Brook Berringer

95huskers

In the spring of 1996, I was 12 years old. I grew up in a small town near Norfolk, Ne. Brook was in Norfolk for an autograph signing. My father took me there and I had a Nebraska Pennant that i wanted him to sign. I waited in line for over an hour. My Dad said to me "when he signs it, put out your hand to shake his and I will take a picture" so I did. My small hand in his HUGE hand with a big smile on his face. I felt like I had met the President of the United States. My Dad made a poster of that picture of him shaking my hand and I dreamed of the day I would once play football for the Huskers. We have all lived this dream growing up!

My Dad's house burnt down 2 years ago in February, and that poster went up in smoke with it. But the image of that day still is embedded in my brain. I will never forget what a true role model this man was, and the legacy he left behind. This is my greatest moment as a Husker Fan. What is yours?

• Fire 1

ive told this on here a time or twelve, so ill give the cliff notes.

after Brook died, I sent a letter to his family.

Jan sent me an autographed poster back, with a post it note from her thanking me. i was blown away then, and i was in junior high. typing it out now makes me oddly uncomfortable as well. it sits in my pops basement. its safe there. ;)

do you remember he started SEVEN games that national title year? Came back in after Tommy threw an interception in the title game and tossed a TD pass?

I wanted nothing more than a Nebraska QB to play in the NFL at that time. He would have done it, no doubt in my mind.

not sure if this is meant to be a total Brook thread, but thats what I got. Brook was kinda a big deal to me. And if you watch the video, im not afraid to admit i feel my eyeballs well up when they show Dr Tom. I cant help it.

I'll just always remember the way he carried himself. If he was yanked for Tommie, so be it. There would be Brook on the sideline, rooting for his team even though any young man in his position would almost certainly be inclined to get angry, pout, feel robbed, ect.

He exemplified a lot of what NU fans identify with in the first place; hard work, a good teammate, integrity.

Merry Christmas, Brook. You are missed still. RIP brother.

brook.jpg

I remember the day he died. I just couldn't believe something like that could happen. Such tremendous potential, such a great person. Gone in a flash.

Anyone here read the book about him, "One Final Pass"? Might be a good read. I think his mom helped write it.

brook.jpg

I remember the day he died. I just couldn't believe something like that could happen. Such tremendous potential, such a great person. Gone in a flash.

Anyone here read the book about him, "One Final Pass"? Might be a good read. I think his mom helped write it.

Still have my copy of the book. Brook was the one actually helping out on the writing and sadly we all know what happened before he would ever see it published.

Kyle Orton used to wear the number 18 in honor of Brook, not sure if many people knew that. Orton was a Husker fan growing up.

• Fire 1

I knew Brooke somewhat personally and very well through family. He grew up and played within 60 miles from me, and my aunt and uncle live in Goodland. My two cousins knew him very well and went to school with him. When he first went to Lincoln, the housing department lost his application. My uncle is the one that actually got him set up to live with a friend of my uncle's because back then anyway an incoming freshman either had to live in a dorm, frat., or with a guardian. My uncle got him set up with his friend as Brooke's guardian. He was a great athlete, but I honestly never thought he'd see the field much when he went to Lincoln. In high school, he basically rode the pine for three years because the coaches son was the QB even though Brooke was a lot better. Plus, he didn't exactly fit the mold of QB's TO was bringing in at the time. I figured he'd get moved to WR or something. Over the years, I've known several players and many of them were walkons. The one thing each and everyone of them have told me is that almost every player whether it be scholarship or walkon has a window of opportunity. For some, the window is very small. If one doesn't take full advantage of that window, they rarely if ever see the field again. Brooke made the best of his window of opportunity. While it is highly speculative, Brooke very well would have been drafted by at least the fourth round into the NFL had he lived. If Frazier doesn't go down to injury, no one in the NFL would have even known who Berringer was. It's funny how life works out sometimes.

I have a coat autographed by Brook,Tommie and Lawrence Phillips. Now too small for me, too big for my wife, and years away from fitting my 2 small boys. Still a great day getting it and a hell of a souvenir!!

I'm not sure I would want to wear it. Sounds like a awesome coat. I always cheered for Brook I grew up in Western Kansas too and seeing a farm kid from my area have that kind of success always motivated me.

My wife had a bit of a crush on Brook and one day while she was working at her father's Dairy Queen in Crete, Brook walked in one day to get something to eat while taking a break from pheasant hunting. She saw him get out of his vehicle and ran to the back of the DQ to check her make up. While applying some, she said to the other girls, "If anyone but me waits on him, they are fired!"

I remember that day Brook passed. I was in grade school and all of us were playing football on the playground after school. Some girl came and said Brook died in a plane crash. We all thought she was just messing with us(u know how kids are at that age), we kept giving her crap and telling her basically to shut up. Then a teacher came out and told us, then i knew it was serious. The football game abruptly ended, we all went our seperate ways without saying anything. I started sobing on my way home, thinking about the Orange Bowl game and how sorry I felt for the team and his family. A neighbor lady saw me asked what was wrong, not that she couldnt figured it out. I told her that Brook died in a murmur head down at the ground sorta way and just kept walking the few houses remaining to home.

When the book came out, I believe it was a few months later. It appeared on my front porch one afternoon. Only read it once 14 years ago...... might have to pick it up again.