Watson to NFL

The Titans just fired their OC mike heimerdinger today. It could be a good fit. My link

:bang

Dear god no, keep Watson away from my Titans, we have enough problems to worry about, we don't need Watson to destroy an already solid offense set in place! Even though it's already obvious that Watson is gone, I would not want my pro team to help my college team out in this case. Now if it were NOT obvious Watson was gone, then I MIGHT be okay with it.

Watson: Good guy, probably super smart at the QB position, but seems to be too smart for his own good, doesn't stick with what works, and would probably be a better position coach rather than a coordinator. But that's just how I see it. Good guy, family guy, super smart, just over-matched, kind of how I feel about Cally in some ways, great O-Line coach, probably a good coordinator, but not a head coach fit, just too outmatched and too much responsibilities.

Both are probably better off in the NFL anyway. Good luck.

The Titans just fired their OC mike heimerdinger today. It could be a good fit. My link

Dear god no, keep Watson away from my Titans, we have enough problems to worry about, we don't need Watson to destroy an already solid offense set in place!

Which Titans team are you talking about? The one that was 27th in Total Offense, 17th in scoring offense, doesn’t have a starting QB, or a legit #1 or #2 WR? Is that the team that already has its offense in place?

Dear god no, keep Watson away from my Titans, we have enough problems to worry about, we don't need Watson to destroy an already solid offense set in place!

Which Titans team are you talking about? The one that was 27th in Total Offense, 17th in scoring offense, doesn’t have a starting QB, or a legit #1 or #2 WR? Is that the team that already has its offense in place?

That's the point. They have POTENTIAL. Just like the Husker offense. POTENTIAL. Due to INEPT COACHING, they sputter, seems to be a familiar trend on this message board when the offense doesn't succeed.

To say Kenny Britt isn't a "legit #1 or #2" receiver is simply, laughable. We don't throw the ball as much as we should/as much as some teams do, which would make the STATS look less than they are, but to say he isn't a #1 is dumb. If he and Moss were on the field at the same time, like they should have been, playing to their potential, it would open up a lot more and we would look a lot better.

We got rid of the BIG problem, Jeff Fisher, who was WAY WAY WAY too conservative on offense to make a difference, and for being a "defensive coach" his defenses were below-average to terrible. He tried to turn Chris Johnson into a power back, coming off of a 2,006 yard season, and running backs rarely have an amazing season coming off of a 2,000 yard season.

Our defense, much like the 07 Nebraska defense, couldn't stop a paper sack, and we had potential on offense, and we saw it thrive the next year a little, but the potential was there.

Randy Moss is a Hall of Famer, but our inept COACHING STAFF COULD NOT figure out a way to get them on the field at the same time, to stretch the defense and open up our running game, with the BEST running back in the NFL, and if not the best, definitely #2 in the NFL.

Jared Cook Jr., should have been our starting Tight End/Wide Receiver hybrid, a fast guy for his size and could, again, stretch the defense to open up the running game, but would never see the field because of our INEPT coaching staff, and only saw playing time LATER in the season when the team basically already gave up.

Again, seems like a common trend.

Bo Scaife is not a true NFL tight end and can not block well. Our line should be improved once we get a better Center there, and with Mike Munchak hiring to do things HIS way, the overall offense should be better under a different philosophy, and even stated there would be changes, and this is one of them.

Vince Young was/is/should be our starting quarterback. However, with the new changes, he looks to be on the way out, even though I would keep him for one more year since he only has one year left on his contract and we aren't going to start a rookie.

Our offensive line needs work, I will give you that, but with a change in philosophy, hopefully that shows results as well.

But to say we don't have: WR, RB, TE, QB [Vince Young, but he will probably not be there next year], we need to have a #2 Wide Receiver, as most of our #2's are in reality #3's or 4's.

So I will give you the offensive line and #2 WR we are missing, but if Britt is on the field, it takes more to cover him which can open someone else and the running game.

Stats tell a lot of the story, but they don't tell the whole story when it comes to inept coaching. Just look at our own offense from 2010. Lead the Big XII in rushing but couldn't get it done when it mattered the most, and we all want Watson gone, so that seems to be the trend, it goes back to coaching, because to say we don't have potential on Nebraska's offense is again, laughable. Especially the 2010 offense had a lot of depth.

Back on topic, hopefully the new offensive coordinator installs his philosophy and we see much better and CONSISTENT results in 2011.

I never said they didn’t have a TE or RB. I said QB (Kerry Collins or Vince Young or Chris Simms aren’t the answer) or a legit #1 or #2 WR.

Britt is at best right now a NFL #2 or #3 so I retract the comment about not having a #2 guy. Down the road maybe he could move up in stature but that remains to be scene. If they don’t get a legit QB he may never reach that level though.

Moss throw in the towel on this whole NFL season no matter where he was playing so I can’t blame that one on any coaching staff.

Chris Johnson is a beast and I never once said he wasn’t but this is the NFL and just one top of the line RB doesn’t make an offense.

I’ll let you have the last word so we don’t stray to far from Watson to the NFL. :cheers

Our right side of the line is good, but we have no center nor real left side, but Vince was never given a chance to succeed.

The offense is young, mostly in-experienced, but Young currently and did give us the best chance to win. If he threw an interception, he would be benched, even though he was never given a chance to succeed with Fisher as coach. He is still immature, and being an NFL QB you NEED to be mature and smart, and he improved every year, but Fisher didn't click with him, so I'm glad Fisher is gone, and blowing up the whole thing is probably for the best even though I support Vince. UT sucks though. :hookerhorns

Although Vince is 32-17, and got the team to 8-8 twice after an 0-5 start in 2006 and a 0-6 start in 2009. Titans with Collins was 14-19, with a stretch of 0-6 in 2009 as stated by Fisher before the season as his "Best Team Ever", and that "Kerry gives us the best chance to win" our senile owner had to force VY onto Fisher and the results show. We need to open it up more as we ranked 30th in passing attempts. It's a "pass happy stop the pass" kind of league and you win. Johnson got to 4th in rushing yards in the NFL and that was a "down year" for him. Our passing should have been wide open with such a target on his back, but it goes back to coaching, like most things here at Nebraska too. :cheers

:backtotopic

As mentioned on 1620, Turner Gill got one of those nice little NFL jobs at Green Bay when he failed to get the NU job.

and now he is a head coach at a Division 1 school.

Shawn Watson has a losing record as a head coach.

Colorado was OVERJOYED at seeing him leave.

He was a key cog in the most toxic staff to ever set foot in the Osborne Athletic Complex.

And in the rebuilding effort, his charges have been found consistently wanting.

I hope Bo has significant pull, because coaches, especially new, young, fresh guys, are a dime a dozen. And Shawn Watson has plague written all over him.

Its not taking this long just because contractual agreements are being worked out.

Um, Turner Gill's record as a head coach is 23-39. In terms of head coaching, Watson and Gill's winning percentage is very comparable.

As mentioned on 1620, Turner Gill got one of those nice little NFL jobs at Green Bay when he failed to get the NU job.

He was a key cog in the most toxic staff to ever set foot in the Osborne Athletic Complex.

I hope Bo has significant pull, because coaches, especially new, young, fresh guys, are a dime a dozen. And Shawn Watson has plague written all over him.

Its not taking this long just because contractual agreements are being worked out.

Um, Turner Gill's record as a head coach is 23-39. In terms of head coaching, Watson and Gill's winning percentage is very comparable.

Gills record at buffalo was nothing short of amazing. they were TERRIBLE before he got there. I was talking to someone the other day about my dads coaching record.... the guy was "only" a .500 coach at the college he was at..... but then I pointed out the record of the coaches both before and after he left. you have to get the full picture before you make a judgement about a coach

That's the point. They have POTENTIAL. Just like the Husker offense. POTENTIAL. Due to INEPT COACHING, they sputter, seems to be a familiar trend on this message board when the offense doesn't succeed.

To say Kenny Britt isn't a "legit #1 or #2" receiver is simply, laughable. We don't throw the ball as much as we should/as much as some teams do, which would make the STATS look less than they are, but to say he isn't a #1 is dumb. If he and Moss were on the field at the same time, like they should have been, playing to their potential, it would open up a lot more and we would look a lot better.

We got rid of the BIG problem, Jeff Fisher, who was WAY WAY WAY too conservative on offense to make a difference, and for being a "defensive coach" his defenses were below-average to terrible. He tried to turn Chris Johnson into a power back, coming off of a 2,006 yard season, and running backs rarely have an amazing season coming off of a 2,000 yard season.

Our defense, much like the 07 Nebraska defense, couldn't stop a paper sack, and we had potential on offense, and we saw it thrive the next year a little, but the potential was there.

Randy Moss is a Hall of Famer, but our inept COACHING STAFF COULD NOT figure out a way to get them on the field at the same time, to stretch the defense and open up our running game, with the BEST running back in the NFL, and if not the best, definitely #2 in the NFL.

Jared Cook Jr., should have been our starting Tight End/Wide Receiver hybrid, a fast guy for his size and could, again, stretch the defense to open up the running game, but would never see the field because of our INEPT coaching staff, and only saw playing time LATER in the season when the team basically already gave up.

Again, seems like a common trend.

Bo Scaife is not a true NFL tight end and can not block well. Our line should be improved once we get a better Center there, and with Mike Munchak hiring to do things HIS way, the overall offense should be better under a different philosophy, and even stated there would be changes, and this is one of them.

Vince Young was/is/should be our starting quarterback. However, with the new changes, he looks to be on the way out, even though I would keep him for one more year since he only has one year left on his contract and we aren't going to start a rookie.

Our offensive line needs work, I will give you that, but with a change in philosophy, hopefully that shows results as well.

But to say we don't have: WR, RB, TE, QB [Vince Young, but he will probably not be there next year], we need to have a #2 Wide Receiver, as most of our #2's are in reality #3's or 4's.

So I will give you the offensive line and #2 WR we are missing, but if Britt is on the field, it takes more to cover him which can open someone else and the running game.

Stats tell a lot of the story, but they don't tell the whole story when it comes to inept coaching. Just look at our own offense from 2010. Lead the Big XII in rushing but couldn't get it done when it mattered the most, and we all want Watson gone, so that seems to be the trend, it goes back to coaching, because to say we don't have potential on Nebraska's offense is again, laughable. Especially the 2010 offense had a lot of depth.

Back on topic, hopefully the new offensive coordinator installs his philosophy and we see much better and CONSISTENT results in 2011.

I'm Saying the guy really is an offensive genius. Did that pan out in Nebraska no, but the NFL has more talent and more time to learn. I really think he would excel as a NFL OC. .................and I hate the Titans. sorry :P

Gills record at buffalo was nothing short of amazing. they were TERRIBLE before he got there. I was talking to someone the other day about my dads coaching record.... the guy was "only" a .500 coach at the college he was at..... but then I pointed out the record of the coaches both before and after he left. you have to get the full picture before you make a judgement about a coach

Buffalo was bad when Gill got there but so was Southern Illinois. Gill won two games his first year while Watson won one. In year two, both Gill and Watson won five games. Year three had Gill with eight wins and Watson with five again. Watson didn't have year four but Gill and the Bulls won five games again. The year before Gill got to KU they won five games. He won just three his first year. I'm not saying Gill is a bad head coach, but with just three years Watson did quite a bit with a bad program. It also appears that Gill and KU are quite a ways behind teams like OU, Texas, Okie State, Mizzou, A&M, etc. that they'll be playing every year. I think it might be quite a while before he breaks into the winning record column. Mangino inherited a pretty poor KU team when he took over. While KU was slipping, I think Mangino left it in better shape than he found it. In order for Gill to be deemed a success as a HC, I think they're going to have to move to a different conference. I just don't see them as anything better than middle of the pack in the Big 12.