Scott Frost

cerny50

Scott as a good recruiter is real promising to hear. He doesn't need to be an ace to be a big improvement over what we've got, and frankly staff-wide, good, willing recruiters are something we need.

He'd certainly be a step up from Gilmore. I like the fact that his recruits are from Florida/Cali. It's not as though he's just selling the Oregon product to local guys, he's going out and getting who he wants.

6) he's learned from great coachs - Ron Prince, Mark Farley?

Also some stiffs named Osborne, Walsh, and Kelly. What would they know?

Kelly I'll give you. Outside of his 2 years on the offense at Oregon I can't really find a "great coach" that he would have learned from though.

When did he coach with Osborne? You mean the fact that he was a QB under Osborne? Some guy name Tommie Frazier played for NU once upon a time as well, under that same old stiff - and why don't you ask Doane how great of a coach he is? Epic disaster.

Are you talking about Bill Walsh or am I missing another Walsh - can't find one that he coached w/? He was at Stanford as an 18/19 year old when Walsh was there...but I certainly doubt that qualifies him as an OC. Did you follow the Walsh coaching tree about 18 branches to make a connection? Or was this another one where Frost played for a coach who happened to get his pool cleaned by the same guy that clean's Walsh's daughters fish tank? Regardless, I'd rather he had no connection to Walsh and his west coast offense, we've had enough of that crap here.

Might as well throw Parcels in there as well since he played special teams on a a Parcels coached team. I bet he sucked up 99% of Billy's genius during that time.

Or how about Callahan? Bill Walsh tutored Paul Hacket, who discovered Jon Gruden, who ultimately trained ol' Callahan. I mean Frost is definately qualified to be an OC now. :)

Are you talking about Bill Walsh or am I missing another Walsh? Did you follow the Walsh coaching tree about 18 branches to make that connection? Or was this another one where Frost played for a coach who happened to get his pool cleaned by the same guy that clean's Walsh's daughters fish tank? Regardless, I'd rather he had no connection to Walsh and his west coast offense, we've had enough of that crap here.

I think they are referring to the fact that Frost played for Walsh at Stanford.

Dont forget about Mike Bellotii, he started out under him at Oregon.

Chip Kelly brought Frost in after he was hired and Bellotti had moved to AD.

Yea I just thought about that, my mistake. :facepalm:

Dont forget about Mike Bellotii, he started out under him at Oregon.

Chip Kelly brought Frost in after he was hired and Bellotti had moved to AD.

Actually, Bellotti hired Frost, then moved to AD, and Chip Kelly kept Frost on staff. Frost didn't really ever coach with Bellotti, though, if that's your point.

Actually, Bellotti hired Frost, then moved to AD, and Chip Kelly kept Frost on staff. Frost didn't really ever coach with Bellotti, though, if that's your point.

That was my point. When did Bellotti move over then? Right after signing day? Frost was hired in January.

Nevermind I found it. Kelly took over in March so Frost worked with Bellotti for two months.

That was my point. When did Bellotti move over then? Right after signing day? Frost was hired in January.

If I remember correctly he resigned right after the Holiday Bowl against Oklahoma State.

Kelly I'll give you. Outside of his 2 years on the offense at Oregon I can't really find a "great coach" that he would have learned from though.

When did he coach with Osborne? You mean the fact that he was a QB under Osborne? Some guy name Tommie Frazier played for NU once upon a time as well, under that same old stiff - and why don't you ask Doane how great of a coach he is? Epic disaster.

Are you talking about Bill Walsh or am I missing another Walsh - can't find one that he coached w/? He was at Stanford as an 18/19 year old when Walsh was there...but I certainly doubt that qualifies him as an OC. Did you follow the Walsh coaching tree about 18 branches to make a connection? Or was this another one where Frost played for a coach who happened to get his pool cleaned by the same guy that clean's Walsh's daughters fish tank? Regardless, I'd rather he had no connection to Walsh and his west coast offense, we've had enough of that crap here.

Might as well throw Parcels in there as well since he played special teams on a a Parcels coached team. I bet he sucked up 99% of Billy's genius during that time.

Or how about Callahan? Bill Walsh tutored Paul Hacket, who discovered Jon Gruden, who ultimately trained ol' Callahan. I mean Frost is definately qualified to be an OC now. :)

Are you saying that he didn't learn anything by playing for coaches like Osborne and Bill Walsh? If that is your stance, then how exactly do coaches teach or "coach up" players?

And the Tommie Frazier/Scott Frost comparison is apples to oranges. The only thing their playing/coaching experiences have in common is that they both won National Championships at DONU under TO. That is a horrible analogy, and your whole argument here is bunk.

Nevermind I found it. Kelly took over in March so Frost worked with Bellotti for two months.

Right. Pretty seamless transition. Kind of amazing... Kelly's first year: Conference champs with an appearance in the Rose Bowl. Kelly's second year: Conference champs with an appearance in the BCS title game.

Are you saying that he didn't learn anything by playing for coaches like Osborne and Bill Walsh? If that is your stance, then how exactly do coaches teach or "coach up" players?

The we have a pool of thousands of qualified coachces - since plenty of Division 1 athletes were coached up by quality HCs.

And the Tommie Frazier/Scott Frost comparison is apples to oranges. The only thing their playing/coaching experiences have in common is that they both won National Championships at DONU under TO. That is a horrible analogy, and your whole argument here is bunk.

How is it apples to oranges again? 2 former NU Quarterbacks coached (and in your eyes educated to the level of a Division 1 Coordinator (soon to be head coach)) by Tom Osborne. Both won National Championships at NU. Both went into coaching at Big12 schools. Both had limited experience as a position coach. The only difference is one was elevated above a position coach after 3 years experience at a BCS school and failed miserably. The other is still a position coach but you are arguing the second should be elevated after 2 years?

I'm not saying Frost would fail, I'm just giving an apples-apples comparison that not only makes your "trained by Osborne" argument bunk, but also you "he has enough experience to take the risk" argument bunk.

Still waiting for a valid argument. Hundreds of kids graduate every year and have been coached by great HCs. Being a great player for a great coach does not automatically translate into being a great coach. Playing for 2 or 3 great coaches does not automatically translate into being a great coach. Player/Coach - there's your apples to oranges comparison. Quit using it as your sole point for Frost's capabilities. (oh, i guess he did play at NU)

• Fire 1

The we have a pool of thousands of qualified coachces - since plenty of Division 1 athletes were coached up by quality HCs.

I guess I missed where I said that every Division 1 athlete could be a coach. My assumption is that if a guy played Division 1 football from a great coach, he likely would have learned something from said coach.

How is it apples to oranges again?

Are you going to tell me that being HC at Doane (and failing) is the same as Frost being a position coach at UNI, KSU, or Oregon? I'd say no. And, if you haven't noticed, they are two different people, both have different ideas, both interact differently with other people. If you don't understand that their personalities effect their coaching style and make them different coaches, then I can't help you. It'd be like saying that Osborne and Pelini are the same because they have both held the same position.

2 former NU Quarterbacks coached

That is about the only thing they have in common.

(and in your eyes educated to the level of a Division 1 Coordinator (soon to be head coach)) by Tom Osborne.
The other is still a position coach but you are arguing the second should be elevated after 2 years?
but also you "he has enough experience to take the risk" argument bunk.
Quit using it as your sole point for Frost's capabilities. (oh, i guess he did play at NU)

Please show where I have said that Frost should be our next OC? I would like to see him back at DONU, but I don't think that I've ever said that. Please show me where I said any of this.........

Still waiting for a valid argument. Hundreds of kids graduate every year and have been coached by great HCs. Being a great player for a great coach does automatically translate to being a great coach. Playing for 2 or 3 great coaches does not automatically translate into being a great coach.

I never said that playing for a great coach automatically makes you a great coach. But Frost is known to be a pretty smart guy, I'm sure that working with/for/under great coaches has had some sort of influence on him. I'm sure he has learned a few things from some of the all time greatest coaches in the history of football. That is how things work in the real world.

Are you going to tell me that being HC at Doane (and failing) is the same as Frost being a position coach at UNI, KSU, or Oregon? I'd say no. And, if you haven't noticed, they are two different people, both have different ideas, both interact differently with other people. If you don't understand that their personalities effect their coaching style and make them different coaches, then I can't help you. It'd be like saying that Osborne and Pelini are the same because they have both held the same position.

Maybe you misunderstood me. Frazier had 4 years at Baylor (in the heart of football country) - which I would say is fairly similar to UNI,KSU (and yes, even Oregon). His time at Doane isn't even part of the comparison. Tommie was at a VERY similar position to what Frost is currently when he was elevated to HC at Doane.

But thanks for pointing out they are different people - I actually hadn't noticed.

Please show where I have said that Frost should be our next OC? I would like to see him back at DONU, but I don't think that I've ever said that. Please show me where I said any of this.........

I think the original post of mine you responded to said "people" - I was talking in general terms not specifically about you at the time...then you took up the argument again about his playing time qualifying him as a coach which I think carries about as much weight as his shoe size (slight exageration). I highly doubt Pelini's playing time in college or pros impacted his qualifications one way or the other for the NU job. In a similar way the fact that Mangino/Leach never played a down didn't keep them from being great OCs. I spent a lot of time in college to learn a total of nothing, but I got my $100,000 piece of paper - graduated into the real world where I got experience and actually learned my career. Coaching is not much different. Experience trumps "teaching" any day of the week. Especially when the "teaching" you are receiving is individualized to you as a player - not generalized to you as a team. What/how Tom Osborne taught his position coaches is very different from what/how he taught his QBs. Apples-Oranges.

I'm sure that working with/for/under great coaches has had some sort of influence on him.

Once again - he hasn't really "worked" with/for/under great coaches. He's worked with a single up and coming coach who hasn't really proven his greatness yet. He's played for a couple great coaches. The "real world" he finds himself in today happened while he was on the field in the 90's. He wasn't even a part of it then.