Offensive Line 2011, BIG BOYS?

I actually think we'd be better off if we were smaller and more athletic, given the type of offense we're trying to run...

1995 Nebraska offensive line:

C Aaron Graham 6'4" 285 lbs

OG Steve Ott 6'4" 275 lbs

OG Aaron Taylor 6'1" 295 lbs

OT Eric Anderson 6'4" 290 lbs

OT Chris Dishman 6'2" 300 lbs

Yea these guys were smaller but my goodness did they have ridiculous strength and they got after those defenses.

I actually think we'd be better off if we were smaller and more athletic, given the type of offense we're trying to run...

Since when are we running the triple option offense of the 90's title teams?

Since when have we decided to keep our "zero TD vs any decent defense" offense? Who are you to say what we'll run next year with a new OC?

So bigger and slower is what we need for the read option? I'll take 300 lb guys that are physical and can run instead of our fat-asses that play patty-cake right now.

Harsh. I'd pay money to see you say that to their faces.

Tell me I'm wrong. Which type of offensive line would you rather have for our style of offense? And don't tell me those other guys couldn't pass block; they didn't give up a single sack in 1995.

Since when have we decided to keep our "zero TD vs any decent defense" offense? Who are you to say what we'll run next year with a new OC?

Since when did we hire a new OC? Who are you to say that we will?

I couldn't help but notice how big our guys will be in 2011. The Holiday bowl really showed how weak are offensive line has become, whether that goes to the Barney or not we need some ground pavers.

Our starting Unit

LT-Sirles 6-6 310

LG-Rodriguez 6-6 325

C-Caputo 6-1 275, (Reeves could push him for the starting job, 6-3 300, more of a center body)

RG-Qvale 6-7 320

RT-Yoshi 6-7 320

Hopefully are offensive strategy will shift from the zone read to more of a downhill runnning attack. We could possibly have a very physical unit next year and that will be a key to become successful in the BIG10.

thoughts?

If he is healthy!

Whether you're running the old triple option or the new spread option, you need guards that can pull and make it to the edge quickly, and you need guys that can get to the second level quickly. You need speed, not just big.

i guess Cotton has at least shown them the cafeteria... <_<

Isn't that really the strength coach's job? And don't we have an outstanding one in Cotton?

I am curious about the size of Wisconsin's OL. I thought just recently we aspired to that end.

You say that as if all of Husker Nation wants the same offense. The only thing that I think all of Husker Nation really wants is to have our old reputation for being physical back again. We can get that out of a Wisconsin-style offense, or out of an Oregon style offense, or an Auburn-style offense, or whatever run-heavy offense you like.

I like the spread option, which I think can exploit speed more than Wisconsin's or Alabama's offenses do. I also think mobile QBs are the way to go in college football. I wouldn't mind taking a piece of Wisconsin's offensive scheme, but I wouldn't want to go to that system altogether.

Whether you're running the old triple option or the new spread option, you need guards that can pull and make it to the edge quickly, and you need guys that can get to the second level quickly. You need speed, not just big.

I agree with the need for good feet and quickness, without checking I'm going to guess the defenses are bigger today than they were then so I do think that we need the bigger line, but then we need to be athletes also. No matter what we need the coaches to develop good fundamental and to make future “big uglies” want to come play for the Huskers.

Not that the '95 O Line wasn't great, but give me 1994:

C Aaron Graham 6'3" 280 lbs

OG Joel Wilks 6'3" 280 lbs

OG Brendan Stai 6'4" 300 lbs (maybe the stongest Nebraska player ever, was strongest man in NFL at one point)

OT Rob Zatechka 6'5" 315 lbs

OT Zach Wiegert 6'5" 300 lbs. Outland Trophy winner

The Pipeline...possibly the greatest in the history of college football.

I agree with the need for good feet and quickness, without checking I'm going to guess the defenses are bigger today than they were then so I do think that we need the bigger line, but then we need to be athletes also. No matter what we need the coaches to develop good fundamental and to make future “big uglies” want to come play for the Huskers.

I can't speak too much to the general size of all defenses from back then... But I can do this:

DT Christian Peter - 6'2" 290

DT Jason Peter - 6'5" 285

DE Jared Tomich - 6'2" 260

DE Grant Wistrom - 6'5" 255

LB Phil Ellis 6'2" 225

LB Terrell Farley 6'1" 205

DT Jared Crick - 6'6" 285

DT Baker Steinkuhler 6'6" 290

DE Pierre Allen 6'5" 265

DE Cameron Meredith 6'4" 265

LB Will Compton 6'2" 225

LB Lavonte David 6'1" 210

Looks about the same to me...

Not that the '95 O Line wasn't great, but give me 1994:

C Aaron Graham 6'3" 280 lbs

OG Joel Wilks 6'3" 280 lbs

OG Brendan Stai 6'4" 300 lbs (maybe the stongest Nebraska player ever, was strongest man in NFL at one point)

OT Rob Zatechka 6'5" 315 lbs

OT Zach Wiegert 6'5" 300 lbs. Outland Trophy winner

The Pipeline...possibly the greatest in the history of college football.

So stupid. Osborne's 90's run is never going to be replicated ever again. I mean, that 1994 offensive line was one of the best of all time. And 4 starters from 1995, which was also one of the best of all time, were backups in 1994. Just ridiculous depth in the trenches.