Tucson to Westboro Baptist Hate Church: Don't mess with us

I like the oversized wings idea

Church plans to picket funeral of Tucson shootings

TUCSON, AZ - Funeral services are set for Thursday for the youngest victim of Saturday's violence, 9-year-old Christina-Taylor Green.

The Westboro Baptist Church is planning on picketing the funeral. You may have heard of this group. They've picketed funerals of people who've died of other controlversial issues.

It seems a lot of people are outraged by this church. Now@9 wants to know -- how do you handle it?

Tucson to Westboro Baptist Hate Church: Don't mess with us (See Video at the link)

After the contemptible jerks at Westboro Baptist Church announced their plan to picket little Christina Taylor Green's funeral this week, Tucson residents came up with a plan to block them from view of people attending.

CNN:

They're planning an "angel action" -- with 8-by-10-foot "angel wings" worn by participants and used to shield mourners from pickets. The actions were created by Coloradan Romaine Patterson, who was shocked to find the Topeka church and its neon signs outside the 1999 funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a young gay man beaten and left on a fence to die in Laramie, Wyoming.

"We want to surround them, in a nonviolent way, to say that our community is united," Gilmer said. "We're a peaceful haven."

"You don't mess with Tucson," said Gilmer, 26, who described it as "a little dot of blue in a sea of red."

Good for them. They've gotten a huge response from the community, too:

But political persuasions don't matter, she said. Republicans, Democrats, independents, right, left and center -- they've all offered their support. Forty-two people have signed up on a Facebook page called "Build Angel Wings for the Westboro Funeral Counter-Protest and Meeting" and more than 4,500 have signed up on another page to "Show Support for the Families of the Tucson Shooting Victims."

"People, businesses, they're all donating material and money to build the angel wings," said Gilmer, who is helping organize the action. And, she added, they're donating to a fund created to help pay for services for the victims of the shooting.

Here's the Facebook page if you want to show your support for them...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-will-not-let-Fred-Phelps-or-WBC-protest-any-funeral-in-Tucson/183976931620895?v=wall

This is no "church". They promote hate and praise violence. They give God a bad name. I, being Catholic, am a strong believer in God and we believe in a merciful, loving God. It makes me sick that these people paint God as a vengeful, spiteful, hateful God. I guess these people have never heard of a man called Jesus Christ before...

This is no "church". They promote hate and praise violence. They give God a bad name. I, being Catholic, am a strong believer in God and we believe in a merciful, loving God. It makes me sick that these people paint God as a vengeful, spiteful, hateful God. I guess these people have never heard of a man called Jesus Christ before...

Yeah, they don't seem very Christian-like at all. I'd be nice if the cops would turn a blind eye during one of their funeral protests while everyone pelts them with a few dozen rotten eggs. Eye for an eye. Rotten eggs for rotten eggs.

I think they fail to understand the word of God. No other explanation needed. Just like the radical muslims that preach about killing infidels and getting all the inexperienced handmaidens after they attain martyrdom. I got it. Send that baptist church over and do live training with the c-4 vest makers. Problem solved.

GBR

i was at sgt. blaine reddings funeral in plattsmouth. FWIW, the 'law' did no favors for the westboro group. N O N E. They did what they had to, by the book, offering no special privileges or attention one way or another. If you grew up in a place like that like i did, that usually means you are completely unwelcome.

The Patriot Guard and the town was in full force, and they (westboro) had one hour to protest, and they climbed in their van a little after 10. The funeral didnt start until 1030. They were an none issue. They had asked for special protection beforehand. It didnt matter.

Its only a matter of time before they have to deal with the paradox of protesting one of their own tragic, senseless funerals.

I served, have a service connected disability and deal with other vets on a regular basis. The hate and vitriol i hear towards westboro constantly from them leaves me surprised the only attack they have faced is the mace incident, here in Nebraska. We are close to these guys, so we are going to see more of them. Im amazed they havent been beaten or attacked yet...not that I ever would, because i feel it would give them more 'ammo'....but because they are f'ing with a highly volatile group to begin with on a regular basis. It will happen.

i was at sgt. blaine reddings funeral in plattsmouth. FWIW, the 'law' did no favors for the westboro group. N O N E. They did what they had to, by the book, offering no special privileges or attention one way or another. If you grew up in a place like that like i did, that usually means you are completely unwelcome.

The Patriot Guard and the town was in full force, and they (westboro) had one hour to protest, and they climbed in their van a little after 10. The funeral didnt start until 1030. They were an none issue. They had asked for special protection beforehand. It didnt matter.

Its only a matter of time before they have to deal with the paradox of protesting one of their own tragic, senseless funerals.

I served, have a service connected disability and deal with other vets on a regular basis. The hate and vitriol i hear towards westboro constantly from them leaves me surprised the only attack they have faced is the mace incident, here in Nebraska. We are close to these guys, so we are going to see more of them. Im amazed they havent been beaten or attacked yet...not that I ever would, because i feel it would give them more 'ammo'....but because they are f'ing with a highly volatile group to begin with on a regular basis. It will happen.

How does the VA treat you 3Mtodd?

T_O_B

:throwdabones1: