Chinese government pirates Top Gun for "military footage"

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Chinese air force drill looks awfully similar to ‘Top Gun’

By Joe Pompeo

On Jan. 23, China's state broadcaster, CCTV, ran a story about an air force training exercise that contained some suspicious footage.

Around the segment's one minute 12 seconds mark (see above), as the China-U.S.-oriented blog Ministry of Tofu pointed out, "the way a target was hit by the air-to-air missile fired by a J-10 fighter aircraft and exploded looks almost identical to a cinema scene from the Hollywood film Top Gun."

Viewers were led to believe that what they were seeing was a live fire exercise. But according to Ministry of Tofu: "A net user who went by the name "刘毅" (Liu Yi) pointed out that the jet that the J-10 'hit' is an F-5, a US fighter jet. In Top Gun, what the leading actor Tom Cruise pilots an F-14 to bring down is exactly an F-5. Looking at the screenshots juxtaposition, one cannot fail to find that even flame, smoke and the way the splinters fly look the same."

Not convinced? The Wall Street Journal's China Real Time Report put the videos side-by-side.

(Click headline for side-by-side videos)

• Fire 1

I was just thinking that nobody could possibly be this stupid.

After watching, I am pretty confident about this thread title being extremely misleading.

Rather than the Chinese government releasing that footage and trying to pass it off as such, some idiot news station just put that footage up as part of their news report.

It is quite common, unfortunately, for irresponsible news stations to do this sort of thing. I remember when BBC/CNN were running stories about the Tibetan riots. They'd try to go along the "Big strong military crackdown" theme and would run pictures of non-Chinese soldiers along with their stories.

Makes me :facepalm: at news media everywhere.