Martinez as "Slash"

Washusker

HE'S A FRESHMAN WHO BROKE RECORDS FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!!! GIVE HIM TIME!!!

i understand that, but i never saw a more confused look, even Green seems to show better presence in the pocket now..let him compete, but grade his arm and ability to manage the game, not his breakaway speed...passing first, running last.

Theres two things to that for me:

1. If we do happen to go to Green or Turner or Carnes next year that will mean that we will have 4 first year starting qb's in 4 straight years. If one is better than play him but it's damn hard to create continuity and great timing when you're constantly having different guys throw you the ball.

2. Unless Green starts that means that we will be starting a different RS Frosh/True Frosh for the second year in a row. We would go through the same growing pains that we went through this year. Maybe not to the extent that we went through w/ Taylor's complete lack (shockingly lack) of pocket presence but still frosh growing pains.

I agree with this.

Theres two things to that for me:

1. If we do happen to go to Green or Turner or Carnes next year that will mean that we will have 4 first year starting qb's in 4 straight years. If one is better than play him but it's damn hard to create continuity and great timing when you're constantly having different guys throw you the ball.

2. Unless Green starts that means that we will be starting a different RS Frosh/True Frosh for the second year in a row. We would go through the same growing pains that we went through this year. Maybe not to the extent that we went through w/ Taylor's complete lack (shockingly lack) of pocket presence but still frosh growing pains.

This is very shortsighted thinking. The only way sticking with a sophomore Martinez would even be slightly preferable to starting a redshirt freshman like Carnes is if we don't make significant changes to the offensive scheme. But even if sticking with a sophomore Martinez is slightly preferable to starting another redshirt freshman, we are foregoing the long-term benefit we'd realize from that redshirt freshman's sophomore season. True, starting Carnes in 2011 might give us another mistake free year, but it would also give us a real solid possibility of winning in 2012. If we stick with Martinez just for the sake of consistency in 2011, we are largely delaying the inevitable since 2012 will be plenty rough.

The best solution of all might be to have CG start. At least he has already started some games and is undefeated as our starter.

HE'S A FRESHMAN WHO BROKE RECORDS FOR GOD'S SAKES!!!! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!!! GIVE HIM TIME!!!

i understand that, but i never saw a more confused look, even Green seems to show better presence in the pocket now..let him compete, but grade his arm and ability to manage the game, not his breakaway speed...passing first, running last.

This.

This is why I suggest moving Martinez to another position. He makes HORRIBLE decisions when under duress. I know he's a frosh, but he had an entire season under his belt.

He's got the potential to be a game-changer, but not at QB.

As for the concerns that we'd be playing a 4th QB in 4 years - I get that, but so what? You have to find an answer, even if it takes a while.

And if he decides to transfer, I'd lose no sleep. I think the bad might actually outweigh the good when it comes to Martinez at QB.

:yeah

He's only a freshman and could develop into a pretty good QB. I think people are a little to quick to write him off as a QB already. He wasn't even healthy for most of the latter part of the season.

Look I'm not saying in any way that Taylor should start just bc he started this year. I'm just saying that we are trying to become a national title contender and it just doesn't happen with first year starting qb's. Absolutely play the best guy, but I'm just saying it's going to be another long year to start a redshirt frosh. If Taylor doesn't DRASTICALLY improves his passing/pocket presence I would be willing to sacrifice his running ability in favor of someone like Green. Inevitably we'll become too one dimensional against teams like Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, Michigan State with the Taylor of this year.

Martinez would be stupid to transfer cause he would have to go to a MWC, WAC, or MAC team if he wants to start plus if he gets injured big drop off. If he truly wants to be a good qb he would stay and work on passing. But he would have to earn it. I think he got a big head when he was named starting qb at season because he probably felt he couldn't be replaced. Should've been game to game whether he would start or not.

Do any of you remember he was on the Hypsman list until the Missouri game, where he was injured. I do not think he has been right since.

He is tempramental for sure. He needs positives not negatives to flourish.

Starting another true freshman is not the answer. But I think it will in the cards. WE have to have a QB that can pass the ball, but he needs to be put in situations where his passing is not dictated by down and yards. With a better game plan I think Taylor will be fine, and has experience. Going into the BigTen it will be needed.