Another DUI........

Do you really think this is a team discipline problem? Or is it typical college kid behavior? Who here didn't drink in college? Sure it's stupid and I'm not condoning it... but I did it.

I agree, but honestly they are not typical college kids. As much as people in the state would love to say that you know that they are held to a higher standard. They are a representation of an athletic department. Go drink, get an mip if you're going to get anything, bc they are nearly impossible to get in this town. A football player has a direct social outreach of nearly 120 guys. Call one. 3 duis in 2 months from a program is unacceptable imo.

On the positive, at least it wasn't theft or drugs. It was just what most college kids do in the first place.

Most college kids drink. Much less than most drink and drive. Really are no positives in this case.

Disagree. Almost every person I knew in college (which was not long ago) was guilty of drinking and driving at least a couple times. It's just that 99% don't get caught. I think you'd be amazed if you knew how many kids drink and drive in Lincoln every night.

While I definitely admit that just about everyone I knew in college had driven drunk on occasion (some made it a nightly) thing, working in student affairs now, I interact with so many "good" kids that I never associated with during undergrad. These kids don't go out, yet alone drink, yet alone drink and drive and I would say that we probably have more of these types than the types I hung around with (this too being at the #1 party school in America). I'm sure UNL has a similar population of these types that you never really know/notice because they don't go out and were/are way out of the drinking/go out social circles.

Or maybe as a student you were more in the know then now. Some of the "good" kids you mention may have extracurricular activities you're not aware of.

Nope, I'm still very much "in the know" as you put it. Still go downtown multiple times a week, still go to band parties, never see any of the "good" kids that I'm talking about.

I don't know your situation, so I'll take your word for it. However, what I do know is that I was a "good" kid and I can promise you no one that was not a friend of mine knew what I did. I had a strict upbringing and even when I started drinking I didn't feel comfortable with anyone other than my friends knowing I drank. There are many other places to drink besides bars and band parties. I got a DUI (sidenote: complete bs, I passed my field sobriety tests but still had to blow, blew a .09, it was dumb sure, but I can promise you I was still able drive better than half the sorority chicks I watched driving around campus stone sober every day, but I digress) I got a DUI and I can't even begin to tell you how many kids told me their parents/grandparents couldn't believe it and how many professors, old teachers, coaches, church couples, etc, asked me about it and couldn't believe it was actually me. "Good" kids find places to drink and often make the mistake of driving afterwards, just like everyone else.

I'm not denying that some of these kids drink and maybe some of them really do drink and drive. All I'm saying is that "most college kids" aren't doing it. Even if most were drunk driving, I don't think that it should be considered an acceptable recreational activity for the football players.

I'm not denying that some of these kids drink and maybe some of them really do drink and drive. All I'm saying is that "most college kids" aren't doing it. Even if most were drunk driving, I don't think that it should be considered an acceptable recreational activity for the football players.

I can definitely agree with you on that :cheers (perhaps I should have chosen a different emoticon for this thread)

I can definitely agree with you on that :cheers (perhaps I should have chosen a different emoticon for this thread)

No, just a different phrase implying that you agree. I think that "I drink to that!" would be appropriate

post-3114-079799200 1296604374.jpg

dui's in general are up.

i wonder what the per capita or what not is, comparatively, between the football team and 'general' college population.

I’ll bet the football team is below the norm for 19-22 year old college guys. I know I probably deserved to be pulled over a few times--okay, quite a few times--when I was in college. But, knock on wood, I never got tagged with a DUI.

A different thought: I wonder how many beers a 270 lb guy has to drink to blow a 0.120 BAC?

On the positive, at least it wasn't theft or drugs. It was just what most college kids do in the first place.

yep, welcome to Beer U........Bo has a team disicipline problem, on and off the field.....oh well.

First of all, there are 120 guys roughly between the ages of 18 and 22. How responsible we're you at 18 to 22??? The majority of us were testosterone driven, drunken, hornballs. They're kids, they do dumb sh*t. Hello

Just say you hate Bo, it'll get easier as time goes on...

To suggest this is a team issue is a bit of a stretch to say the least.

to suggest the only players doing this are being caught is a bit of a stretch as well. <_<

dui's in general are up.

i wonder what the per capita or what not is, comparatively, between the football team and 'general' college population.

I’ll bet the football team is below the norm for 19-22 year old college guys. I know I probably deserved to be pulled over a few times--okay, quite a few times--when I was in college. But, knock on wood, I never got tagged with a DUI.

A different thought: I wonder how many beers a 270 lb guy has to drink to blow a 0.120 BAC?

From a medical person, I was told I could consume roughly four beers in one hour to be right at .08. I'm roughly two thirds of the weight you listed, so I'd venture to guess a 270 pounder could consume roughly six beers in one hour to be at .08. To get up to .12, I'd assume they'd have to consume roughly eight beers in an hour or ten beers over three hours.

dui's in general are up.

From a medical person, I was told I could consume roughly four beers in one hour to be right at .08. I'm roughly two thirds of the weight you listed, so I'd venture to guess a 270 pounder could consume roughly six beers in one hour to be at .08. To get up to .12, I'd assume they'd have to consume roughly eight beers in an hour or ten beers over three hours.

Yeah, I'd guesstimate six or eight beers within a couple of hours would do it. That's pretty irresponsible when you think how much the guy has riding on the situation.