watching the Orange bowl

I don't know much about it, but Gruden touched on how complex it was - 350 plays, even the linemen had play cards on their wrist bands. Is Harbaugh an offensive guy? I can't remember. Well, whoever has put that system in place - they have really done their work and a good job of it, too.

(edit) Now they are just showing off, as the announcers noted. Haha. Anyone else catch that? 7 minute mark. How many shifts was that before the snap? Not much of a result either.

(edit 2) Tyrod is all class, by the way. Making his way across the field, congratulating Coach Harbaugh after the game. Battling out even at the end when it was all over. Can't give him enough respect IMO.

I don't know much about it, but Gruden touched on how complex it was - 350 plays, even the linemen had play cards on their wrist bands. Is Harbaugh an offensive guy? I can't remember. Well, whoever has put that system in place - they have really done their work and a good job of it, too.

(edit) Now they are just showing off, as the announcers noted. Haha. Anyone else catch that? 7 minute mark. How many shifts was that before the snap? Not much of a result either.

(edit 2) Tyrod is all class, by the way. Making his way across the field, congratulating Coach Harbaugh after the game. Battling out even at the end when it was all over. Can't give him enough respect IMO.

Yes, Harbaugh is an offensive guy. Just look at his resume on wikipedia...

As far as the "complexity" of the offense...it's the exact opposite of Callahan's complexities. Stanford runs about 6 or 7 plays from about 20 different looks! Callahan tried to have 30 plays in each of his 30 to 40 sets. They do a tremendous job of using extra TE sets, overloaded sets, off balance sets, etc. All of which would work well with the type of kid we can recruit. We will always be able to find quality TEs and OL and need to build around that.

If you watch their passing game plays, they do alot of "forcing" or "driving" towards the safeties to run them off the primary WR. The last TD pass was a perfect example of that, on both safeties!

luck was good, sure. amazing? eh. seemed like every pass was crowned with a great 'touch' pass comment...where i saw a noodle arm compared to the likes of blaine gabbert.

honestly...i dont believe the kid can throw a spiral. i dont care how smart he is, what intangibles he has, blah blah blah. in the nfl, you have the physical skill set and can make every throw, then the intangible stuff comes into play. see: tom brady. laser cannon. brain.

the most amazing guy i saw on that stanford team, and that i'd want on the huskers, was that damn bowling ball of a linebacker/fullback. marecic is it? give me 11 of him. kid has so much mass he looks like the earth is going to crumble at any moment and he'll fall through, run into the devil and kick his spiked tail ass out the other side.

va tech i thought looked an AWFUL lot like nebraska. scary a lot actually, especially in that fourth quarter. nervous qb, throws in the dirt, odd playcalling, general surrender attitude. great googly moogly that hokie backfield is stacked...but if you watched the second half you'd had thought they were all walk on punters.

I loved watching the Stanford offense, it was exactly the opposite of predictable. You never knew what was coming, really keeps the defense off balance. I also find it really interesting that they have a tremendous quarterback who projects well to the next level, and yet they don't just drop him straight back into the pocket. They run bootlegs and roll outs and move the pocket, making it easier on him and also opening up the run-pass option when he gets outside with a defender forced into choosing whether to come up or drop and cover the receiver. Did we ever see anything like that this year from the Huskers? Just seems to me anything to make things a little easier for your freshman QB would make sense.

I thought Va Tech looked like a so-so team built around one great player on offense. If Tyrod has a hot hand they can hang with most anyone. If he goes cold, then they get outscored by five TDs in a half. At times though, when he is hot, Tyrod looks like Michael Vick redux. I wonder if Tyrod has any pitt bulls?

Stanford on the other hand looks like an incredibly well coached ball club. Stanford does not have great recruiting——due to academic reasons. (The other kind of academic reasons. heh.) Still, the Cards looked solid in all phases. Luck looked great out there because of his supporting cast. Sure, he'll be picked high in the first round (maybe first). But Luck won’t look nearly as good on Sundays as he did last night. He might have the brains to make it, and even the feet, but not the arm. (OTOH, I guess the same could be said of Joe Montana, right? So you never know.)

The sad thing for Stanford is that Harbaugh has probably already coached his last game there. They have a horrible time keeping coaches with those academic restrictions.

I've heard that Harbaugh is going to the Niners and I've heard he's going to Michigan. It'd be great for the Big 10 if he ends up in Ann Arbor, but it'll make Legends a hell of a tough division.

He will probably ended up at the Niners. (New GM has a relationship with Harbaugh) They have a lot of talent and he can ride this great run into a nice fat contract. A lot of his success the last two years is because he has the best QB in the land. I think the forces are too great for him to stay. The same with Luck. The way Luck was able to hit his rec's in the hands in stride was amazing.

I can see how he would be a tough guy to recruit against. NU has some work to do.

Harbaugh was a VERY longtime NFL QB - with his best string of years in Chicago and his best overall year with the Colts.....during a time which sparked a great Coors light commercial "Playoffs?? - PLAYoffs??"

The sad thing for Stanford is that Harbaugh has probably already coached his last game there. They have a horrible time keeping coaches with those academic restrictions.

I've heard that Harbaugh is going to the Niners and I've heard he's going to Michigan. It'd be great for the Big 10 if he ends up in Ann Arbor, but it'll make Legends a hell of a tough division.

This morning's rumor: He will not accept Michigan job if even offered; he will not go to the NFL unless it's the right job with the right pay; Stanford is preparred to offer him the money Mack and Saban make (5+ mill) and he want to stay there since he thinks he has a potential powerhouse and can strike while USC is down.....

I realize that it's a pro-style offense, but I don't think too many people would consider it extremely complicated either.

I wasn't saying their schemes and what not aren't well thought out, and maybe "simple" wasn't the best word. I was more referring to their overall philosophy. Focus on the run and use play action to take shots.

They have so many plays, even the center has to wear a play wrist wrap.

Simply based on how our offense finished this season, I'd say there's no way we could beat Stanford. Make no mistake - they would put points on the board even against our beloved Blackshirts, not 40 like they did vs VaTech, but I'd say they would reel off at least 20-25. And against their tough-as-nails D, that would be far too much for our inept offense to overcome.

A game vs VaTech, on the other hand, would be much more winnable. As long as our D could contain Tyrod and their running attack, we would force their hand in the passing game, which would play right into our greatest strength. I don't see VaTech doing any better against our current D than they did vs the Suh D of 2009. Based on how VaTech's D struggled so mightily against Stanford's run, I'd like to think we could reel off at least 3 TDs on them...unless of course we played another game like we did in the Holiday Bowl.