Beck's Offensive style

hskerprid

Watching KU football when Mangino was there was difficult for me. I know that Beck was a part of that staff so I wonder if we will run the no huddle look to the sideline offense. I think that when you have this style you take away some of the fun of watching college football.

Stay with me here, I'm not saying that watching NU football wouldn't still be fun. What I mean is that it takes away from the QB possibly audibling out of a play. We all know that college age QB's make alot of mistakes with reads etc. But that was some of the magic of college football. When I see the QB and the wide outs looking to the sideline for the call it takes something away from the game to me. Maybe I'm nuts to think this way but I think it doesn't allow for a QB to mature.

Most college players aspire to go to the NFL and as a QB you need the necessary development in college to succeed in the pros. I think this takes away from the ability to "free" think and ad-lib. Sometimes watching Kansas it looked like a bunch of automatons out there just running the play except when it broke down and Reesing would make something happen.

Maybe I'm way off base here. What say you?

While I understand your point here, bear in mind that our defense does the same thing.

I have no idea how Beck will go about running his offense, but if it can consistently score points and win big games, I'm all for it, regardless of aesthetics or lack thereof.

I heard from some dude behind me at Wal-Mart that Watson will secretly still be making the calls from his Lazy Boy and phoning them down to Beck, where he will then point to various pictures on a poster-board to signal the players. Some of the images they will use include pictures of: a baby snapping turtle, Speed Racer's car (the Mach V), Prince's upper lip, a fanny pack, Dolly the cloned sheep and a bottle of Shweppes ginger ale.

Watching KU football when Mangino was there was difficult for me. I know that Beck was a part of that staff so I wonder if we will run the no huddle look to the sideline offense. I think that when you have this style you take away some of the fun of watching college football.

Stay with me here, I'm not saying that watching NU football wouldn't still be fun. What I mean is that it takes away from the QB possibly audibling out of a play. We all know that college age QB's make alot of mistakes with reads etc. But that was some of the magic of college football. When I see the QB and the wide outs looking to the sideline for the call it takes something away from the game to me. Maybe I'm nuts to think this way but I think it doesn't allow for a QB to mature.

Most college players aspire to go to the NFL and as a QB you need the necessary development in college to succeed in the pros. I think this takes away from the ability to "free" think and ad-lib. Sometimes watching Kansas it looked like a bunch of automatons out there just running the play except when it broke down and Reesing would make something happen.

Maybe I'm way off base here. What say you?

what this does is it makes the audible for the qb, with a guy like TM, he needs all the help he can get.

I just looked at the numbers from KU's 12-1 team stats for 2007. The Jayhawks ran for 188 yards per game and passed for over 290, however they ran is more times (512 rushes vs 476 passes) than they threw it. Assuming Martinez is going to be the starting quarterback, I simply cannot see Beck trying to duplicate that run/pass ratio.

Beck is simply too smart to try to pound a round peg into a square hole. He's going to take 100% advantage of the talent that is already in place and he's going to come up with an offensive scheme that utilizes that talent to win games.

With the Pelini brothers calling the shots on defense, we don't need to put up 500+ yards to win games. We just need to be able to move the ball consistently and not turn the ball over.

I just looked at the numbers from KU's 12-1 team stats for 2007. The Jayhawks ran for 188 yards per game and passed for over 290, however they ran is more times (512 rushes vs 476 passes) than they threw it. Assuming Martinez is going to be the starting quarterback, I simply cannot see Beck trying to duplicate that run/pass ratio.

Beck is simply too smart to try to pound a round peg into a square hole. He's going to take 100% advantage of the talent that is already in place and he's going to come up with an offensive scheme that utilizes that talent to win games.

With the Pelini brothers calling the shots on defense, we don't need to put up 500+ yards to win games. We just need to be able to move the ball consistently and not turn the ball over.

Sure, but a fair number of those runs were sacks or QB scrambles when no receivers were open. Then there are the short yardage, inside runs to capture a first down. Taking these into account, the KU offense heavily favored the pass. More so than the sheer run/pass ratio would indicate. (I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing. Just an observation.)

Maybe if you're lucky the NCAA will make it illegal to run the no-huddle spread before next season.

Whats your deal?

We pretty much already had this discussion, framed a little bit differently to start with, about your feelings towards no huddle offenses. I was simply referring people back to it for my responses and those of others. Granted, I could have done it without being a jerk; I just had a long day yesterday.

Is this just an assumption or is there some proof to this? Just asking because I can't seem to find any footage of Missouri State the one year he ran the offense and I am starting to wonder how anyone knows what kind of offense Beck will run.

Is this just an assumption or is there some proof to this? Just asking because I can't seem to find any footage of Missouri State the one year he ran the offense and I am starting to wonder how anyone knows what kind of offense Beck will run.

Not saying I can read his mind or anything, I just think the same way. Trying to pound a square peg into a round hole pretty much sums up Shawn Watson's offense. He was stubborn and almost seemed to let his ego get in the way when his gameplan wasn't working. I think I can speak for CornHunka and myself when I say that I hope Beck is not the same way.

There's nothing concrete, obviously; it's just a lot of putting little pieces together. The type of players we're recruiting on offense, specifically dual threat QBs and smaller, faster RBs. An article on Ameer Abdullah last month had an interesting tidbit about Pelini telling AA that Nebraska wants more speed on the field so they can run more of a spread or spread option offense to take advantage of Martinez's skill set. Pelini, when he was first hired as HC, went on the record as saying that he wanted to install an offense similar to Florida's, but with more power running. Also, we saw with our own eyes the shift away from the WCO and towards something that more closely resembles a modern option offense over the past 14 months.

Now, Beck is the new OC and one offensive system that we DO know he has experience in was a spread offense. It all just kind of adds up.