Massive earthquake and tsunamihits Japan

Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

11 March 2011 Last updated at 04:21 ET Live coverage from BBC News

A massive earthquake has hit the north-east of Japan, triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake.

The quake has sparked fires in several areas including Tokyo, and numerous casualties are feared.

It struck about 250 miles (400km) from the capital at a depth of 20 miles. There have been powerful aftershocks. LINK

Flipping across the channels and saw this. Tragic to watch the tsunami wiping buildings away.

I just talked to my cousins husband via facebook and they seem to be doing ok and I don't think they suffered at all from this quake. They live in Japan but not sure where at, I'll have to find that out later today. Here is what he had to say, kind of funny:

I got my board and waiting by the shore this is gonna be bitch'n man

got a buddy on vacation in honolulu...

also, overheard this morning; "san francisco will be fine...they already had their sh#t packed."

couldnt help but laugh, quietly, into my coffee.

I know this is a terrible, terrible tragedy. But that's a funny remark right there. Ha ha! A coffee spewer it was. :-)

got a buddy on vacation in honolulu...

also, overheard this morning; "san francisco will be fine...they already had their sh#t packed."

couldnt help but laugh, quietly, into my coffee.

I know this is a terrible, terrible tragedy. But that's a funny remark right there. Ha ha! A coffee spewer it was. :-)

One of the first things I read was, "Freaking Godzilla."

I had the same response you did.