Starling is a cheeky dude

zoogs

I don't get any of the Starling stuff. Last I knew, the consensus was that there was a 99.98276% chance he would never take a snap at Nebraska. Has something changed? I don't know anything about baseball so you'll have to enlighten me. People are acting like it's 50-50 now.

I don't get any of the Starling stuff. Last I knew, the consensus was that there was a 99.98276% chance he would never take a snap at Nebraska. Has something changed? I don't know anything about baseball so you'll have to enlighten me. People are acting like it's 50-50 now.

Slightly better than that. Some insights in his recruiting thread:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/40697-qb-bubba-starling/

I like his confidence, but if his playing is contingent on Watson staying, do we really want Watson to leave? Interesting. Watson stays Bubba plays...Watson goes..Bubba??? (Frankly, I think if I were as good at baseball as everyone says Starling is and if I had that much money staring me in the face-I think I would take the money! He's young and he can always come back and play football if baseball doesn't work out.)

Yeah, we want to be sure we have the best talent not scoring TDs.

Glendower, how did our best talent not score TDs this year?

Ya, I didn't quite understand that. Unless he means us not scoring TD's at all, then it would make sense.

With the Taylor talk, let's calm down a little here people. He had a great season for a freshman QB. I mean really, we have to give him some props here. Whether we think he was used wrong, or that he isn't that far along in the pass game, or that we think he isn't a good leader...

HE IS A FRESHMAN, 19 YEARS OLD.....

Why this is never taken into account when we bash the kid, I don't know.

I like his confidence, but if his playing is contingent on Watson staying, do we really want Watson to leave? Interesting. Watson stays Bubba plays...Watson goes..Bubba??? (Frankly, I think if I were as good at baseball as everyone says Starling is and if I had that much money staring me in the face-I think I would take the money! He's young and he can always come back and play football if baseball doesn't work out.)

Yeah, we want to be sure we have the best talent not scoring TDs.

lol!

Yeah, that's one show of expertise we have in spades.

He should have been a situational/Wildcat QB a la Tim Tebow, as well as taking Marlowe's place on those jet sweeps. A guy you get on the field 20 snaps a game and find a way to put the ball in his hands for 12-15 of them.

Right, because all those records he nearly set were worthless.

The ONLY thing preventing Taylor from rewriting the record books was a high ankle sprain. This revisionist history needs to stop.

His shoddy performances against SDSU and Texas beg to differ. Most telling of all is that the way he floundered in those games was identical to the way he floundered after the high-ankle sprain. Revisionist history is conveniently forgetting those performances and blaming everything on a high-ankle sprain that, in a lot of ways, did nothing to change the slide that had already been set in motion.

Taylor's last run of any consequence was in the K State game, nine and a half quarters before he sprained his ankle. No TD runs---or big runs at all---in those 9 quarters.

Let's face facts: Taylor is, by and large, a one-trick pony. As soon as teams schemed to take that trick away and dared us to beat them in some other way, he was worse than useless. And that's the problem with being one-diminsional. If Taylor was able to throw (and our receivers could catch), then loading the box would expose our opponents to plays downfield. When they pull back to cover the pass, Taylor could rip them with runs. And so on.

Having said all of that, I will blame this 50/50 on our offense not putting Taylor in position to succeed in light of his horrible passing fundamentals. But to suggest that everything would magically have been okay if Taylor's ankle was 100% is, IMO, conveniently ignoring what had already begun to emerge before the Mizzou game.

I remember him playing fine against Texas, it was his receivers who had a terrible game. The SDSU game was the same problem as the Holiday Bowl, nobody wanted to be there. That's a problem with the coach more than it is with the quarterback.

How about instead of blaming the coach for motivation all the time, we start blaming the players for lack of nuts to have some of them stand up and be leaders and be motivators. I guarantee back in the 90s our coach wasn't a huge motivator. Sure, he motivated but he wasn't the main source. It was the players. When your peers on your team are getting jacked up and motivating hard(Peters, Wistrom, etc)that has more influence than the coaches.