Scott Frost

cerny50

There is no direct correlation between a productive passing offense and a good defense.

Boise St: #6 Passing Offense; #2 Scoring Defense

Alabama: #27 Passing Offense; #3 Scoring Defense

Stanford: #29 Passing Offense; #10 Scoring Defense

Missouri: #33 Passing Offense; #6 Scoring Defense

You can look back through the years and find plenty of teams that pass well and have solid defenses. Because a team is highly rated at passing does not automatically mean they can't play defense. There's no evidence to support the allegation that you can't do both.

Actually, what you will find is those teams rushed the ball well. Boise State was #26 in rushing offense, Bama was #36 in rushing offense, Stanford was #18 in rushing offense, and Mizzou was #49 in rushing offense. These teams were balanced teams that could pass the ball but could also run the ball if need be. In 2009, Texas Tech run offense ranked #113. In 2008, TT run offense ranked #96. In 2007, TT run offense ranked #120. In 2006, TT run offense ranked #112.

That's encouraging - A Pelini/Leach staff would look something like...

Pass Defense - Check

Run Defense - Check

Passing - Check

Run Offense - Check (Like Knapplc mentioned - those short outs and horizontal passes are actually consider "rushes" in Tech's statistics)

Special Teams - Check

With the current staff I'd say we're missing 3 out of the 5 of those areas. Leach would obviously take care of the passing piece. Pelini stressing the importance of the run game combined with our athletes, Beck, and the threat of our passing attack and I wouldn't be the least bit worried about or rush offense. Special teams without Adi/Henery is about all we'd have to work on, and having Leach would probably free up enough staff to hire a ST coach. As it stands now...

Pass Defense - Check

Run Defense - Check

Passing - What's that?

Rushing - One hobbled QB from ranking 80+

Special Teams - Only time will tell...

You want Leach calling the plays despite ever showing the willingness to run the ball? I'm not even convinced Beck can properly teach our RB's how to secure the friggin football. I'm of the opinion that the problem with our offense currently is Pelini "stressing" the importance of things. The problem with Leach's offense is the fact that he considers those short horizontal passes rushes. I saw Okie State nearly pi$$ one down their leg late in the fourth quarter because they were making short horizontal passes while trying to milk the clock. Unfortunately, an incomplete short horizontal pass is still a pass and stops the clock. There's three things that can happen when passing the ball, and two of them are bad.

I'm not advocating for Leach per se. I'm saying that your argument that Leach wouldn't succeed here because his offense is pass-based is flawed.

I don't care how we score, whether it's through the air or on the ground. I have no preference, as long as whatever we do we do it well, and it's not shut down by 1) A defense with a pulse, 2) our own stupidity, 3) one player's injury or 4) one coach's boneheadedness.

You want Leach calling the plays despite ever showing the willingness to run the ball? I'm not even convinced Beck can properly teach our RB's how to secure the friggin football. I'm of the opinion that the problem with our offense currently is Pelini "stressing" the importance of things. The problem with Leach's offense is the fact that he considers those short horizontal passes rushes. I saw Okie State nearly pi$$ one down their leg late in the fourth quarter because they were making short horizontal passes while trying to milk the clock. Unfortunately, an incomplete short horizontal pass is still a pass and stops the clock. There's three things that can happen when passing the ball, and two of them are bad.

There's three things that can happen when you run the ball, and two of them - fumble and loss of yardage - are bad.

There's three things that can happen when you run the ball, and two of them - fumble and loss of yardage - are bad.

Same principles apply to the passing game, but also apply the chances of an interception and an incompletion.

Same principles apply to the passing game, but also apply the chances of an interception and an incompletion.

zoogies is pointing that out. Read the last line of junior's post. ;)

zoogies is pointing that out. Read the last line of junior's post. ;)

But a fumble or negative yardage could happen on a pass play. So there are five things that could happen when you pass. And four of them are bad. We better stick to fullback traps and the shortside option.