Watson to NFL

Would have been too hard for Bo to say 'We are going to make some changes to this team. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can comment at this time'?

It's nice he's trying to help the guy out, but it's time to move on.

probably not.

but im beginning to wonder if Bo's hospitality mat isnt having watson's mud wiped on it. Say Bo started down this path, of helping out his assistant to find a new job without the fanfare and publicity knock of being fired. He's on that path. If Watson's inability to find a job or unwillingness to take something that he considers below him has extended this process, I admire Bo by sticking to his path. And Watson can go hug a...

Of course this is all hypothetical.

i fail to see where anyone is setting themselves up for eating crow in this thread, especially relating to disrespecting Bo.

The article is basicially saying what ive been saying all along and why ive had Bos back. It was a generalized statement not necessarily pertaining to guys posting in this thread having to eat crow, more towards all the other Bo sucks threads. He may not handle the media as some want him to but i love it, and its funny watching people cry about it when its not really that big of a deal. And all along he is doing it to help out his fellow coaches, and taking alot of heat for it in the process. Making himself look bad so Watson and Co. can save face.

understood, and agreed.

To start with I agree with the guy with 5000+ posts. Watson was in the college FB club but it looks like the NFL will be a place he can go where he can save face by taking a demotion to go to the big time. I hope he does well, I think that he tried but he did not have the mental flexability needed to coach up kids. He may do better as an XO guy with players who already have the talent. (I think Rick N and UCLA will be the next person taking a walk). Thanaks to Watts for at lest giving it the college try, at least he is a good guy. BTW I think that he is still the NE OC based on what BO said so this must be crazy talk.

Yeah, I could see Watson turning out to be a better fit in the NFL than FBS. Like Bill Callahan. btw, the Jets OC, Brian Schottenheimer, is hanging by a thread. It'd be funny if Watson caught on at the Jets as his old boss' boss.

Callahan's name is being heard for NFL OC jobs again. Though the thought is funny, I don't think Callahan will be playing second fiddle to Watson again unless he really is just happy being a NFL O-Line coach. He is great at it, that is for sure.

but i think some have awful lofty expectations of both what he is capable of, and what others (GM's, head coaches) think of him.

Please enlighten us to what GM’s and other coaches think of him. If you assume because he didn’t land any of the HC jobs that he tried for people in charge think he stinks, I disagree. He was in the final 3 for those spots so they must have thought highly of him. Even if he doesn’t land a job this year that doesn’t really tell us what GM’s and Coaches think about him.

If I’m not mistaken Marvin Sanders hadn’t coached in over a year when Bo came a calling. I don’t think Ron Brown was turning down offers left and right when Bo came a calling. Barney was helping out with his son’s High School team when Bo came a calling not turning down offers.

My point is if Bo didn’t think Watson has what it takes to be a coach he wouldn’t be helping him find the best coaching opportunity possible.

Plenty of good coaches loss their jobs every year. Some of the reason they loss those jobs is because they aren’t the right fit for the job and not because of a lack of coaching knowledge.

The knocking of Watson is tiring and I’m really excited to see what coach becomes the whipping boy after he leaves.

Also for all the baffons on here that think they know about coaching in D-1 or the NFL, I beg you to send in your resume to Bo and see what you hear. You can apply on the University website. Or please tell me at what school or organization you currently coach so I can come and what coaching the way it is supposed to be done.

• Fire 1

Barney was helping out with his son’s High School team when Bo came a calling not turning down offers.

Bad example :P

Watson is, I think, well respected in coaching circles. But it doesn't mean he'll get a job he likes. If I were in his position, I wouldn't take a job just to take one. Might wait however long it takes for the right one to roll along. Didn't we have a board member whose uncle was a college OC, and always thought the criticism was nuts? Small sample size, but better than no sample size. Chip Kelly doesn't go and consult with coaches he doesn't respect, either (I think it was that Watson wrote articles on Red Zone offense or something, and Oregon's coaches came to consult on that).

I’m really excited to see what coach becomes the whipping boy after he leaves.

I'm unsure of this as well, but I think Beck will probably get a pass for a while just because he isn't Watson. Has the fanbase in general really turned on a coach that wasn't tied to Callahan? Cotton gets more support than Watson or Gilmore. When we don't have a Callahan guy to rag on, what then?

Please enlighten us to what GM’s and other coaches think of him. If you assume because he didn’t land any of the HC jobs that he tried for people in charge think he stinks, I disagree. He was in the final 3 for those spots so they must have thought highly of him. Even if he doesn’t land a job this year that doesn’t really tell us what GM’s and Coaches think about him.

If I’m not mistaken Marvin Sanders hadn’t coached in over a year when Bo came a calling. I don’t think Ron Brown was turning down offers left and right when Bo came a calling. Barney was helping out with his son’s High School team when Bo came a calling not turning down offers.

My point is if Bo didn’t think Watson has what it takes to be a coach he wouldn’t be helping him find the best coaching opportunity possible.

Plenty of good coaches loss their jobs every year. Some of the reason they loss those jobs is because they aren’t the right fit for the job and not because of a lack of coaching knowledge.

The knocking of Watson is tiring and I’m really excited to see what coach becomes the whipping boy after he leaves.

Also for all the baffons on here that think they know about coaching in D-1 or the NFL, I beg you to send in your resume to Bo and see what you hear. You can apply on the University website. Or please tell me at what school or organization you currently coach so I can come and what coaching the way it is supposed to be done.

Agree with this very much (aside from the buffoons part - I am a dolt, not a buffoon).

Shawn Watson was never the problem at Nebraska. Bill Callahan and Steve Pederson were. Watson is a position coach, and yes he has flaws (not getting plays in on time, not coaching up his position, not calling a good game sometimes, etc) but even Pelini Christ Superstar calls bad plays, has trouble getting his defensive play calls in, etc. No coach is perfect. Watson isn't, and was never expected to be.

The biggest sin of Shawn Watson at Nebraska is that he didn't properly fit in to our program. That's not a knock against him - tons of coaches wouldn't fit in here. Doesn't mean they're bad coaches or bad guys.

As information flows glacially from the front office, it's becoming more clear that Shawn Watson's career arc at Nebraska went something like this:

Hired by Callahan as a position coach, with upward mobility implied.

Watson progressed to QB/OC coach.

Callahan got fired, and Watson (and Gilly) stayed on to provide that continuity link that Turner provided when Solich was fired.

Watson did his job with varying degrees of success and helped the team transition to Bo in his first year.

That process over, Watson was allowed to begin looking for another gig, which he did.

Watson didn't find a new gig, and was retained for 2010.

The transition project being more than fully complete, Watson is now moving on with Bo's blessing.

Why should Bo not be happy with Watson? To the best of my knowledge, Watson has never been a burr in the saddle during Bo's tenure. I presume they knew the entire time what Watson's role was (continuity bridge), Watson performed that duty admirably (note the unusually low number of transfers after Callahan's departure/Bo's hire), and Bo should, justifiably, feel indebted to Watson.

On the field I have issues with Watson - hence the Dr. Cox running in the streets .gif when it became abundantly clear Watson was leaving. But my angst with Watson ends at the white chalk line. Anywhere else, he seems like a good dude, and I wish him nothing but success.

I'm unsure of this as well, but I think Beck will probably get a pass for a while just because he isn't Watson. Has the fanbase in general really turned on a coach that wasn't tied to Callahan? Cotton gets more support than Watson or Gilmore. When we don't have a Callahan guy to rag on, what then?

I'll probably give Beck a pass for the first year because of the difficulty of the schedule and the fact that he's taking a new position. After that, honeymoon's over. However, during his first year I expect to see:

The offense overall progressing through learning. Mistakes we see in game one should not show up in game seven.

Plays MUST get into the huddle in a timely manner. That starts first series, first game.

His position (QB or RB or whatever he ends up with) must not be mental, have fumble-itis, or appear bewildered in games. Again, first series, first game.

Those are a few very basic things he must do right away, new to the gig or not.

Regarding "Callahan guys".... I think there may have been a couple of posts you missed where Cotton has taken some heat lately. A couple thousand, actually. To imply that Watson and Gilmore are taking flak only because they are Callahan guys is completely untrue. People have been ragging on the positions that had issues this year - QB, WR and O Line.

Bad example

I just included Barney because he is on Bo’s current staff yet was unemployed with no other opportunities that were made public besides the volunteer role he took at his sons High School.

I think there may have been a couple of posts you missed where Cotton has taken some heat lately. A couple thousand, actually.

I do think Barney will now become the full fledge whipping boy and the ones that were so willing to give him a pass and place all the blame on bad playing calling will turn their angst to him. (That is unless we just automatically start dominating teams and turn into the finished product that we have been building towards)

No doubt Cotton has taken a lot of flak lately. It does seem that he is treated a lot differently, though. I mean, there are also people who wonder if Cotton shouldn't be given a shot at co-OC. After all of this.

I will probably give Beck a pass for year 1, too.

newearth, I realize that, just pointing out what a mind-numbing hire that was.

No doubt Cotton has taken a lot of flak lately. It does seem that he is treated a lot differently, though. I mean, there are also people who wonder if Cotton shouldn't be given a shot at co-OC. After all of this.

:huh:

I gotta tell ya, I haven't seen that. I've seen Cotton take a TON of heat over the last two years. And I don't recall the post where someone wanted him as Co-OC, but I'll guarantee that's a tiny minority.

Dear lord. Cotton is the worst coach on offense hands down. Much much much much worse than Watson or Gilmore. But he is good at recruiting (huge asset there) and being an assistant to the head coach. That's why he's got a job. Unfortunately today coaching is so much more than x's and o's. I mean Bill Busch isn't much better than a monkey f'ing a football when it comes to actually developing a kid but he's an ace recruiter. That's kept him employed. Same could be said about Craig Bohl. Couldn't scheme a defense to save his life but is good in the living room, is pretty darn good as a CEO and taking care of the day to day operations. So many of these coaches, GA's etc are making their marks doing stuff other than what we see on Saturday. Hell the strength and conditioning coaches are probably better x's and o's and technique guys in the industry than many position coaches but they haven't developed other skill sets that unfortunately are needed these days.

And I don't mean to say that all position coaches or Cotton are totally clueless when it comes to coaching or they wouldn't be where they are but your either an x and o's genius or a good salesman today to make it (very few are both and we're lucky to have one in JP). . if its obvious you aren't one you're probably the other. Both are important or your team fails.

I guess in a sense its just like the business world. I've got guys that work for me that are very good "get in the dirt" types of guys who can solve any field issue but they couldn't sit with the general public and explain what they even do for the company. On the other side I have guys that can sell the company all day long but couldn't tell you the first thing about putting my product through production. And I've got guys that understand the whole thing but aren't going to be exceptionally strong at both ends of the spectrum. But I need them to be the glue. That's a football team too.