Nebraska ends licensing relationship with Corn Fed

Nexus

Sean Callahan's Twitter:

Nebraska has ended their licensing relationship with Corn Fed (Casey Martinez's apparel company), per the request of Casey Martinez.

This was just released in a statement from Tom Osborne. It also said the licensing relationship happened before NU's recruitment of Taylor.

Tom Osborne: "Both parties agreed that it would be prudent to no longer have a licensing relationship between the NU and Corn Fed."

LINK

I'm betting that was a mutual agreement with the NCAA poking around at recruiting improprieties.

To me this whole thing seemed fishy, whether it was before Taylors recruitment or not. IMO, it is unethical to have sports apparel license with the same school that your son/daughter plays college athletics at.

Was this the only school Mr. Martinez had an apparel license with????

I'm betting that was a mutual agreement with the NCAA poking around at recruiting improprieties.

To me this whole thing seemed fishy, whether it was before Taylors recruitment or not. IMO, it is unethical to have sports apparel license with the same school that your son/daughter plays college athletics at.

No, he had licensing agreements with others, but we were the most prominent (I believe).

Casey Martinez, who once played football briefly at Iowa State, said Corn Fed had licensing agreements with as many as eight schools at one time but now has “maybe four.” The University of Iowa, he said in an e-mail, is currently the best-selling co-branded apparel for Corn Fed. But Martinez said licensing sales overall make up a very small portion of his company’s sales.

LINK

No. Iowa State, Iowa and Northern Iowa did too. Northern Iowa no longer has a deal with Corn Fed though.

“We have recently learned that while Taylor Martinez has no ownership in Corn Fed Apparel, Inc., he is registered as the owner of the Corn Fed trademark, and also the CornFed.com domain name. Again, this arrangement does not violate any NCAA rules

Taylors name on the company probably didnt look good from the NCAAs point of view.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/nu_casey_martinez_end_licensing_agreement.html

“We have recently learned that while Taylor Martinez has no ownership in Corn Fed Apparel, Inc., he is registered as the owner of the Corn Fed trademark, and also the CornFed.com domain name. Again, this arrangement does not violate any NCAA rules

Taylors name on the company probably didnt look good from the NCAAs point of view.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/nu_casey_martinez_end_licensing_agreement.html

I remember taylor wearing the "cornfed" hooded sweatshirts the few times he did speak to the press. Everyone else had on husker adidas apparel. that probably didnt sit well the AD office.

This is much ado about nothing. We didn't pay Casey Martinez. Casey Martinez paid NU to put the Husker trademarked logo on his shirts. Just like he paid Iowa and a couple of other schools. It would have been a scandal if NU had let him use NU's trademarked logos without compensating the university.

That, and the dollar amounts were a pidly amount. Something like a few hundred bucks.