Starling is a cheeky dude

zoogs

Hujan, your argument seems to boil down to the fact that Taylor will never be Andrew Luck in the passing game. Wouldn't you also concede that Andrew Luck will never be Taylor in the running game? Wouldn't you also concede that there's a place for both a great running QB and a great passing QB in college football, and that a player does not have to be both to win?

Will you concede that Taylor does NOT have the respect of the offense, I doubt they will block for him next season!

Hujan, your argument seems to boil down to the fact that Taylor will never be Andrew Luck in the passing game. Wouldn't you also concede that Andrew Luck will never be Taylor in the running game? Wouldn't you also concede that there's a place for both a great running QB and a great passing QB in college football, and that a player does not have to be both to win?

Will you concede that Taylor does NOT have the respect of the offense, I doubt they will block for him next season!

must have missed where they blocked for any of NU's Qb's this season... ;)

Where do those coments come from? I certainly do not know the inner workings of the team, but I find it hard to believe he truly is a problem on the team. According to his highschool coaches he was never a problem, just quiet. He is not a yeller or screamer. Just look at him when Bo was chewing his ass. He is introverted.

I think the team knows he is/was injured. Two bad wheels, hurting every single step, still out there trying to get the job done. I have had badly sprained ankles, never turf toe, but to have both at the same time, would have made me a total cripple I can tell you that.

Anyone truly watching him play after the Missouri game, knows he was hurt. He was never even close to his speed after that and it was still eviedent at the Holiday Bowl.

I have no idea if he will ever develop to be a great passing QB, although in high school he was known more for his passing than his running. Give him another year and I think we will see great improvement. I truly hope so as I do not want to see us start in the Big Ten breaking in another new QB. He is experienced, is a Freshman All American, was on the Hypsman watch list, again as a Freshman. There is talent there, it just needs to be used correctly.

He has my vote of confidence, and I think he truly needs all of ours

• Fire 1

Seems to me they blocked for him quite a bit. Watching the games, it looked like many, many times the line held up quite a while, but Taylor held the ball too long and took a sack. It also seemed like as the year wore on the line wore down and we ended up with some injuries that prevented the line from blocking as well as they had in the first half. Also, our line is not as well coached as it could be, which also contributes to the problem.

Taylor had 12 runs of 20 or more yards prior to the Missouri game. He had zero after the Missouri game. Anyone who thinks he wasn't injured, or was just faking, or was just being a "prima donna" needs to come up with something more solid than what I've seen so far before I'll believe it.

I can't imagine the Offense doesn't enjoy scoring. I can't imagine they don't like playing well. I would be very sadly shocked to find out that they were tanking games on purpose because they didn't like the QB behind them.

Of course, if they didn't like Taylor, it's not like they dramatically improved their play for Cody. He wasn't all that comfortable against Iowa State or Colorado. So by the logic of some, the O Line likes neither Taylor nor Cody.

Sounds like a bad situation all around.

• Fire 2

Taylor had 12 runs of 20 or more yards prior to the Missouri game. He had zero after the Missouri game. Anyone who thinks he wasn't injured, or was just faking, or was just being a "prima donna" needs to come up with something more solid than what I've seen so far before I'll believe it.

I can't imagine the Offense doesn't enjoy scoring. I can't imagine they don't like playing well. I would be very sadly shocked to find out that they were tanking games on purpose because they didn't like the QB behind them.

Of course, if they didn't like Taylor, it's not like they dramatically improved their play for Cody. He wasn't all that comfortable against Iowa State or Colorado. So by the logic of some, the O Line likes neither Taylor nor Cody.

Sounds like a bad situation all around.

Yeah this new unsupported theory is the dumbest one I've heard yet.

And if our team doesn't like Cody, we're in trouble. He's about as likeable as a guy could get.

If you take away Cam Newton's legs, that passer rating goes down. That's the point we're trying to make.

If you take away Elway's legs, his passer rating goes down. Just about every QB uses their feet in the pocket, whether they are a true dual threat or not. The fact is, you ultimately still have to deliver the ball from point A to point B, and Newton did a elite job of that this season. I suppose if you only watched the NCG, you saw an ugly INT and a few high balls and concluded that Newton was essentially just a great runner and average passer. But actually, if you watched Newton's entire season, he was an excellent passer. Solid mechanics, great accuracy on the run, knows how to progress through reads while staying poised, etc.

Again, his numbers as a passer were freakishly good and can't be ignored. 182 passer rating = top-five in FBS history.

Compare to Newton to Turner Gill's most impressive year (1983). Gill could also use the legs:

Newton 66%, 30 TD, 7 INT, 10.2 ypa, 182 rating

Gill 55%, 14 TD, 4 INT, 8.9 ypa, 155 rating

To say Newton isn't a good passer is just crazy.

If you take away Cam Newton's legs, that passer rating goes down. That's the point we're trying to make.

If you take away Elway's legs, his passer rating goes down. Just about every QB uses their feet in the pocket, whether they are a true dual threat or not. The fact is, you ultimately still have to deliver the ball from point A to point B, and Newton did a elite job of that this season. I suppose if you only watched the NCG, you saw an ugly INT and a few high balls and concluded that Newton was essentially just a great runner and average passer. But actually, if you watched Newton's entire season, he was an excellent passer. Solid mechanics, great accuracy on the run, knows how to progress through reads while staying poised, etc.

Again, his numbers as a passer were freakishly good and can't be ignored. 182 passer rating = top-five in FBS history.

Compare to Newton to Turner Gill's most impressive year (1983). Gill could also use the legs:

Newton 66%, 30 TD, 7 INT, 10.2 ypa, 182 rating

Gill 55%, 14 TD, 4 INT, 8.9 ypa, 155 rating

To say Newton isn't a good passer is just crazy.

I'm not going to argue that Newton isn't a good passer. But Auburn is not a pass-first team, they are a run-first team. They use the run to set up the pass, and Cam Newton's running is a huge part of that. Without his ability to make plays with his feet (not just move in the pocket - make BIG plays with his feet, and also act as a fullback getting 3rd and 2 conversions whenever he wants), their passing game (and his passing statistics) would look radically different.

The best example from the game the other night was 4th down and goal with one or two yards to go. Auburn lines up in the shotgun, and Cam Newton takes the snap and takes a step forward. The defense crashes down, expecting Auburn's standard QB run that Newton has excelled at all season. Instead, Newton pulls up and throws to a completely wide open receiver in the endzone. The throw ended up short and incomplete, a terrible pass, but the playcall only worked because of Newton's ability to run.

Point is, some of these Nebraska fans would say, "See, he missed the pass, we need a passing QB!" while completely ignoring the fact that Newton's ability to run is the only thing that gave that play any chance at success in the first place.