Big Ten Blackshirts

ADS

Upon further review, Nebraska won't just have the best Big Ten defense heading into its first league season – it could have the best individual player at each of the three levels of defense.

That's because almost all of the best Big Ten players during the 2010 season either graduated Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan, Michigan State's Greg Jones, Ohio State's Cam Heyward, Iowa's Adrian Clayborn – or declared for the NFL Draft – Illinois' Martez Wilson and Corey Liuget, Wisconsin's J.J. Watt.

Husker Monday Takes

I'm still far from convinced our defense will be the top unit in the Big10. Ohio State lost 9 starters, so I'll say we probably top them. But they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far. Cassidy != Gomes/Hagg, Evans != Amukamara. The question is will Crick, Stein, Meredith, and David be "that" much better to compesate for the losses. Our line should be extremely dominant next year - I am hopefully it's enough to make up for our losses in the secondary. Only time will tell.

I'm still far from convinced our defense will be the top unit in the Big10. Ohio State lost 9 starters, so I'll say we probably top them. But they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far. Cassidy != Gomes/Hagg, Evans != Amukamara. The question is will Crick, Stein, Meredith, and David be "that" much better to compesate for the losses. Our line should be extremely dominant next year - I am hopefully it's enough to make up for our losses in the secondary. Only time will tell.

i completely agree with boobs, although i would say i think boobs and boobs will be just fine next year replacing boobs. as far as boobs and boobs anchoring the boobs, well, how can it not be better. i mean, theyre still boobs, with another year of boobs under their belt.

• Fire 1

i completely agree with boobs, although i would say i think boobs and boobs will be just fine next year replacing boobs. as far as boobs and boobs anchoring the boobs, well, how can it not be better. i mean, theyre still boobs, with another year of boobs under their belt.

above the belt - the ones under the belt have long since retired...

:LOLtartar:yeah:rollin:worship

I'm still far from convinced our defense will be the top unit in the Big10. Ohio State lost 9 starters, so I'll say we probably top them.

2010 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

2009 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

2008 - Ohio State ranked 6th in scoring defense

2007 - Ohio State ranked 1st in scoring defense

2006 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense (This was the season we lost a large amount of people on defense)

2005 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

Yes there's a dropoff when you lose people, but the good defensive teams pick up right where they left off after a couple of games. Also a lot of our backups received playtime this season due to injuries.

2007 - Ohio State ranked 1st in scoring defense (This was the season we lost a large amount of people on defense)

2006 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense

Yes there's a dropoff when you lose people, but the good defensive teams pick up right where they left off after a couple of games. Also a lot of our backups received playtime this season due to injuries.

Just to add to coqui, we have our mantra that Ohio State doesn't rebuild, we reload.

Fonzie is going to be a lock-down corner. We'll put Evans at the other corner, and if he plays remotely like the glimpses of brilliance he showed last year, we'll be fine in the secondary. Dijon Washington and Lazari Middleton were hyped up quite a bit, and should (hopefully) provide depth. At the two safeties we'll have a choice of Cassidy, PJ Smith and Courtney Osborne, all of whom have inspired confidence at one time or another. Andrew Green is in the secondary mix somewhere, as is Antonio Bell, and both appear to be coachable athletes. We'll have a secondary as good as anyone in the Big 10, if not better.

Our D Line is going to be solid. Crick should be a bulwark, and I presume that Steinkuhler hasn't peaked and will improve. Subbing Rome, Randle and Moore in shouldn't be much of a dropoff, so we have good depth at DT. Meredith should have a fine season and shouldn't drop off at all, and if he improves on 2010 he'll be a force. I don't presume to know who's going to get the starting nod at the other DE spot, but if Ankrah turns out to be anything like the hype, he'll be just fine on the other end. If it's Eric Martin, hopefully he's found a way to channel that aggression into smart play. If so, our DEs should be terrifying, and either EMart or Ankrah will provide quality depth. I am not concerned about our D Line at all.

Where I'm really concerned is at LB. Fisher and Compton have yet to live up to the gaudy hype they received when they were recruits. Neither have been terrible, and of course the jury's still way out on Fisher since he lost a year. Here's hoping both improve and provide solid run-stuffing hits. Compton should be ahead of Fisher due to game experience, but Fisher is supposed to be quite good. The one guy we're not concerned with is LaVonte David, who should bulk up a bit yet still remain a major force behind the line. I'm very happy to have him back this year. If guys like Whaley and Matt May can provide good minutes behind an improved Fisher and Compton, we'll be OK.

Overall I'm happy with where our defense is right now. We lose guys, but we have solid depth behind them. We should be a stingy defense once again in 2011.

I just hope our offense can figure out what's going on at some point so we can make some waves. If not, it's going to be another depressing year of stupid losses.

Just to add to coqui, we have our mantra that Ohio State doesn't rebuild, we reload.

Yeah, whatever. We were saying that a decade ago. Except we reloaded and captured a couple more MNCs. Not just top-10 finishes.

Yeah, whatever. We were saying that a decade ago. Except we reloaded and captured a couple more MNCs. Not just top-10 finishes.

Looking at OSU's recent run I think the Buckeye fans among us have every reason to expect another solid defense. Our MNCs were a long time ago. This is probably the first year where we can legitimately say we're reloading on defense in quite a while. Maybe last year, but this year for sure.

OSU has been reloading for years and years under The Vest.

• Fire 1

Nothing wrong with that nor is there anything wrong with consistently finishing in the top 10.

That's exactly what coqui and I are getting at. We are consistent. Just because we lose a ton of starters doesn't mean that we are going to see a significant drop off.

No reason we shouldn't have the top defense in the league. Not a single school in the Big Ten can match our speed and athleticism on that side of the ball. Not even tOSU.

The problem is, with a sputtering and turnover prone offense, the stats won't tell the story of how great our defense will be.

I'm still far from convinced our defense will be the top unit in the Big10. Ohio State lost 9 starters, so I'll say we probably top them.

2006 - Ohio State ranked 5th in scoring defense (This was the season we lost a large amount of people on defense)

Don't get defensive...the next sentence was "they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far" - thanks for taking the statement out of context. Now I know what Bo goes through

Don't get defensive...the next sentence was "they still were the #3 scoring defense last year, they won't fall too far" - thanks for taking the statement out of context. Now I know what Bo goes through

I think he was too busy staring at your avatar to read your whole post.