This "new" offense?

New here, not sure how to add someones comments.

I think that we are going to run the option alot. Look at the videos from spring practice so far. First you have the option ran from under center in the I. Later in the video you have Beck teaching the reverse pivot to the QBs. Very much part of a I formation option series. Second, another video shows the QBs practicing foot work for the option pass. …..Give me a minute I just got misty. All from the under center. I don’t know about you guys but if I were building a new house I would start at the foundation not the roof. This is not an add on thing as previously suggested. Also we are running Zone Read from the Pistol. Now I wont have to change to Nevada’s offense anymore on NCAA!

Oklahoma ran the Diamond formation against us in the Big 12 title game a few times, didn't really work as well as the commentators made it seem.

Its one thing when you try it out against one of the best defenses in the nation after running it for 2 weeks....however when they played Oklahoma State it seems to work really well, they never ran it prior to the OSU game.

It was effective alittle bit against Okie Light. Didnt really think it was the few times they ran in the CCG. It will be interseting to see if Nebraska maybe inserts a few of those diamond plays in the playbook.

that would be a good way to get t-mart, rex, green, and heard all 3 in the backfield at once! defenses wouldn't have a clue where the ball was going!

Yes their is alot different ways to get the ball to your playmakers with that formation. Up the gut, option, reverse(s), Power G.... hell I think one of Ou's long pass plays was out of this formation.

New here, not sure how to add someones comments.

I think that we are going to run the option alot. Look at the videos from spring practice so far. First you have the option ran from under center in the I. Later in the video you have Beck teaching the reverse pivot to the QBs. Very much part of a I formation option series. Second, another video shows the QBs practicing foot work for the option pass. …..Give me a minute I just got misty. All from the under center. I don’t know about you guys but if I were building a new house I would start at the foundation not the roof. This is not an add on thing as previously suggested. Also we are running Zone Read from the Pistol. Now I wont have to change to Nevada’s offense anymore on NCAA!

Having watched a practice. One could say those videos are deceiving.

A team has to be extremely disciplined and well-coached to pull off an offense like Oregon or Auburn has. In my opinion, I think Oregon was more well-coached than Auburn last year on the offensive side of the ball. Oregon's offense could seemingly plug-and-chug with great success, even at the quarterback position.

Could we run this at Nebraska? Sure. Technically speaking, we could go back and run the wishbone if we wanted.

The better question is - should we? You need a lot of focus and discipline to run those offenses, something that has been missing from the offense for several years at Nebraska.

Bingo. Oregon had some many weapons at the RB, QB, WR spots that it was hard to pin-point where the ball was going to go. While, Auburn really only had one true threat on offense the whole season, Cam.

Signed Michael Dyer and his 1093 yards, 6 YPC and 143 yards in the NCG, and Onterio McCalebb's 810 yards with 8.5 YPC and their combined 15 TDS.

Not to mention their under-rated receivers

Signed LaMichael James and his 1,731 yards, 6.0 ypc, and 21 touchdowns and Kenjon Barner 551 yards, 6.1 ypc, and 5 touchdowns. Jeff Maehl with 77 receptions for 1,076 yards and 12 touchdowns.

A team has to be extremely disciplined and well-coached to pull off an offense like Oregon or Auburn has. In my opinion, I think Oregon was more well-coached than Auburn last year on the offensive side of the ball. Oregon's offense could seemingly plug-and-chug with great success, even at the quarterback position.

Could we run this at Nebraska? Sure. Technically speaking, we could go back and run the wishbone if we wanted.

The better question is - should we? You need a lot of focus and discipline to run those offenses, something that has been missing from the offense for several years at Nebraska.

Bingo. Oregon had some many weapons at the RB, QB, WR spots that it was hard to pin-point where the ball was going to go. While, Auburn really only had one true threat on offense the whole season, Cam.

Auburn or Oregon? Who has the higher pay-roll? Go.

Good Question EZ! Oregon because of Phil Knight.

sorry guys, cart way before the horse here, we have nowhere near the athletes, experience or system in place that an Oregon or Auburn has..we are busy building a foundation, just getting started, but i understand how much fun it is to compare great offenses...we're are trying to move from poor to acceptable.....exceptional is wayyyyyyy down the road.

• Fire 1

sorry guys, cart way before the horse here, we have nowhere near the athletes, experience or system in place that an Oregon or Auburn has..we are busy building a foundation, just getting started, but i understand how much fun it is to compare great offenses...we're are trying to move from poor to acceptable.....exceptional is wayyyyyyy down the road.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Last year we had Taylor Martinez, who is more athletic than Darron Thomas. We had Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie and Mike McNeill, who formed a more talented starting rotation for our receivers than Oregon had, we had Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead, neither of whom are LaMichael James, but they are both very, very solid. Helu was the best running back we've had since Buckhalter.

What we saw last year was exceptional talent squandered away by coaching. In 2011, we won't be as talented, but it appears we should have better coaching, and a more cohesive scheme, and we should have better depth at QB. Nobody here thinks that our 2011 offense is going to be like 2010 Oregon and Auburn, but there is reason to think our offense might look somewhat similar to those in terms of scheme.

???

Begs to seriously differ. Oregon and Auburn are nowhere near the top of the "athletes, experience, and system" heap. In fact, I submit that there aren't any programs in the country that out "athlete" Nebraska at this point.

Texas doesn't. Oklahoma doesn't. Nobody in the Big 10 matches the type of talent those two programs get every year, including OSU.

After the previous 4 year debacle, how has this "talent" turnaround happened so quickly?

3 years ago the "athletes" on the offense took a hit simply because Bo took the pick of the litter with which to build his defense 1st and foremost, because a great D will keep you in every single game, but a poor D will demonstrate your football team is a joke.

Now that the D has been restored, the incoming talent can be more evenly split between the O and D...just look at the current roster.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the type of players that Pelini has recruited are disciplined and "high character" in nature, this on top of the annually improving speed and raw talent level...Bo is targeting the specific type of athletes he needs to execute "his system", rather than trying to make it work with Billy C's hand-me-downs, both in the booth and on the field.

Now couple that with the coaching improvements.

Unified culture. No wasted effort. Team-wide efficiency. Maximize on the field impact. These are T.O.'s principles.

Auburn is a flash in the pan that literally bought success, and it appears Oregon is attempting to drink from that same cup. Pelini's defensive principles as demonstrated in the Big 12 the past 3 years hamstring that type of offense, and any number of offensive coordinators worth a damn would have placed Nebraska in a BCS game last year, if not the MNC game, even with the injuries.

Aside: Seriously, who looks at T.Martinez's skill set and doesn't see every single item required for a devastating option quarterback, at his best when operating on the edge. Who the hell would drop him back in the pocket and have him stop moving? EVER? Watson couldn't have done a worse job last year calling plays and designing the offense to work with the talent he actually had. See: Billy C.

Give me a break with the "oregon" and "auburn" ballyhooing. They aren't anything to wish for.

I submit that the Big 10 will be a Nebraska stomping ground for the next 4-5 years strictly based on the fact that there is no team in the conference equipped to leverage Pelini's D in any meaningful way. Pelini's defense will do to the Big 10 what Mike Leach's offense did to the Big 12. It will take the conference at least 2 years to catch up, and by that time the NU offense will be in full stride with a senior Taylor Martinez and a backlog of team speed that nobody in the conference currently matches up with.

I've got a quote for you.

Nebraska again has top-flight athletes on both sides of the ball, returns a very experienced and potentially all-time-great defense, and is rolling out, finally, an offense that takes advantage of the speed and skill of the players that Bo has been assembling for the last 3 years. We have built on a foundation of dominating defense and are getting ready to expose the Big 10 conference as a whole, essentially a collection of football programs that appear to be stuck in the 1950's.

The B1G is not stuck in the 50's.

One could contend that teams like Michigan State with their traditional sets and Wisconsin's power game undermine any sense of offensive 'progress' demonstrated by the changing college football landscape.

However,

Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Penn State and Ohio State have all ran some if not total spread.

Hell, there are some games where the Hoosiers think it's a penalty to run the ball at all, and Purdue and Northwestern have been spread teams since the late 90's. The Purdue spread produced Drew Brees, Ohio State utilizes Pryor's mobility quite a bit, and while Michigan might be in transition, you can bet their jitterbug QB will be taking snaps out of the gun in some form or fashion.

Illinois took their spread all the way to the Rose Bowl in '07 with Juice Williams, Rashard Mendenhall and Aurelious Benn while we were struggling to score against mediocre Okie State and aTm defenses.

Dan Persa is a sniper when he's healthy.

If you think we're going to shut everyone down, you have another thing coming. It will be as challenging if not moreso in our new conference digs, so the boys in red better buckle down.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Last year we had Taylor Martinez, who is more athletic than Darron Thomas. We had Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie and Mike McNeill, who formed a more talented starting rotation for our receivers than Oregon had, we had Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead, neither of whom are LaMichael James, but they are both very, very solid. Helu was the best running back we've had since Buckhalter.

What we saw last year was exceptional talent squandered away by coaching. In 2011, we won't be as talented, but it appears we should have better coaching, and a more cohesive scheme, and we should have better depth at QB. Nobody here thinks that our 2011 offense is going to be like 2010 Oregon and Auburn, but there is reason to think our offense might look somewhat similar to those in terms of scheme.

scheme, of course, no argument there....but other than Burkehead and TM's feet, that is all we have with any real experience or success on offense, coupled with a new scheme and a bunch of new coaches...all i am saying is this is going to be a huge transition.....huge, Vegas odds of making a high impact, first year, are long....improvement of offense will be stop and go...just reality of new scheme,new coaches and new players, especially on offense...and spin as you must, but Auburn won the SEC and went undefeated....that is absolutely huge! we couldn't even beat a PP Texas team...and we lost some damn good players too.

The B1G is not stuck in the 50's.

Yes they are.

Michigan State looked real advanced getting schlocked by Alabama. So did Penn St.

And Oh Boy did Wisconsin look dynamic against an undersized speedy TCU with 1/4 the talent NU has. And barely squeaking by ASU at home.

Northwestern Indiana Illinois Iowa blah blah = road kill.

OSU won't score a point in Lincoln. Penn State is stuck in the 50's because their head coach is. I don't think he's even changed his hairstyle since 1950.

Just remember who said what about NU vs. the big slow ten, chicken littles.

scheme, of course, no argument there....but other than Burkehead and TM's feet, that is all we have with any real experience or success on offense, coupled with a new scheme and a bunch of new coaches...all i am saying is this is going to be a huge transition.....huge, Vegas odds of making a high impact, first year, are long....improvement of offense will be stop and go...just reality of new scheme,new coaches and new players, especially on offense...and spin as you must, but Auburn won the SEC and went undefeated....that is absolutely huge! we couldn't even beat a PP Texas team...and we lost some damn good players too.

Who in the state of Nebraska cares what auburn does with their cheating,lying ways and their dirty players? cheap shot artist fairly and big money netwon? last i checked we didn't join the SEC, we joined the big slow ten. We couldn't beat whoever we lost to because.....

News Flash: NU had no offense due to poor coaching on that side of the ball Only. Yes this is a repeat from the previous year.

Guess what: Problem mitigated. Deficiencies addressed. Situation improving and stable.

React.

Thank You!!!!!! Im glad somebody else on here has their head on straight about the expectations about this offense.

+1 to sir!!!!!