Cody Glenn

i noticed this in the swift thread, but i think it deserves a topic of its own. I myself was very impressed with Glenn' s performance in the Pitt game, just as I was with Nunn's performances in the punt return game, and I hope to see them more, but I think that the casual fan needs to relax and take a step back. We are not there at every practice, and it is great that the players have stepped up and made some big plays in games, but the only people in a position to make a judgement as far as playing time are the coaches and possibly the players themlselves. I think that Terry Francona said it best, even though I am by no means a Sox fan, he can only count on the players that he TRUSTS in big games, and in college football, every game is a big game. True freshman and untested special teams players need to earn that trust in practice before they can exercise it in the game, and hopefully Glenn and Nunn can earn that distinction, because from what I have seen, they definately have the potential to produce in the game.

you are right on target Stuckin......you can bet Ross earned his start in practice several years ago, i can remember when Ross was a virtual unknown, a back up that saw little time on the field....these young guys need to earn it and they will, if they practice hard and improve, they will get their game time, you don't just show up and play, you have to prove it daily in practice........

hunter

I still dont see why you would pass inside the 5 when you've seen Glenn run over people for that yardage...

It has to be an issue of trust at this point IMO. Someone in another thread mentioned that Glenn seemed to have trouble finding a handle on the ball in warmups.

IMO Glenn will be a valuable asset in the future. I would have liked to see him in there on the first trip into the redzone. However, in OT I feel you have to keep Ross in the game. There's no question in my mind that he's the heart and soul of the team, especially the offense. When its time to punch the friggin ball in the endzone like it was in the first OT, that's when your leader steps into the huddle and tells everyone they're gonna make it happen. If you take Ross out then you lose that voice in the huddle and you lose the inspiration for that single HUGE play. Good call by Callahan by keeping him in the game in OT.

I still dont see why you would pass inside the 5 when you've seen Glenn run over people for that yardage...

That is one of my main concerns with this offense, and one of the biggest reasons why they have not scored much.

Is it because the coaches are more worried about, thus "teach" and practice more pass blockinb, because there is no reason why this line should be worse at run blocking than they were last year.

That is one of my main concerns with this offense, and one of the biggest reasons why they have not scored much.

That's assuming if we run in that situation, we actually get in the endzone.

:yeah If you go back and watch the game, I do believe that NU did try to run the ball in the redzone. They were stopped pretty abruptly.

The first drive ended with three rushes in the redzone: one by Taylor, two by Ross, and then a field goal by Congdon.

The second time in the redzone: incomplete pass to Dane Todd, rush by ross, Taylor rushed pass thrown incomplete

Third time in redzone: Ross rush, Taylor pass incomplete to Mueller, Taylor rush, PENALTY NU delay of game 5 yards

Fourth time in redzone: Taylor pass incomplete to Nunn, Ross rush, Taylor rush and fumble.

I count eight rushes, one broken play rush (was supposed to be a hand-off to Ross), and four passes.

I would say they did rush the ball. Now you can argue that they should have used Glenn, but IMO I would say they wanted to give the ball to their most experience players in important situations.

I think the reason why we pass on the goal line is because

everybody expects us to run the ball.The other team puts 9

guys in the box and we may have 7 blocking those 9.You can say

well just run it and anybody can score.If you look allways at the goal

line there is a big pile of lineman on the ground.That makes 3 linebackers

to have a clean hit on the runner.Not everytime teams run the ball on

short yardage will score or get the first down.We have ran the ball on

4th and short and on the goal line.Some have worked out some haven't.

We have passed on 4th and short and at the goal line.Some have worked

out some haven't.Football is like chess.What move are you going to do

to counter the other teams move.If there is 9 in the box you play action

to the running back and throw it to the tightend in the back of the endzone.

Its who can call the right play at the right time.Running the ball will not always

work.Sometimes you have to mix up the plays.

It has to be an issue of trust at this point IMO. Someone in another thread mentioned that Glenn seemed to have trouble finding a handle on the ball in warmups.

I read that also...BUT...is that for sure...was he at the practices and see that? Or did he read it somewhere else.

Only thing I know about Glenn in practice is that he gets more tired now with more reps and because if you break a run, you have to sprint 50 yards with it. Hmm...He breaks some quite often.

The boy needs to play...Hell...no one said you had to put the game in his hands in OT...but 1st and 2nd quarter...let him run it? Instead of turning it over.

The boy needs to play...Hell...no one said you had to put the game in his hands in OT...but 1st and 2nd quarter...let him run it? Instead of turning it over.

I agree, but we could armchair this thing forever. The guy will get his playing time as a frosh. If he impresses the coaches enough in practice, does well with the carries he has (which he has), etc. he will get some carries.