Kody Spano?

Haspula

Although that would be the obvious list, I disagree. T-mart is done and done. He is not a qb and I can't see the coaches risking their jobs by trying to coach-him-up for another year.

Are you willfully ignoring the stats or do you just not know them? Martinez was a Heisman trophy candidate for 1/3 of the season. He was even getting buzz until the Missouri game when he got injured. His Freshman stats are comparable to Tommie Frazier's Senior stats. On what planet do you think he's "done and done?" That's crazy talk.

Who exactly did Taylor put up those numbers against?

I truly wanted to believe that Taylor wasn't just the flash-in-the-pan that Zac Lee, Joe Dailey, Jammal Lord, et al. were. Trouble is, playing against below-average talent tends to make average talent look above-average. Right now, Taylor only has the speed, and now that he's dealing with ankle issues, I'm not so sure that he even has that in the same magnitude that he had it in the early part of the season. MAYBE he has potential as a passer if he learns what to do with the ball when he doesn't have a WR who has 10 yards of separation and/or lacks the time to find an open read, but from what I've seen thus far he's a one-trick pony, and that one trick (the zone read) is dead.

The bold is a good point. But even though Taylor only put up stats against relatively weak competition, there was evident talent there. It's not his fault we played a weak non-con schedule.

We have to remember that Martinez is a Freshman. He wasn't even fully dedicated to QB until this year - last year he spent most of his time at WR on the scout team. It's highly unlikely that 2010 represented his ceiling. If he grows even a little bit, gets even a little more poise, he'll be fine.

Bo's comments before the bowl game:

The day before the Holiday Bowl, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini made it clear that next fall will include an open competition for the starting quarterback job for the Huskers.

"He (Martinez) has to earn the job again," said Pelini. "We have a lot of talent at the quarterback position. He's been through a lot and he's made lots of plays, but he's made a lot of mistakes too. There's a lot of football to be played and he hasn't scratched the surface of what he can do and how much more there is to learn from the quarterback perspective. It's mind-boggling to think how far he can go."

LINK

Bo's comments before the bowl game:

The day before the Holiday Bowl, Nebraska coach Bo Pelini made it clear that next fall will include an open competition for the starting quarterback job for the Huskers.

"He (Martinez) has to earn the job again," said Pelini. "We have a lot of talent at the quarterback position. He's been through a lot and he's made lots of plays, but he's made a lot of mistakes too. There's a lot of football to be played and he hasn't scratched the surface of what he can do and how much more there is to learn from the quarterback perspective. It's mind-boggling to think how far he can go."

LINK

How do you think T-Mart will react if he loses the starting position? I really can't imagine him taking it as well as Lee did. Then again, I'm not sure if you could have handled it any better than how he did.

How do you think T-Mart will react if he loses the starting position? I really can't imagine him taking it as well as Lee did. Then again, I'm not sure if you could have handled it any better than how he did.

I don't know. It's hard to speculate when we know so little about the guy. Maybe he takes it well, maybe he switches positions, maybe he leaves. You'd have to get between his ears to know, because unlike Green and Lee, Martinez isn't very open with his feelings.

Knapplc--

Heisman trophy candidate? Yeah, so was shoelace and a litany of other people that fell off the planet. That's why you don't pay attention to that stuff until you're 2/3 of the way through the season.

Did you just compare T-magic's stats to those of Tommie Frazier (one of the greatest college players of all time)? First of all, they played in two totally different offenses and I hope you recall Tommie suffering through life-threatening blood clots that season... I'd hope that you won't compare T-magic's limp (that was only evident when he played poorly) to Tommie's medical condition.

The only "crazy talk" I see on this thread is from some guy professing that T-magic is a future QB for our program. Cody Green couldn't hit a receiver to save his life, but he had an immediate impact on the o-line by simply stepping up in the pocket on Thursday. Did you watch that game? Have you ever seen a succesful qb on any level with that throwing motion?

I drove 11 1/2 hours to watch some guy prove down-after-down that he's so far from being a qb that he will literally lose a game for you when you have a 2+ touchdown lead in the first quarter. He's so far from being a qb that you will honestly believe your running back is your best option at the qb position. Hell, did you even watch the Huskers lose 4 of their last 5? Did you see him flicking the ball across his body to receivers during the bowl game? Not only did he pull that stunt once and almost get picked, but he tried it for a second time. On the second occassion he actually flicked the ball across his body into the chest of a linebacker. The ball deflected off the linebacker back into T-wide receivers hands. He made a great grab and I truly hoped it was his attempt at auditioning for Niles Paul's position next year.

I don't even have the time to go into the "intangibles" that he is clearly lacking.

Enjoyed this whole thread entitled, "Kody Spano", which really talked about alot of other QB's.

Welcome to the board fearandloathing by the way. Say, I wanted to say to you that Knapplc is a MOD with 10,000+ posts. I know he doesn't need "defending" ... but I was just struck by the "challenge" within your posts. Knapp is a guy I've found pretty solid and knowledgeable about Husker football ... and how he says what he says on the board always goes a long way. He is very easy to get along with. I just wanted to express a little bit of love to my Knapp friend.

I loved your thoughts as well ... don't get me wrong ... and many on here are very passionate about their views ... I guess I was just struck by a 30+ poster talking to a 10,000+ poster (MOD) like he had no clue. :-) I'm gonna give any person with any amount of posts a fair shake ... and ... being a man of tradition and respect ... I'm gonna give it to a guy like Knapplc.

I know these thoughts don't add to this good discussion ... but I did feel compelled to speak up for the quality of this board, the MOD's and how they speak with respect to people like myself who is really just a fan with not a whole lot of knowledge.

I'm gonna grant you both some respect and love ... both today and moving forward.

SheepdogMark

A true heisman candidate and a legitimate QB doesn't get pulled from a game multiple times during the season and have a nervous breakdown everytime he's in the pocket, save me the stats show me his stats after the mizzou game don't care if he got hurt he was horrible and shouldn't have been on the field, Taylor is not a true QB, he's a player that's really fast and can somewhat throw.

Did you just compare T-magic's stats to those of Tommie Frazier (one of the greatest college players of all time)? First of all, they played in two totally different offenses and I hope you recall Tommie suffering through life-threatening blood clots that season... I'd hope that you won't compare T-magic's limp (that was only evident when he played poorly) to Tommie's medical condition.

Um, wow. How do I even start here. Frazier suffered blood clots his senior season? Did he get a medical redshirt because 1994 wasn't his last year playing for Nebraska. Where did you get that Frazier's stats as a senior compared to Martinez's as a freshman that there was any comparison between Martinez's ankle sprain and Frazier's blood clots? Martinez was the Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the year. He was also the only freshman QB to be named a semifinalist for the Davey O'Brien Award. I think it's been well established that Martinez barely had an OL. I think it's also been well established that Martinez had a receiving corp. whose hands were made of stone. While I may not like some of the things he does, he has enough athleticism to be one of the greatest QB's to ever play for Nebraska.

Although that would be the obvious list, I disagree. T-mart is done and done. He is not a qb and I can't see the coaches risking their jobs by trying to coach-him-up for another year.

Are you willfully ignoring the stats or do you just not know them? Martinez was a Heisman trophy candidate for 1/3 of the season. He was even getting buzz until the Missouri game when he got injured. His Freshman stats are comparable to Tommie Frazier's Senior stats. On what planet do you think he's "done and done?" That's crazy talk.

Same thing could be said about Michicken's Freshman QB two seasons ago..never heard from again.

Determining your depth chart based on Hypesman notice is a joke.

Yeah, but so is hyping up kids that have never seen the field yet. We have had enough of that the last couple of years... :bang

You new here?

The 2nd string QB is almost always the fan's fav player..Anywhere

It is relly too bad about Spano I really wanted to be able to see if the kid was as good as once talked oh well this is life and sh#t happens unfortunately.

Tommie was a great QB for the O they were running at the time. He also had one of the best lines in history and some great backs to go with it. But, I really don't think Tommie would have succeeded in this or the past 3 years in the O's they were running. The dude absolutely could not pass the damn ball. I do not think that Taylor is the best either, but he is hopefully learning. The biggest thing that I think he needs is an attitude adjustment. if he doesn't then I would rather not see him on the team. JMO