Nebraska vs Texas ..win?

That was THE GREATEST GAME in Nebraska basketball history.

The best way to describe that game is going from a good game, to the best game ever (when we were up 11 points), to the absolute worst game ever (when we lost the 11 point lead in like 20 seconds), to the GREATEST GAME EVER!!!

When I was in school (early 80s), we swamped #1 Mizzou in Columbia when they had Stipanovich and Sundvold. Andre Smith had a monster game with something like 7 blocks against the much taller Stipo. We had taken them to the wire at home earlier in the season but didn't figure to have a chance on the road. My roommate and I thought about driving out to the airport to meet the team coming back, but we had no idea when they were coming. That gets my vote as the biggest win ever, though winning the Big 8 championship in 94 is a contender.

We also beat Wilt Chamberlain's Kansas at home once. They were #4 at the time.

Not trying to take anything away from today's win. Beating a high-ranked team in our final year of the Big 12 is huge. I'm just remembering another huge Husker win from when I went to (nearly) all the home games.

Don't forget the win over Mich.St in the 60's. They were #1 at the time. The no look, back to the rim over the head shot from the free throw line, but I can't remember the players name. He was our answer to Kansas's Jo Jo White at the time.

GBR!!!

There have been a lot of wins that could be considered bigger than this. Johnson's buzzer 3 in 92 against Kansas. Oklahoma St. in Lincoln in 92. Missour in 94 conf. tourney (1st and only big 8 team to beat them that year.) NIT champions after a near losing season. Beating Kansas in Lawrence in 99. A lot come to mind. Only the future direction of the program and time itself will determine the significance of this win. If they go out Wednesday against a very hot kstate team and lay an egg, it means nothing, but if they continue this roll and win 2,3 or maybe even all of the next four, get a win or 2 in the Big Tex tourney, the NCAA comes knocking and all a sudden, this win is pointed to as a springboard and Doc secures his place for a while.

Oh and possibly the worst officiated game ever as well. Whenever there is a shooting foul and the refs count the basket and give Texas back possession instead of shooting a free throw, you know the game was officiated by complete imbecile's.

You're assuming the officiating wasn't tainted with the stank of Beebe.

Considering how we saw the officials help the Texas players up off the floor while leaving the Nebraska ones down multiple times, I think we know where their loyalties lie.

Plus, the "fouls" on Diaz and Beranek towards the end of the game were nothing short of the zebras imposing their will on a game. Diaz was iffy at best (especially considering Texas got away with much worse all game long), and from the replay, I didn't even see Beranek touch the second Whorn player.

All in all, a good win. 8-8 in conference gets us in, especially since we 1) have no bad OOC losses, and 2) our worst loss is to Tech, who upended better teams this year. A win against KSU would allow fans to make reservations, and a loss won't hurt us as long as we go 8-8.

And the thing lost in discussion--this win will give Doc another two years at the helm, easily.

Whats the over under on the time tonight BBall backer will pass out?

:corndance :corndance

Just woke up and stumbled home. Last thing I remember, I was in a room I didn't recognize watching game highlights on a computer I'd never seen before, attempting to sing "There is No Place Like Nebraska" but forgetting the words, and I could see through the window that the sun was still up...

Great game, great crowd. If you haven't done it, I encourage you to read through the first 3 pages of this thread... I got a good laugh out of it, reliving all the emotions.

3 things I took from yesterday that I haven't yet seen mentioned on here:

1. For the last few weeks I've been pleading for B-Rich to get more aggressive. By golly look what happened. There is hope for next year when life-without-Jeter begins.

2. Matt Hill couldn't stop Almeida, scored 0 points, missed a dunk, fouled out, and lost. I couldn't be happier!

3. Mark Boehm said in the new arena students will be on the floor on one side and both baselines. This is fantastic, I wish I woulda had that while I was a student.

For the love of all that is good, please please please, don't waste this. The BOB should be packed Wednesday, no let down, let's get another one. I also implore all of you within driving distance (5 hours or so) to make the trip to Aimes Saturday if NU can win Wednesday. I know people are talking bubble right now, but realistically they need to win out or go 3-4 and pick up a tourney win. Between now and selection Sunday plenty of other Bubble Teams will do enough to edge out NU, they have to finish strong. Get behind this team. Sell it out Wednesday and if they win that one, get a couple thousand to Aimes. Seriously, start talking to your friends and getting groups together... this time next year the games will be too far away to drive to on a whim. And if things keep rolling, all you westerners should get to the CU game. Good things could happen here but there's a long way to go and this team needs all the help it can get.