Update on Martinez Rumor

ladyhawke

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/23768/report-clarifies-taylor-martinez-rumors

Can't you just post the straight link?

Speed, I think it's interesting how his dad is stepping in with all this damage control stuff now, at a time when it was mostly forgotten about.

Martinez's father, Casey Martinez, talked to the Los Angeles Times, and shed some light on what happened that night and addressed rumors that swirled the next day of Martinez's desire to transfer after he missed a team workout.

Martinez had sustained a leg injury in the first quarter of that game, and Casey was concerned enough to place a cellphone call while his son was still in the locker room. Taylor took the call — a violation of team rules — to assure his father that he was OK. When word of that conversation got back to Pelini, the coach flipped.

Making matters worse, Taylor chose to skip a voluntary team workout the next day — such sessions are routinely attended by all key team personnel — after talking the situation over with Casey.

"Maybe [that] wasn't the politically correct thing to do," Casey now says.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/23768/report-clarifies-taylor-martinez-rumors

Speed, I think it's interesting how his dad is stepping in with all this damage control stuff now, at a time when it was mostly forgotten about.

Martinez's father, Casey Martinez, talked to the Los Angeles Times, and shed some light on what happened that night and addressed rumors that swirled the next day of Martinez's desire to transfer after he missed a team workout.

Martinez had sustained a leg injury in the first quarter of that game, and Casey was concerned enough to place a cellphone call while his son was still in the locker room. Taylor took the call — a violation of team rules — to assure his father that he was OK. When word of that conversation got back to Pelini, the coach flipped.

Making matters worse, Taylor chose to skip a voluntary team workout the next day — such sessions are routinely attended by all key team personnel — after talking the situation over with Casey.

Good point zoogs, but I hate the timing of this. I dont understand why Casey Martinez waited until now to finally talk about it. Maybe he never really wnated to talk about it in the first place? But all in all, the whole Bo and Taylor fiasco has become a little overbearing in the last month.

I was going to post the straight link but was nervous about doing that given the 'copyright' provisions? I guess I'm not totally clear on the rules of what we can post and can't post. Sorry

Ah, I see, sorry.

It's just that you can't copy whole article texts and reproduce them here. A link to the article is always fine.

I was going to post the straight link but was nervous about doing that given the 'copyright' provisions? I guess I'm not totally clear on the rules of what we can post and can't post. Sorry

Ah, I see, sorry.

It's just that you can't copy whole article texts and reproduce them here. A link to the article is always fine.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to clarify :) GO BIG RED!!

I find the timing of this odd as well. It makes the Martinez's seem as though they need to be in the spotlight. Just when it was blowing over he had to go out to a major news outlet to dig it all back up agian. Evidently he didnt take his own advice on what is PC and what isnt.

Im not going to feed any rumors or fuel any speculation. Just gonna state a very passionate opinion. If a player-no matter talent offer or production level-has any second thoughts whatsoever about being a part of this place, then i would rather have them gone altogether. This is why so many high ranked recruiting classes dont turn out worth a damn, theyre there for all the wrong reasons. Osborne knew this, and I think Bo does too. I'll take a 3 star who wants to be here over a blue chip who has doubts any day.

Believe it or not, players don't play football as a service to the fanbase. They play because it is something they want to do and enjoy doing, both playing, and being part of a team...and, getting to go to school for free doesn't hurt as well. To that end, players have to find the best situations for themselves to be in, and I'm sure almost every player at one point or another has evaluated and thought about giving up or leaving.

Taylor skipping a voluntary meeting after talking with his dad is something I find interesting though.

Im not going to feed any rumors or fuel any speculation. Just gonna state a very passionate opinion. If a player-no matter talent offer or production level-has any second thoughts whatsoever about being a part of this place, then i would rather have them gone altogether. This is why so many high ranked recruiting classes dont turn out worth a damn, theyre there for all the wrong reasons. Osborne knew this, and I think Bo does too. I'll take a 3 star who wants to be here over a blue chip who has doubts any day.

I'm with you. I would much rather have a walk on who loves the game-has passion for the game and for the Huskers. Those are the kids that can be molded to play however you want them to play.