How Long?

Should for the 4th year the offense does the same in the second half of the year and no changes are made again whos to blame. Yes Cotton the "nebraska guy" was one of Bo's biggest mistakes.

It's more than just Cotton and I think it's apparent now more than ever. I think at this point everybody is to blame. Bo wants an offense that uses a mobile quarterback and attacks teams with a power spread attack. Watson knows the West Coast. Cotton know the power-i.

It's just a cluster of uncommon ideals that are not meshing well. Either way, I'm not convinced Watson with complete autonomy on an offense is a good thing either. It failed at times in '08 and it failed a lot in '09.

Tom will step down when Gibraltar falls. Tom is the rock upon which this program is founded, and no pipsqueak third-year head coach is going to run him out of town.

Nor, coincidentally, does Bo want to see Tom leave. He has unlimited access to the most successful coach of the last quarter century. Why would he want that wisdom to take a hike?

:yeah

Im new to the board but have been attending games since i was able to as a kid and have been thru the good and bad of recent husker football. My question for all is how long will BO allow Tom to continue run this program? It started with Tom choosing Solich as a coach which was an ok choice in my opinion but Tom left the program and it started to change. Now BO and Tom has been back in the program for 3 years and yes slowly becoming a top program again but how much of an influence does Dr. Tom still have on Bo's decisions. Since the conference with Harvey and Tom it seems like the team lost the fire and passion we saw at the beginning of the season. So my question to you if infact nothing changes in the next two years does BO leave Nebraska or does Tom step down as AD First.

TO is running the program? Influencing Bo's decisions? Based on what? "Nothing" is the answer. TO is 10,000 times too sharp to interfere with Bo's program. Where do people dream this crap up?

That little runt Harvey needs to STFU or pay back NU for Clownahan's raise & contract extension. Not to mention blindly following Pedey's disastrous decisions. Shut up Harvey or your worthless dime-a-dozen bureaucrat ass is gone and you'll be selling popcorn.

Im new to the board but have been attending games since i was able to as a kid and have been thru the good and bad of recent husker football. My question for all is how long will BO allow Tom to continue run this program? It started with Tom choosing Solich as a coach which was an ok choice in my opinion but Tom left the program and it started to change. Now BO and Tom has been back in the program for 3 years and yes slowly becoming a top program again but how much of an influence does Dr. Tom still have on Bo's decisions. Since the conference with Harvey and Tom it seems like the team lost the fire and passion we saw at the beginning of the season. So my question to you if infact nothing changes in the next two years does BO leave Nebraska or does Tom step down as AD First.

TO is running the program? Influencing Bo's decisions? Based on what? "Nothing" is the answer. TO is 10,000 times too sharp to interfere with Bo's program. Where do people dream this crap up?

That little runt Harvey needs to STFU or pay back NU for Clownahan's raise & contract extension. Not to mention blindly following Pedey's disastrous decisions. Shut up Harvey or your worthless dime-a-dozen bureaucrat ass is gone and you'll be selling popcorn.

What cracks me up is every has this Bo is Darth Vader and TO is the emperor complex. That Bo is in charge of the Death Star, but TO's on some star destroyer really calling the shots.

Why the anger for Perlman? The Pederson hire wasn't a horrible call at the time - Stevie had guided Pitt to some pretty good levels of success and had paid dividends in most Olympic sports. Pitt football was even coming back to life. Pederson had strong ties to Nebraska athletics and he's Nebraska-born. That's a pretty solid hire, and most folks were in favor of it at the time, if I recall correctly.

Sure, in retrospect the Pederson Era was a disaster for the football team, but the Olympic sports largely prospered under Pederson. When he was ousted (and rightly so) there were a lot of coaches who expressed sympathy for him, Cook and Sadler among them as I specifically recall.

Perlman fired Pederson when it became clear the situation was untenable. He then hired Tom Osborne, which was a hell of a move. Judged as a whole, the Perlman AD decisions are a net positive – as bad as Pederson was, Osborne is that much better.

The crown jewel in the Perlman tenure is, of course, the move to the Big 10, which will go down in history as perhaps the single biggest decision in the history of UNL. This move, over time, will propel Nebraska into the upper echelon of public universities. Academically this decision is a tour de force. Athletically it'll be a major benefit as well, as we've moved from a conference where ours was the lone voice of dissent into a conference where all members are treated as respected equals.

Perlman made a bad hire in Pederson, but it's forgivable since none of us knew what Pederson would turn into at the time. He rectified that decision five years later, hired THE RIGHT GUY, and brought us into the Big 10. I'd say that's a hell of a run as Chancellor. Offhand, I can't think of another Chancellor whose tenure has been more successful.

TO has always modeled himself after Devaney and has said the one thing he really admired when Bob became AD was he stayed out of the way. Osborne has already stated he will not interfere with the business of Bo. So I don't think any of this is an issue. If Pelini wants changes he'll do it.

“I'm not really good at retiring. I tried that one time and Nancy ran me out of the house.”

Tom Osborne quote

TO has always modeled himself after Devaney and has said the one thing he really admired when Bob became AD was he stayed out of the way. Osborne has already stated he will not interfere with the business of Bo. So I don't think any of this is an issue. If Pelini wants changes he'll do it.

“I'm not really good at retiring. I tried that one time and Nancy ran me out of the house.”

Tom Osborne quote

What does that quote have to do w/ anything? Maybe Nancy ran him out of the house because Tom was trying to tell her how to more efficiently make cookies - and offering up new strategies for winning at bridge? Ever think of that? :)

Why the anger for Perlman? The Pederson hire wasn't a horrible call at the time - Stevie had guided Pitt to some pretty good levels of success and had paid dividends in most Olympic sports. Pitt football was even coming back to life. Pederson had strong ties to Nebraska athletics and he's Nebraska-born. That's a pretty solid hire, and most folks were in favor of it at the time, if I recall correctly.

Sure, in retrospect the Pederson Era was a disaster for the football team, but the Olympic sports largely prospered under Pederson. When he was ousted (and rightly so) there were a lot of coaches who expressed sympathy for him, Cook and Sadler among them as I specifically recall.

Perlman fired Pederson when it became clear the situation was untenable. He then hired Tom Osborne, which was a hell of a move. Judged as a whole, the Perlman AD decisions are a net positive – as bad as Pederson was, Osborne is that much better.

The crown jewel in the Perlman tenure is, of course, the move to the Big 10, which will go down in history as perhaps the single biggest decision in the history of UNL. This move, over time, will propel Nebraska into the upper echelon of public universities. Academically this decision is a tour de force. Athletically it'll be a major benefit as well, as we've moved from a conference where ours was the lone voice of dissent into a conference where all members are treated as respected equals.

Perlman made a bad hire in Pederson, but it's forgivable since none of us knew what Pederson would turn into at the time. He rectified that decision five years later, hired THE RIGHT GUY, and brought us into the Big 10. I'd say that's a hell of a run as Chancellor. Offhand, I can't think of another Chancellor whose tenure has been more successful.

Or, as you just detailed, more of a roller coaster.

I don't see how a couple of down years in football should define Perlman's career at Nebraska, or be considered a roller coaster of a tenure. Pelini deserved an ass chewing for his demeanor during the A&M game. It was an embarassment.

"I think it was very unfortunate, and I think it's something we'll have to address with Bo."

"Bo has a lot of passion for his football team, and there is a strong upside to that. But again, overall, the conduct was unfortunate last night."

"There is a part of the culture of intercollegiate athletics that involves coaches talking strongly to players. That's unfortunate it had to happen on national television. I think that probably occurs in a lot of programs."

3 statements - all obviously accurate. I don't see how we (and the media) have turned those into Perlman "calling out" Bo in the press. Seemed to me he was very supportive considering he'd just watched one of his employees create a firestorm in the press. It wasn't as though he said: "Bo was an embarassment to this university last night, and as chancelor I will take swift action to ensure it never happens again, and if it does he will no longer by an employee of this university" - that would be calling him out. And IF Bo is pissed at Perlman he needs to take a damn look in the mirror and learn how to take it like a man. He dishes out plenty for the entire public to see. Perlman saying his conduct was "unfortunate" sounds fairly mild in comparison.

^ When I said "roller coaster" I was referring to the ups and downs, and I never said the "roller coaster" tenure was a bad thing. Some of it's been self-inflicted on Perl's part, but overall I'd say he's done a fine job, especially since getting TO as the AD.

This question is based on nothing but hearsay. How about before you ask a question you base it on fact. Or reword your question. There is nothen that I have seen or heard that said Dr. Tom Osborne is (micro managing) the team. My personal belief is Bo Pelini would not stick around if that was the case.

^ When I said "roller coaster" I was referring to the ups and downs, and I never said the "roller coaster" tenure was a bad thing. Some of it's been self-inflicted on Perl's part, but overall I'd say he's done a fine job, especially since getting TO as the AD.

I wouldn't call one bad decision - that, again, didn't clearly become a bad decision until at least a year after it was made - a "roller coaster."

Perlman has had one misstep. He's had many, many correct steps. Another one which I failed to detail is the acquisition of the former State Fair grounds for development into Innovation Campus, yet another gold mine for the University. The guy's accolades FAR outweigh the one major misstep he's made. And had he known then what we all know now, there's no way he hires Pederson. But he didn't have the benefit of that 2007 knowledge in 2002.