LJS: Beck used to taking on a challenge

Nexus

Fact of the matter. . .it isn't important if the average Joe thinks Beck is a good choice or not. Only those who have coached with him would truly know. And there has to be something said for trust with your coaches. You don't get that by hiring "the hot coach" always. Hell when Solich revamped his staff he basically hired guys he knew (except Bo) and it took a while for them to jell. BC did the same thing. . that's why we ended up with Wisconsin's left overs. I think Florida will be in for a big surprise because when the going gets tough you have to fully trust that guy next to you and I don't know if Muschramps and Charie and the Chocolate factory will have that.

Regardless. . sounds like the staff is in place and we'll have an announcement shortly. (next day or so). I don't think anyone knows who's on board for sure but the hot names are Burns (RB Bama), Tim Albion (former NU currently with the fighting frankies) and Garrison. But those are pretty much guesses. I hope there will be hard info out there tomorrow and that sounds like there is a good chance of that happening.

From what has been posted on the board it sounds like Burns would be one hell of an addition with some great connections. Not too sure about he other two. Skers can you give some insight on what you've heard about the other two? Garrison, being on staff, there has to be some news on him. What his role has been, how good of a technical teacher, etc.? I've never even heard of the other guy...any info at all?

I totally disagree.

How is Becks resume not impressive? He was a good coach in the state of Texas which is basically like a small college team if you consider how high schools down there have million dollar facilities, The guy is a greater recruiter, he worked on a staff that took one of the worst teams in college football with a converted QB as WR and made them into a great offense, then came to Nebraska and coached the best unit on offense. I'd say Beck has done a good job and is just as deserving as anyone to be the OC.

I could see Beck deservedly going to a mid-major school to get his shot at OC. For Nebraska, his "impressiveness" should come from play calling and offensive scheming. It does not. This isn't a high-school football program, it isn't a Division II program and this isn't 1996. I would rather see someone with recent success scheming and playcalling at a major program come here. I understand that it probably won't happen, but this attitude of "I heart mediocrity" with all of these coaching change-ups is somewhat disturbing.

Here's how I see it. A top notch OC would not be willing to make a lateral move without total control over the offense and their staff. I just don't see Bo giving that control to anyone.

I totally disagree.

How is Becks resume not impressive? He was a good coach in the state of Texas which is basically like a small college team if you consider how high schools down there have million dollar facilities, The guy is a greater recruiter, he worked on a staff that took one of the worst teams in college football with a converted QB as WR and made them into a great offense, then came to Nebraska and coached the best unit on offense. I'd say Beck has done a good job and is just as deserving as anyone to be the OC.

I could see Beck deservedly going to a mid-major school to get his shot at OC. For Nebraska, his "impressiveness" should come from play calling and offensive scheming. It does not. This isn't a high-school football program, it isn't a Division II program and this isn't 1996. I would rather see someone with recent success scheming and playcalling at a major program come here. I understand that it probably won't happen, but this attitude of "I heart mediocrity" with all of these coaching change-ups is somewhat disturbing.

The conviction that the hires are mediocre without any evidence is even more disturbing. If all you want is a big "splash" with every hire, then go root for Notre Dame. All those "great" hires have done them wonders over the last 15 years.

• Fire 1

I totally disagree.

Where the hell in Becks resume does it scream mediocre?

I totally disagree.

Where does it say anything but mediocre?

Miramar HS (mediocre)

Illinois State (mediocre)

Kansas State (mediocre)

Saguaro HS (mediocre)

Missouri State (mediocre)

RL Turner HS (mediocre)

Mansfield Summit HS (mediocre)

Kansas (mediocre)

Nebraska (the offense during his 3 years?...mediocre would have been a blessing)

PS: I don't have a problem w/ the hire - but you can't argue that it's flashy. He's 1 job and a few years from the HS ranks. AND he didn't even make it through a full career at UCF. (anyone know why?)

PS: I don't have a problem w/ the hire - but you can't argue that it's flashy. He's 1 job and a few years from the HS ranks. AND he didn't even make it through a full career at UCF. (anyone know why?)

He's not saying that Beck is flashy. He's saying his resume is "not mediocre." "Flashy" is not the only antonym of "not mediocre."

Gus Malzahn was a high school coach five years ago. This year his offense (and some QB named Newton) led Auburn to the Heisman and a MNC. It's not a truism that a High School coaching career will equate to failure in college.

He's not saying that Beck is flashy. He's saying his resume is "not mediocre." "Flashy" is not the only antonym of "not mediocre."

You could easily say it is mediocre though - no where he's worked has it beein anything but mediocre. Maybe his specific job was above mediocracy...but glancing at the resume I'd be less than impressed.

Miramar HS (mediocre)

Kansas State (mediocre)

Saguaro HS (mediocre)

RL Turner HS (mediocre)

Kansas (mediocre)

Nebraska (the offense during his 3 years?...mediocre would have been a blessing)

How are those stints "mediocre" exactly? He won a state title at Sagauro and took a team that was brand new to the playoffs at Mansfield. Kansas was a pretty darn good offense and went 12-1 including beating VT. His Missouri St. team set offensive records when he was calling the plays. I don't know anything about the other stints than NU. Got any stats to go with your assertions?

Malzahn's coaching resume before going to Arkansas: 14 years of HS stuff.

Sometimes wild success at a mediocre place, will land you somewhere higher. It's why those Tulsa OCs are hot commodities lately. Beck's run in the Texas HS ranks can be described as pretty dang impressive, which is what is encouraging about him. But obviously it does not look like Bo is going to let him design and runthe offense so much as call plays.

Miramar HS (mediocre)

Kansas State (mediocre)

Saguaro HS (mediocre)

RL Turner HS (mediocre)

Kansas (mediocre)

How are those stints "mediocre" exactly? He won a state title at Sagauro and took a team that was brand new to the playoffs at Mansfield. Kansas was a pretty darn good offense and went 12-1 including beating VT. His Missouri St. team set offensive records when he was calling the plays. I don't know anything about the other stints than NU. Got any stats to go with your assertions?

the MSU offense racked up 4,542 total yards-the fourth-best single-season mark in school history. Yippie!

Calm down :) - You were originally repsonding to someone that was hoping for a flashy hire...in which case you'd want to see 1 or more of the following on the resume: Alabama, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida State, Miami, USC etc. If you wanna group Kansas in there fine - but how many wildly successful coaches have Kansas on the last few years of their resume?

Will Muschamp: LSU, Miami Dolphins, Auburn.... Flashy hire when Texas brought him in.

From a purely name recognition standpoint everywhere he's been is mediocre. If he was AMAZINGLY successful at Kansas School for the deaf does that all of a sudden qualify the school as similar to Ohio State? Quit just asking me how they are mediocre when you know they are bottom-middle of the pack schools.

He was a scouting assistant, defensive back coach, and linebacker coach. Most people including myself didn't even know who he was. Point being, he wasn't a flashy hire but turned out to be pretty good.

But it looks good on the resume...regardless, does that make the schools that Beck worked for not mediocre? If you're going to jump into the argument pick a side. I can name you 100 good coaches that started out as HS coaches or came from places like New Hampshire (Chip Kelly) and turned out fine. That's not what we're talking about. Beck IS NOT a flashy hire. Nothing wrong w/ that - I've said multiple times I like the hire. It's questionable and risky but I like it. But that's not the discussion here.