Taylor Martinez Needs to be a Stronger Finisher!

Being a past coach of Olyimpic and World Class athletes, I know what injuries do to them, not only physically, but mentally. Some are tougher than others, some are quite weak when they lose their athletic ability, their physical strengths.

Playing hurt, being the center of attention, is different, than a lineman or WR. It is showcased every single play.

I have quit reading negatives about him. The lead indicated it was another of many attacks on a truly unprepared Freshman. The problem was not the QB, it was the coach that stubbornly put him in a no win situations without the training or the preperation for it. He did the best he could do. He maybe a great leader, and it may well surface this year. He may never develop it. But basing a career on one season, that was not good on many sides is not fair.

I think Lee would have done a better job overall. More seasoned, more versed on the play book, more prepared to face the preasure. But he was not selected, all were excited about the Freshman tearing up practice. Flash, quick response, excitement brought to a program that needed it terribly. An error in coaching I feel. He should have been brought in slowly while we had a senior QB in the fold. But the mission of exciting the fan base was accomplished and now it is at the expense of a young man that did the best he could do, what he was capable of doing. Very few Freshman are true leaders.

Just the opposite this year. Taylor is our most experienced player, has walked the walk. He needs the state's support, and reading the things you read, he is not getting it. Questions every post it seems. The kids know what is being said by the fans, and it does matter to them.

I agree with you. But from what I've heard, Zac wasn't an option. His arm wasn't completely healed. It was between Green, and Taylor.

New to the board, but I feel Martinez will respond well this season, for me more consistency. I feel he has taken way too much heat considering he was a frosh. Does he need to mature? Sure, every 19/20 year old has some maturing to do (sports or no sports). I agree that he struggled against top defenses, but Wats failed to put him in situations to succeed.

I'm sick of the cheapshots at our freshman qb too. But this is HuskerBoard and it'll never stop.

bshirt, defenders of Husker quarterbacks from cheap shots and ridiculing the thought of starting redshirt freshmen QBs with no experience since ... well, 2011, I guess.

What is it about Lee that makes him impossible to be beat? He was a lousy qb on a lousy offense last year. Especially after the SunBelt teams.

So if Martinez beats a lousy qb the season is in the toilet?? I would think just the opposite.

Maybe Lee will be great this year. Who knows? But it's not like Green/Martinez have to beat out a Crouch/Frazier/Frost.

bshirt, Taylor's a tough kid who gives his all! I really respect that. He's just not a good enough quarterback.

Sure, it's "possible" he could improve his throwing dramatically this year. *

But I'll believe it when I see it.

And that's what she said :P

May the best man win. I do hope they all make great strides this spring, and all are capable and talented players in different ways. Taylor included.

I did not read the article, I am sick of seeing them.

I remember Cory Ross being carried off the field with turf toe, I might add one of the toughest players we have ever had, not being able to stand on it with out great pain. I see a young freshman, thrown into a starting role, most likely beyond his wildest dreams, working with a lame duck offensive coordinator who did not want him to start, playing great until injured. Both wheels injured and one of the most painfull injuries you could have for a running QB.

We need to get off the kids ass. He did all that was asked of him, and did it better than any freshman at Nebraska has ever done. Damned near every team in America would give their starter to have him on the sidelines. Simply amazing how the greatest fans/sports writers have thrown this kid under the bus.

This type of stuff does the team or the player no good.

I would like to see the writer do his job, and I mean reporting with two seriously injured ankles/toes. You know I bet it would affect his ability to do it. Let alone playing division 1 football in a screwed up offensive system.

Again I am not a Martinez fan, anymore than the others, but it is time to quit beating this poor injured horse, as we may just beat it to death. We need Taylor to be the best he can be. Nothing being said seems to point to the good he did. All American, I wonder if the writer/fans ever performed at that level in their chosen fields.

I'm sick of the cheapshots at our freshman qb too. But this is HuskerBoard and it'll never stop.

Cheapshots? It was an optimistically written article simply breaking down his stats. How is that a cheapshot?

I'm sick of everyone trying to give the excuse that he was injured. He had a leg injury!!!!!!!! Not an arm injury. If his little leg was too hurt for him to play all he had to do was say "Coach, I don't think I can do this again, for the 4th time." ...instead of ruining every husker fan's day. Injuries are part of the game. Yea, your gonna get hurt. That's no excuse for what you do when you're on the field with a game on the line. "He's just a freshman!" (most of you have said) ....uhhh yea. No one is on here saying "Taylor Martinez SUCKS and DOESN'T deserve to be our starter!" Most of what I have heard is people hoping he makes the certain proper adjustments to be a better player.

Get your panties out of a wad. Were rooting for the same team here. Geez Louise.

personally, i think the kid under-estimated the toughness needed to play college ball.

things came way too easy for him early on, then when big, rangy defensive guys showed up, he got throttled.....welcome to D-1 ball, son.

I think it's safe to say Virgin Mobile had his cherry popped! :lol:

I seem to remember a healthy Marinez just eating up the Oklahoma State team, set freshman records and had more passing yards that Weeden. Rushed for 112 yards that day I think, then the Missouri game, injured. His results failed and dropped from that moment forward. I am sure he just was not good enough and it finally started to show. I also remember a world class defense that gave up 41 points that day, thank god we had that useless freshman to save the day.

I doubt any here are graded as tough at work as we seem to grade this kid.

Again, injuries affect people differenty. Anyone remember Herian? Some are never the same after an injury. Taylor performed with two major injuries. He gutted it out because he knew there was no one else to do the job. We should be proud of his efforts. Simply amazing.

bshirt, defenders of Husker quarterbacks from cheap shots and ridiculing the thought of starting redshirt freshmen QBs with no experience since ... well, 2011, I guess.

What is it about Lee that makes him impossible to be beat? He was a lousy qb on a lousy offense last year. Especially after the SunBelt teams.

So if Martinez beats a lousy qb the season is in the toilet?? I would think just the opposite.

Maybe Lee will be great this year. Who knows? But it's not like Green/Martinez have to beat out a Crouch/Frazier/Frost.

bshirt, Taylor's a tough kid who gives his all! I really respect that. He's just not a good enough quarterback.

Sure, it's "possible" he could improve his throwing dramatically this year. *

But I'll believe it when I see it.

And that's what she said :P

May the best man win. I do hope they all make great strides this spring, and all are capable and talented players in different ways. Taylor included.

Oh zoogies, you're taking deep, deep cheapshots at me. Just for that, no more free PBRs for you this fall!!

Tmart accomplished before injury 10,000 times more than Z. Lee did in 2009 (even with a much weaker schedule). But besides that, it's the character assassination attacks on Tmart that I'm referring to. Lee was a lousy qb in 09, Tmart was great in 2010 until injury. I still stand behind that.

As I told jlier before, sure I've dissed Z. Lee's lack of talent many times but I've "never" dissed his character. That's the big difference.

a couple issues remain that hurt TM and his performance. the kid never seemed engaged on the sidelines. OK, many will say no big deal, but the fact remains he stood off by himself and didn't seem engaged in game planning or seldom if ever did you see him on the phone or headset talking with Wats upstairs....does that matter?? in mind, it damn sure does. it tells me that he was un-coachable, when things were not working, or Wats had no clue what to call except the same pitiful zone read that was being stopped over and over, mainly because TM was making the wrong read, eating the ball and losing yardage.

sure his play diminished after he was hurt, but he was so gimpy, Wats should have never left him in the game, a guy who runs a zone read and can't run is like asking a one legged man to compete in the 100 yard dash......just stupid. if he was going to throw 70% of the time, yes, maybe let him play, but even then, the D was going to come after him...i dunno, the whole scenario, sideline distractions, poor coaching, sacks, fumbles, it all flashs back as poor preparation and except against poor opponents, clearly, this kid was not ready to play against the competition.....on top of that, i still say his leadership is definitely in question...not to beat the horse, but as good as he was, there are still a ton of questions regarding TM and his ability to play well against good teams.

i am not convinced that qb is his natural position, you have to do a helluva lot more than run to be an effective qb.....rant over.

I seem to remember a healthy Marinez just eating up the Oklahoma State team, set freshman records and had more passing yards that Weeden. Rushed for 112 yards that day I think, then the Missouri game, injured. His results failed and dropped from that moment forward. I am sure he just was not good enough and it finally started to show. I also remember a world class defense that gave up 41 points that day, thank god we had that useless freshman to save the day.

I doubt any here are graded as tough at work as we seem to grade this kid.

Again, injuries affect people differenty. Anyone remember Herian? Some are never the same after an injury. Taylor performed with two major injuries. He gutted it out because he knew there was no one else to do the job. We should be proud of his efforts. Simply amazing.

okie lite had a pitiful defense.....pitiful.

And yet.... We scored more points against them than anyone else did.

Taylor had the BEST season ever as a freshman QB at Nebraska. Better than Frazier and Crouch. Yet, he played against tougher competition and on a weaker team. They beat 2 top 11 teams, one on the road, and we hadn't beaten even one in a decade. He set a freshman single game passing record for TD's and yards, and a QB rushing record. And he did it with an OC who didn't want him as the starter, and didn't like the offense.

Some of you people are ridiculous.

• Fire 1