Starling is a cheeky dude

zoogs

They have to "simplify" the Senior Bowl offense for him.

Sound familiar? Let's not get our hopes up. Starling is just as much of a liability as Martinez until he learns how to go through at least one progression on a passing play. Or at least be able to see a wide open receiver and then be able to throw the ball within 5 feet of him. The way QB play at NU has gone, I'm not expecting much until his 3rd or 4th year no matter how much raw talent this guy comes in with.

It might even help if our wrs could catch the ball too.

Maybe it shocks and suprises them when the ball hits them in the hands, they're not expecting that. :lol: In fairness to Martinez, I think he really tried to play through injuries that should have kept him on the bench. I agree with another poster that his motion leaves something to be desired, but if he wasn't constantly put into obvious passing situations (3rd and 12, etc), maybe some of those weaknesses wouldn't be so exposed. I really believe he is a case where coaching(both in play calling and his fundamentals)really did him a disservice in maximizing the potential of a first year QB.

I really believe he is a case where coaching(both in play calling and his fundamentals)really did him a disservice in maximizing the potential of a first year QB.

Undoubtedly I believe Taylor was poorly utilized and not set up for success.

He should have been a situational/Wildcat QB a la Tim Tebow, as well as taking Marlowe's place on those jet sweeps. A guy you get on the field 20 snaps a game and find a way to put the ball in his hands for 12-15 of them.

He should have been a situational/Wildcat QB a la Tim Tebow, as well as taking Marlowe's place on those jet sweeps. A guy you get on the field 20 snaps a game and find a way to put the ball in his hands for 12-15 of them.

Right, because all those records he nearly set were worthless.

The ONLY thing preventing Taylor from rewriting the record books was a high ankle sprain. This revisionist history needs to stop.

The ONLY thing preventing Taylor from rewriting the record books was a high ankle sprain. This revisionist history needs to stop.

Exactly this. What a difference an injury makes. Before the injury the kid was the savior of Nebraska football, after the injury he's no longer fit to be a starter.

Taylor has the talent, but it's raw. Let the kid develop people.

He's in the mix as a top pitching prospect for the MLB 2011 draft.

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/6/28/1541924/andys-first-2011-top-50#storyjump

Is he really gonna turn down millions ?

If he does that would be a dream come true.

Really!? 29th on this list...and the 12th HS player...I thought he was higher then that even. Maybe there is a chance he comes here!!!

I think it was Baseball Prospectus that had him as their #1.

This list only addresses his pitching talent. He is a 5 tool center fielder and that is what has the MLB scouts drooling.

Although the sprain was a huge factor, I don't think it was the only thing. As me moved on in the season to play better, faster and more athletic defenses, coordinators would have schemed to take Martinez away, or at least to really lessen his impact. I think they would have made him give the ball up to the backs.

Don't get me wrong, I think he still would have had an big impact without the injury, but the better D's would not have let him have the room he was allowed early in the year. And I really don't know if it would have changed anything about how he reacted in the pocket.

I still admire how he tried to play through the injury, but I also really believe he shouldn't have even been out there. Huge potential, but the coaching staff needs to step up to help him reach his fullest.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/recruiting/article_90d89c90-b59f-5722-aac5-59a178cbca17.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Holy cow, that is some fire spitting from this upstart recruit that hasn't even set foot on campus as a player yet.

I don't feel like this is typical, at all.

Yeah he's paying lip service respect to Taylor but holy cow. This is different from your usual "I am going to go and compete." This is I'm comin' for you, buddy.

Apparently when you have such a terrible offense and inconsistent quarterback, these comments are NOT going to be uncommon. Turner has the same thoughts on Martinez, I'm looking for an article I read earlier but can't find right now, where Turner said he believes he could have made better reads/decisions. This one is from HuskerExtra today:

"I thought they could have done better," Turner said. "I thought Taylor Martinez could have done better in the games they lost. That's how I really looked at it."

Exactly this. What a difference an injury makes. Before the injury the kid was the savior of Nebraska football, after the injury he's no longer fit to be a starter.

I also forgot that breaking records wins football games. WHO CARES about records. Taylor could have ran for 5000 yards in the first 6 games and it mean nothing with the record we ended with. They were essentially worthless. If we go undefeated they are worthless. Fact is he can't pass, read a defense, etc. The fact that he is being compared to what tebow was his freshmen year is comical. We are one dimensional to our death. Can you blame a QUARTERBACK recruit for having more confidence in moving the ball than,Taylor. Yes and no. But unless Taylor goes lightyears this off-season we are going to be SOL again.

Then Watson did nothing wrong this year, he just had a run of injuries? ;)

I still think situational Taylor would have been better because he still would have given us a spark and ripped off a lot of big plays even - while not hurting the offense during times/games when he goes cold. Were Zac to go down in that instance, Cody would step into an offense he is more comfortable in - and we likely see Taylor's role expand, much like Wild Rex did when Taylor went down. And were Taylor to get hurt - we simply put in Marlowe on the sweeps, Rex in the Wildcat, or reduce/take out the package altogether, and keep operating. Instead of this weird thing where Taylor starts, injured or struggling or not, and if he takes himself out of the game, Cody goes in and is asked to do more of the same.

Many, many folks have complained about how limited/predictable the offense has been, and I think this would have been the answer.

Just an opinion. No doubt, the story of this year's offensive downfall empirically lies in the QB injuries after Missouri. But my concerns about Taylor as a field general when the chips are down, were never removed by his previous performances. OK State was the game of his life though, and one I will always point to as a bright spot and indication of great potential.

And yea, apparently Jamal Turner is a cheeky sonuva, as well. Said we struggled this year on 1620 because of Taylor's limited playbook.

Apparently when you have such a terrible offense and inconsistent quarterback, these comments are NOT going to be uncommon

This is more what I'm thinking. Normally these comments would bother me a bit, but I can't actually argue the points in these cases.

What a bizarre situation we seem to have, where our QB's dad has been trying to set stories straight in the press, our QB releases a statement quashing transfer rumors, the team doesn't seem to respond to him, and incoming QB recruits are calling him out. Not a situation I enjoy seeing us in by any means.

Then Watson did nothing wrong this year, he just had a run of injuries? ;)

I still think situational Taylor would have been better because he still would have given us a spark and ripped off a lot of big plays even - while not hurting the offense during times/games when he goes cold. Were Zac to go down in that instance, Cody would step into an offense he is more comfortable in - and we likely see Taylor's role expand, much like Wild Rex did when Taylor went down. And were Taylor to get hurt - we simply put in Marlowe on the sweeps, Rex in the Wildcat, or reduce/take out the package altogether, and keep operating. Instead of this weird thing where Taylor starts, injured or struggling or not, and if he takes himself out of the game, Cody goes in and is asked to do more of the same.

Many, many folks have complained about how limited/predictable the offense has been, and I think this would have been the answer.

Just an opinion. No doubt, the story of this year's offensive downfall empirically lies in the QB injuries after Missouri. But my concerns about Taylor as a field general when the chips are down, were never removed by his previous performances. OK State was the game of his life though, and one I will always point to as a bright spot and indication of great potential.

And yea, apparently Jamal Turner is a cheeky sonuva, as well. Said we struggled this year on 1620 because of Taylor's limited playbook.

Apparently when you have such a terrible offense and inconsistent quarterback, these comments are NOT going to be uncommon

This is more what I'm thinking. Normally these comments would bother me a bit, but I can't actually argue the points in these cases.

What a bizarre situation we seem to have, where our QB's dad has been trying to set stories straight in the press, our QB releases a statement quashing transfer rumors, the team doesn't seem to respond to him, and incoming QB recruits are calling him out. Not a situation I enjoy seeing us in by any means.

How does Taylor getting hurt give Watson a pass? :blink:

Show me a game where Cody has had the success Taylor had against Washington, against Oklahoma State, against Kansas State. When you do, THEN we can talk about Cody Green being the answer. The fact is that Cody is, at this moment, a bigger "project" than Taylor. He is not further along in the passing game. He is woefully inferior in the running game. He has shown nothing which definitively proves that he can be a better field general than Martinez.

Cody is farther along in the passing game. But he is not farther along in the nerves department. I have been critical of his handling but really it could just come down to Cody being a nervous wreck kind of guy in games, I don't know.

Taylor, he rips off big runs the other QBs can't. It can set up the passing game wonderfully by leaving receivers open or in single coverage all over the place. It can key our running backs on the zone read. But he is just much more behind in quarterbacking aspects and that's what I mean by being a field general. It's his other abilities that make up for his lack in the field general department. And while the other QBs are farther along there, they don't share his explosiveness. A trade off.

And one where I don't think we could not have had the best of both worlds, by utilizing Taylor significantly as a playmaker, but not installing him as The Quarterback.

If Watson put a QB on the field that rewrote the record books, and our offense only sputtered because the QBs got hurt, where did he go wrong? Of course though, I will agree that things went wrong with the offense this year.

I also forgot that breaking records wins football games. WHO CARES about records. Taylor could have ran for 5000 yards in the first 6 games and it mean nothing with the record we ended with. They were essentially worthless. If we go undefeated they are worthless. Fact is he can't pass, read a defense, etc. The fact that he is being compared to what tebow was his freshmen year is comical. We are one dimensional to our death. Can you blame a QUARTERBACK recruit for having more confidence in moving the ball than,Taylor. Yes and no. But unless Taylor goes lightyears this off-season we are going to be SOL again.

No, it isn't a fact he can't pass. In fact, he can pass. He was throwing fine up until he injured the ankle of the foot he throws off of. Remember the Okie Light game? Or the Texas game? He was throwing just fine, his receivers just couldn't catch a cold.

In the end, he's was a freshman. Do we give up on him because he struggled when he shouldn't have even been playing? I say nay. Let him grow, he has 3 years left.

• Fire 1