No UNL Hockey

Husker Extra

The Big Ten announced Monday its intention to form a six-team hockey league in 2013-14.

Don't look for Nebraska to be part of it, athletic director Tom Osborne said Tuesday morning.

He said he doesn't envision the Huskers adding hockey in the foreseeable future, in part because of Title IX challenges. "I don't really see where right now we could very well add a men's sport without adding a women's sport and maybe two," Osborne said. "That does make the issue, from a fiscal standpoint, more difficult."

Big Ten hockey apparently would include Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State. The Nittany Lions will play their inaugural season in 2012-13 as an independent.

Old Tom sounds a bit like he doesn't like hockey.

More at Bigten.org

I suppose the drive to Maverick games is significantly shorter. And I do have friend's houses to crash at that are only a small taxi fare away...

Sound more like to me he doesn't want to take on two guaranteed non-revenue producing women sports to add one possible revenue producer.

BUT COLLEGIATE ATHLETICS AREN'T ABOUT REVENUE!!!! I want to see UNL hockey, I want to see UNL water polo. I want to see bocce ball, frisbee golf and hacky sack teams at UNL.

Nah, just kidding.

Title IX is so outdated. It was instituted as a means to get women into college when the vast majority of college students were male. Now 60% of college students are women.

Either that or invent some revenue 'sports' for female scholarships. But somehow I don't see 'pole dancing' becoming an addition, though I'm sure it would be a money maker...

• Fire 1

Title IX is so outdated. It was instituted as a means to get women into college when the vast majority of college students were male. Now 60% of college students are women.

Either that or invent some revenue 'sports' for female scholarships. But somehow I don't see 'pole dancing' becoming an addition, though I'm sure it would be a money maker...

Actually, there's been discussion of women's collegiate football as a way to work around Title IX. It was a while back, but Nebraska was one of the names mentioned in the article I read as exploring that option.

The thought behind this is that women's football helps nullify the large glut of men's football scholarships. And since we Americans love football, the hope is that women's collegiate football may eventually break even.

Not saying it will happen any time soon at any school, let alone DONU, but it has been discussed within the past year or so as a way to work around Title IX.

We do have women's gymnastics, and they actually won the Big XII Championship and are in the NCAA Regionals. Think they compete this weekend.

But if women's gymnastics doesn't draw the crowds, I don't think women's pole dancing would do it, either. Just sayin'. :)

I think Osborne knows that making a move into hockey now would be a huge mistake. UNO (University of Nebraska Omaha, meaning part of the Nebraska chain) just dropped its football and wrestling programs to become a division 1 school and more importantly, increased promotion for UNO hockey. (the only current Div 1 sport at UNO).

If the skers announce a Div 1 hockey team the the Omaha boosters would likely cry wolf.

as for title IX... its absolutely needed but absolutely shouldn't include "all" of the football scholarships. Instead it should be a percentage per required starters. (10% per starting numbers equaling 2.2 scholarships per student year. Include redshirt years that equates to 2.2 x 5 = 11 scholarships annually.)

why is it needed? equality and a chance for females to be given equal chances of success.

Personal issue with title IX is overall scholarships (both academic and athletic) aren't equated. I'd like the ncaa to enforce equality in both and adjust accordingly. If year one there are 100 academic scholarships offered and 60% are given to females, then allow said university to adjust the athletic scholarships to equal out the overall scholarship gender gap. Couple interesting links below.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-10-19-male-college-cover_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-02-09-whyboysfail09_ST_N.htm

This may be the best post I've seen in my year or two on HB. Not because of the sexism or anything like that, but because it is so blatantly true.

Given an equal chance at success?

You mean that they are learning that they will be supported by economically unviable businesses because of their gender? And that they will have to rely on others to to generate the income that is needed to support them?

And speaking of equal chances, higher education still is a privilege, not a right. Isn't it?

• Fire 2

We do have women's gymnastics, and they actually won the Big XII Championship and are in the NCAA Regionals. Think they compete this weekend.

But if women's gymnastics doesn't draw the crowds, I don't think women's pole dancing would do it, either. Just sayin'. :)

Women's gymnastics won't draw a crowd, but "Real" pole dancing would draw large crowds, specifically the male crowd who would be ready to throw some money around too. "True Pole Dancing" would easily be a money maker!!