Greetings!

Hawknut5

I would love to meet some cool Huskers this November and tailgate for my first visit to Lincoln.

There will be no shortage of that my friend. I'd reserve a room downtown well in advance if you plan on staying the weekend though.

I live in Omaha so I will just go to the game and go right back. Thanks for the advice though! Might have to carry that over to my friends making the trip from Des Moines.

I didn't mean to act like a baby, but living in Omaha I do get a lot of crap for being a Hawkeye fan. I come over here and it's the same stuff.

You definitely need a thicker skin if the gentle joshing you received (after you started it, no less) made you go off the deep end like that.

This.

On Squawknation.com, they talk about how horrible Nebraska fans treat Iowa fans, how terrible of people we are, how we ridicule Iowans, Squawk flags that are flown by transplanted Iowans in Nebraska get torn down, their cars get spray painted, houses set on fire....NU fans walk around with baseball bats looking to bash in the heads of anybody who dares set foot in the great state of Nebraska with out donning Husker red. Most are scared to death to attempt to come to the NU/IU game this year.

I have to point out to them that the ONLY people I have ever heard that from are Iowa or ISU fans, or people who start it themselves. I have told them numerous stories about how (with some rare exceptions) opposing fans congratulate us and thank us on our treatment of the opposing fans, even Texas fans were very complimentary of their treatment. Heck, when we joined the Big 10, we didn't make up some stupid little trailer park skit about fans of other conference teams and put them on a "news cast." The last time I was on Squawknation.com, I called a couple of the dude liars, flat out.

More than anything, it's pretty much an inferiority complex.

I would love to meet some cool Huskers this November and tailgate for my first visit to Lincoln.

There will be no shortage of that my friend. I'd reserve a room downtown well in advance if you plan on staying the weekend though.

I live in Omaha so I will just go to the game and go right back. Thanks for the advice though! Might have to carry that over to my friends making the trip from Des Moines.

Ah, you did say that. Well, I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure there are some old threads here if you dig deep about things to do/see while in Lincoln for games including bars, tailgates, parking, etc.

Squawk flags that are flown by transplanted Iowans in Nebraska get torn down, their cars get spray painted, houses set on fire

That's so stupid! :laughpound

There's a Colorado fan on Vine street between 27th & 33rd who's lived there over ten years. He has a CU flag hanging from his front porch EVERY SINGLE DAY. He has CU bumper stickers on his car and he has some other crap on his porch. If we did all that stuff he'd have had to buy 100 flags by now, and frankly, if he's living in that house he can't afford a new flag each year, let alone 100.

People love to talk about how horrible we are, but it's all such bunk.

Ok boys, gotta come to the rescue here, you all know I am a hawk fan, but maintain high respect for all good teams.

1. stop talking about your storied past, you do realize B10 is the oldest D1 conference right?

2. No use comparing winning seasons or percentages cuz we played different opponents (except IA St and we all know they suck).

3. While Bo is a good coach KF is a better one. Some one made the comment about our recruits, sure NU sent 9 this year but so did Iowa and OH. Says alot when a coach can take 2 and 3 star recruits and send them to the nfl.

4. Get all the facts on the Iowa training program before making cracks at it, I would bet it had something to do with drinking or something (heck even another player said that).

5. yes you guys smoked Missery but we beat them with alot of 3rd and 4th string players

6. When you all play in a bowl game in the B10 I dont care if you are playing sh1t stain school, you win it, something the other teams in the B10 cant get thru thier heads. Iowa is the only one pulling thier wieght in that dept.

I look forward to the game,

1 because NU seems to underestimate

2 Cuz KF doesnt seem to lose the bigger games, just cant win the give me ones.

3 Iowa plays really physical ball, where as Nu is trying the speed thing (worked for TCU against Wisky)

4 No matter what happens my house will be a blast cuz I am from Iowa and a hawk fan and the ole lady is from Nebraske and a Husker fan.

1. If you think Nebraska's storied past is old . . . well sir . . . the Big Ten's heyday is ancient

2. Nebraska's worst decade out of the last 5 is roughly equal to Iowa's best.

3. Ferentz seems to be best at drumming up the idea that he is leaving to get a raise. All of this while winning a stunning 59% of his games. (Pelini has won 71% of his.) But yeah. Ignore the facts. Ferentz is better . . . at getting player hospitalized. ZING.

4.Ah. You "would bet" that it was the players fault and relieve the program of all responsibility. I'm shocked.

5. We smoked Missouri without our starting QB for 3/4 of the game.

6. Exactly. You talk about the Big Ten like it's so superior . . . but that sure doesn't show up in December and January does it? Reality doesn't match your rhetoric.

It's been fun sir. Hopefully I wasn't too rough with you. :throwdabones1:

Ok boys, gotta come to the rescue here, you all know I am a hawk fan, but maintain high respect for all good teams.

1. stop talking about your storied past, you do realize B10 is the oldest D1 conference right?

2. No use comparing winning seasons or percentages cuz we played different opponents (except IA St and we all know they suck).

3. While Bo is a good coach KF is a better one. Some one made the comment about our recruits, sure NU sent 9 this year but so did Iowa and OH. Says alot when a coach can take 2 and 3 star recruits and send them to the nfl.

4. Get all the facts on the Iowa training program before making cracks at it, I would bet it had something to do with drinking or something (heck even another player said that).

5. yes you guys smoked Missery but we beat them with alot of 3rd and 4th string players

6. When you all play in a bowl game in the B10 I dont care if you are playing sh1t stain school, you win it, something the other teams in the B10 cant get thru thier heads. Iowa is the only one pulling thier wieght in that dept.

I look forward to the game,

1 because NU seems to underestimate

2 Cuz KF doesnt seem to lose the bigger games, just cant win the give me ones.

3 Iowa plays really physical ball, where as Nu is trying the speed thing (worked for TCU against Wisky)

4 No matter what happens my house will be a blast cuz I am from Iowa and a hawk fan and the ole lady is from Nebraske and a Husker fan.

I'll (may) give you KF is a better game day coach than Bo but it's a push at developing talent. Nebraska didn't have 11 4-star kids in any of Bo's classes prior to this year. Bo is as good as anyone at developing NFL talent on the defensive side of the ball. Of the 9 kids (most likely 10 when McNeil gets a late invite) Bo is sending to the NFL combine, 1 was a 4-star (Niles Paul).

I hear all the time how good KF is as a coach in big games (and I believe it every time). What I don't hear is how come you guys consistently lose to bad teams. Iowa underperforms year-in-year-out and a lot of it has to do with losing games you have no reason to lose.

The only reason the training program was brought up was because our other lovely Hawkeye fan made an extremely ignorant remark about Bo ruining a marine's dream.

The Big 10 and Big 12 had the exact same record in the bowls this past season. Comparing direct schedules/records might not be perfect but it's not comparing apples to oranges.

Lastly, style of play in the Big 10:

Wisconsin - Power

Iowa - power

Michigan State - power

Penn State - power (arguable)

Minnesota - pro? (they don't count anyway)

Ohio State - spread (arguable)

Northwestern - spread

Indiana - spread

Purdue - spread

Illinois - spread

Michigan - spread (said to be pro under Hoke)

My point about styles is, yes, the big 12 is all spread but the big 10 has it as well. Do you Bo's defense has never seen a play-action play before (lord knows Shawn Watson hasn't)?

Can't wait to play this game. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Ok So since the begining of the Bcs in 98 lets take a look. Because and I quote "Before the BCS, things were fuzzier. The mythical "National Champion" was ... well, mythical. There was no one organization to crown college football's national champion. Instead, there were multiple polls [primarily AP (press) and UPI/ESPN/USA Today (coaches)]. And, each poll would simply vote at the end of the year and name its #1 team."

So now we have what the NC, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

By that Nu has been to one more Bcs bowl with a 2 to 1 record

Iowa has been to 2 with a 1 to 1 record

Not alot of bragging rights by either team if you ask me, but wait lets dig some more

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

Whats it all mean, who cares lets play ball and hope it's a good game!

Ok So since the begining of the Bcs in 98 lets take a look. Because and I quote "Before the BCS, things were fuzzier. The mythical "National Champion" was ... well, mythical. There was no one organization to crown college football's national champion. Instead, there were multiple polls [primarily AP (press) and UPI/ESPN/USA Today (coaches)]. And, each poll would simply vote at the end of the year and name its #1 team."

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

Not alot of bragging rights by either team if you ask me, but wait lets dig some more

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

I wonder why you would pick 1998? It seems like such an arbitrary year. Hmmm.

You're going to have to try a little harder. What you've done here is painfully transparent.

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

Isn't all this BS history? The same history were aren't supposed to ever bring up?

Not too mention completely proves the point of our irrelevant era = your Golden Era.

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

You're going to have to try a little harder. What you've done here is painfully transparent.

Wasnt it 98 when the current bcs started? Also I love IA beats TX and Tex T 3 out of 4 of those, arent they like NU's kryptonite?

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

Wasnt it 98 when the current bcs started? Also I love IA beats TX and Tex T 3 out of 4 of those, arent they like NU's kryptonite?

1998 is correct. I'd gladly root for IA over Texas anytime.

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

Isn't all this BS history? The same history were aren't supposed to ever bring up?

Not too mention completely proves the point of our irrelevant era = your Golden Era.

That was my original idea but as was pointed out it's not apples and oranges, which haveing some sort of brain problems made me hungry for an apple and started me to thinking about the orange bowl which lead to all bcs bowls which led to Nu and IA's record in such Bcs bowls and here we are.

98 NU Orange W

00 NU Fiesta W

02 Rose L

02 IA Orange L

09 IA Orange W

NU against B10 in bowls

86 NU vs Mich L

00 NU vs Northwestern W

03 Nu vs Mich ST W

05 NU vs Mich W

Record 3 to 1

IA against B12 in bowls

84 IA vs TEX W

96 IA vs TEX Tech W

01 IA vs Tex Tech W

06 IA vs Tex L

10 IA vs Missery W

Record 4 to 1

He stated why he picked 1998 if you would care to actually read his post. What he did IS painfully transparent. He compared the two teams in postseason play through the modern (BCS) era both in BCS bowls as well as in head to head matchups against the opposing conference. Not sure why he went all time in head to head conference matchups instead of just leaving it from 98 forward - changes the numbers to 3-0 NE, 2-1 Iowa. Not a whole lot of data there and BOTH teams need to do better at getting to the big bowls in the modern era.