oregon's offense and nobody has a better knowledge of it. Easy transition, popular among fans, keeps our recruiting ties to the west coast, and would be a good mentor to a young QB.

Like I have said in numerous threads where people mention Scott Frost, Mike Grant (yes former NU QB) has done more in his coaching career then Frost has and with a lot less mind you. Anything he did with the WR corp while at Iowa State trumps ANYTHING Frost has done as a coach.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24292&SPID=1922&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=1413825&Q_SEASON=2010

Disagree. Look at some of the minds that Frost has played for/coached with: Osborne, Walsh, Kelly, Belotti....

Frost didn't coach with Belotti. He went to Oregon in 2009 the year Kelly took over. Mike Grant also played for T.O. Like I said what Mike Grant did at ISU trumps anything Scott Frost has done as a coach so far.

I think Tim Beck would probably be the guy if Watson leaves. The only other guys I've even heard been mentioned as possibilities are Frost, Solich, and Mangino.

yeah.gif

It is obvious that Watts didn't have full control of this offense. Bo had alot to do with #1 T-mart starting (because he was enamored with his legs and him running allover his D, which in Bo's egotistical mind, is the best D in the Universe.) #2 Bo wants to have control of the offense to some degree and Neb wont get a top notch OC with that in mind. The phantom OC that would come in, would want full control and Bo wont allow that. So with that said, Beck will be Bo's puppet for the next few years until there is another uproar from us (the fans) and a lack-luster performance from the O in big games against top notch Defenses. So in conclusion, Bo knows defense. He feels that his defense can win every game. Which is a great thing, accept the O needs to score points to relieve the D and win a few games when the D is lackluster. Everyone has a bad day now and again.

Bo may have insisted on TM playing, but Wats is calling the plays and supposedly developing the players...problem is still with us...and the zone read has Wats written all over it!

Bo had a lot more say on the offensive side of the football than people think.

Greg Studrawa is my pick. I would like an experienced OC with a strong OL emphasis. Barney Cotton looks like that guy on paper, but is not at all what we need as an OC. I think Greg Studrawa would be a great fit. Bo wanted him on the staff in the first place from what I am told.

Studrawa as OC, rather than OL or are you envisioning a co-OC with Beck? Wouldn't mind replacing Barney in the process, not sure if thta is going to happen. I keep hearing conflicting stuff on Bo wanting Barney, or not wanting him, in the first place. Either ways, I hope he's not wanting him by now.

i believe watson is a good offensive cord, he does what he can with the talent he has....watts has been on the radar as offensive cord by some really good coaches, so he must have something going for him.....

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Right, which is why he is having a heck of a time getting a new job. Oh well....

Frost didn't coach with Belotti. He went to Oregon in 2009 the year Kelly took over. Mike Grant also played for T.O. Like I said what Mike Grant did at ISU trumps anything Scott Frost has done as a coach so far.

I stand corrected on the Belotti blast, but taking nothing away from Grant, Frost has played for and worked with some great, great football minds. I have a hard time believing that a guy as smart as he is has not learned alot from these coaches.