Oklahoma State Series

Curious if others will post what their projected outcome will be.

Here is mine:

Game 1 Friday, we lose.. (loss will come via Hauptman in the 8th) OSU 5, SKERS 2

Game 2 Saturday Lemke starts and we lose.. not even close, (we win if Keller starts) OSU 8, SKERS 1 (OSU 3, SKERS 5 if Keller Starts)

Game 3 Sunday, we win.. (if Voyt gets the rock to start)

Lemke's confidence in his arm hasn't returned and should be the midweek starter to develop confidence. (BTW, another example of a screwed up coaching decision we witnessed at Tech last weekend.) Lemke will be a stud again but will take time.

Don't have to worry about Casey losing this thing in the 8th, or Lemke starting game two. Freeman gets absolutely sh#t rocked in the second inning. Pokies put up 8 runs on 9 hits in the frame. Pokies have given out four souveniers as well. Lemke is is on relief.

8 to nil pokies, Huskers to bat in the bottom of the second

But of course this is all Mike Anderson's fault. Because he called too many breaking pitches.

Don't have to worry about Casey losing this thing in the 8th, or Lemke starting game two. Freeman gets absolutely sh#t rocked in the second inning. Pokies put up 8 runs on 9 hits in the frame. Pokies have given out four souveniers as well. Lemke is is on relief.

But of course this is all Mike Anderson's fault. Because he called too many breaking pitches.

It's Anderson's fault because the talent is not there. How can you not like Doc but like Anderson????????

It's Anderson's fault because the talent is not there. How can you not like Doc but like Anderson????????

You're probably one of those who wanted Callahan fired. Well, Callahan and Cosgrove couldn't go out there and make the tackles for their players, it's not their fault! :wasted:wacko:

Anderwatson has had fans (me in past years included) making excuse after excuse for him. Finally, this season, the competitive games against UCLA and Fresno State along with the unexpected talent of the bullpen and fans are beginning to see that the issues the program is experiencing is more on Anderson and less on the athletes.

Did Anderwatson call the pitches? No! He does however call the offense and again, lets have a look shall we?

Bottom of 2 (we just gave up 8 runs, inning begins for us with a run scored and a double with no outs, things look good)

Kalk is HBP, Farmer Doubles, Kalk scores .... still no outs

Christensen grounds out, Farmer advances (acceptable) 1 out

Sheppard strikes out swinging (unacceptable) (again, where was the short swing, get the ball in play and Farmer scores)

Cooper walks,

Burleson strikes out swinging (acceptable) (still no short swing, fences or bust)

Bottom of the 4th:

Another 3rd out, 3rd strike looking

Bottom of the 6th:

Farmer doubles, Christiansen singles scoring Farmer - No Outs

Christiansen advances to 2nd on a dropped 3rd strike - 1 out

Next to batters fail to hit.

Bottom of the 7th:

Lead off runner reaches,

No small ball attempts, next three batters fail to advance the runner

Bottom of the 8th:

Again the lead off reaches

Again, no small ball.. next three batters fail to advance the runner

Bottom of the 9th:

Lead Off Homer

Next Batter reaches - no outs, advances to 2nd on pass ball - still no outs

Out 1, batter strikes out looking, runner advances to 3rd - 1 out

next two batters fail to advance the runner.

Quick tally:

Final Score 12 - 7

In innings 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9 the skers have a runner in scoring position with 1 out and we come away empty.

Add in that innings 2 and 9, we had runners at 2nd with no outs.

and...

in all 5 innings, we had a runner at 3rd with 1 out.

We lose by 5 and we ask why? Hmm... it could be focus but... not likely and even if one blames it on a lack of focus then I ask, is it not the coaches job to ensure the athletes are mentally ready? Also, again I ask, where is the small ball. (twice, innings 7 and 8 lead off runners reach and no attempt to advance them? scratching my head)

and finally...

Yes, Erstad can be partially blamed but... again, why are the hitters not choking up and putting the ball in play? Might it be that Anderson felt the wind was his only opportunity so he continued to give the green light? I'm not privy to the base calls but... I can't help but wonder about it?

Anderwatson has had fans (me in past years included) making excuse after excuse for him. Finally, this season, the competitive games against UCLA and Fresno State along with the unexpected talent of the bullpen and fans are beginning to see that the issues the program is experiencing is more on Anderson and less on the athletes.

Did Anderwatson call the pitches? No! He does however call the offense and again, lets have a look shall we?

Bottom of 2 (we just gave up 8 runs, inning begins for us with a run scored and a double with no outs, things look good)

Sheppard strikes out swinging (unacceptable) (again, where was the short swing, get the ball in play and Farmer scores)

Cooper walks,

Burleson strikes out swinging (acceptable) (still no short swing, fences or bust)

Bottom of the 4th:

Bottom of the 6th:

Bottom of the 7th:

Lead off runner reaches,

Bottom of the 8th:

Bottom of the 9th:

Lead Off Homer

Quick tally:

Final Score 12 - 7

In innings 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9 the skers have a runner in scoring position with 1 out and we come away empty.

and...

We lose by 5 and we ask why? Hmm... it could be focus but... not likely and even if one blames it on a lack of focus then I ask, is it not the coaches job to ensure the athletes are mentally ready? Also, again I ask, where is the small ball. (twice, innings 7 and 8 lead off runners reach and no attempt to advance them? scratching my head)

and finally...

Yes, Erstad can be partially blamed but... again, why are the hitters not choking up and putting the ball in play? Might it be that Anderson felt the wind was his only opportunity so he continued to give the green light? I'm not privy to the base calls but... I can't help but wonder about it?

HuskerHacker, I know why you want to always talk about firing coaches rather than baseball, it's because you don't know baseball!!!

Cooper walks,

First of all, why is it alright for Burleson to swing and miss and not Scheffert? Secondly, choking up with 2 strikes is passe'. Some out there still teach that approach, but not many...Erstad is one of the "not many". By the way, if choking up was so effective, why wouldn't hitters do it all the time? IMO, hitting with 2 strikes is a mental approach, not physical. Are there runners on base? What is the score? What inning? What type of pitcher am I facing? Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap to the pitcher. However, since this is still a debatable subject, I will admit your opinion is valid...but not valid concerning Scheffert and Burleson.

Bottom of the 8th:

Your comment above is NOT debatable. When you are down by 5 runs in the 7th, 8th (late in the game) YOU DON'T PLAY SMALL BALL (1 OR 2 RUN INNINGS). You don't risk outs by stealing! You don't give away outs by sac. bunting! Your goal is base runners....the more the better. Once we fell behind 8-0, small ball was not an option.

My last comment has to do with the entire tone of you post. You decide to pick on our offense in a game where we scored 7 runs. 6 of those runs were against the starter who came into the game with a 1.05 era (there's a stat for ya). Starter had given up only 3 earned runs all year. Last night he gave up twice that many in less than 9 innings pitched. When you score 7 runs on a teams Friday night pitcher and lose, hitting/offense wasn't your problem. What is really interesting to me, is that last Sunday you were all over our pitching and pitching coach for giving up 3 runs on Sunday. Didn't focus on the fact that we scored "0" runs, you were more worried about first pitch fastballs

Defense: C+ (we continue to make defense mistakes (errors) and its cost us. In last nights game a defensive hesitation in the first inning led to 3 runs scored. Continue this and our Big 12 success will be at or near the bottom of the conference. On the other hand, our fielding % is up from a year ago.)

Here's another stat for you, NU is tied with A&M for fewest unearned runs allowed (in Big 12). Don't think defense is an issue like you graded it. We are as good or better in every area this year than in last couple of years. Significant upgrade at first and catcher....that was my last comment.

• Fire 1

Cooper walks,

Bottom of the 4th:

Bottom of the 6th:

Bottom of the 7th:

Lead off runner reaches,

Bottom of the 8th:

Bottom of the 9th:

Lead Off Homer

Quick tally:

Final Score 12 - 7

and...

and finally...

HuskerHacker, I know why you want to always talk about firing coaches rather than baseball, it's because you don't know baseball!!!

Cooper walks,

First of all, why is it alright for Burleson to swing and miss and not Scheffert? Secondly, choking up with 2 strikes is passe'. Some out there still teach that approach, but not many...Erstad is one of the "not many". By the way, if choking up was so effective, why wouldn't hitters do it all the time? IMO, hitting with 2 strikes is a mental approach, not physical. Are there runners on base? What is the score? What inning? What type of pitcher am I facing? Sometimes, you just have to tip your cap to the pitcher. However, since this is still a debatable subject, I will admit your opinion is valid...but not valid concerning Scheffert and Burleson.

Bottom of the 8th:

Your comment above is NOT debatable. When you are down by 5 runs in the 7th, 8th (late in the game) YOU DON'T PLAY SMALL BALL (1 OR 2 RUN INNINGS). You don't risk outs by stealing! You don't give away outs by sac. bunting! Your goal is base runners....the more the better. Once we fell behind 8-0, small ball was not an option.

My last comment has to do with the entire tone of you post. You decide to pick on our offense in a game where we scored 7 runs. 6 of those runs were against the starter who came into the game with a 1.05 era (there's a stat for ya). Starter had given up only 3 earned runs all year. Last night he gave up twice that many in less than 9 innings pitched. When you score 7 runs on a teams Friday night pitcher and lose, hitting/offense wasn't your problem. What is really interesting to me, is that last Sunday you were all over our pitching and pitching coach for giving up 3 runs on Sunday. Didn't focus on the fact that we scored "0" runs, you were more worried about first pitch fastballs

Defense: C+ (we continue to make defense mistakes (errors) and its cost us. In last nights game a defensive hesitation in the first inning led to 3 runs scored. Continue this and our Big 12 success will be at or near the bottom of the conference. On the other hand, our fielding % is up from a year ago.)

Here's another stat for you, NU is tied with A&M for fewest unearned runs allowed (in Big 12). Don't think defense is an issue like you graded it. We are as good or better in every area this year than in last couple of years. Significant upgrade at first and catcher....that was my last comment.

:clap Bravo, well said. I am still trying to find out how it is Mike Anderson's fault for striking out. Cause he is in the batters box up there. Hacker, your passion is good, but your constant "the sky is falling, because of Mike Anderson" approach is tiresome. This calling the offense excuse is poor, because you know hitting a baseball is the easiest thing to do. Hitters are never fooled or just straight overmatched.

@ Turn2 > small ball in the second could (and should) have extended the inning. Get two more runs there and the starter is likely chased sooner. Game is closer and walla.. your argument is nullified.

Why was Burle's swing acceptable (because he's riding a hot bat... wake up and smell the roses dude)

Comment regarding the 7th and 8th innings... had we played small ball in the 2nd and scored 2 or three runs, small ball in the 7th and 8th would have been available. As it happened though, you are correct, Anderwatson's decisions in the earlier innings eliminated this play from the book.

As for the 1.07 era comment, hmm... seems our pitcher had a better era. the difference was, one team knows how to win, the other team seemingly doesn't.

and lastly, we should be tied for the top in runs allowed, our RPI is nearly dead last in the conference while A&M leads the conference in RPI. I ask you Turn2, how much do you really know about baseball because you constantly seem to insert your foot.

@Crewe > Seems Van Horn won using small ball from his first season here and the husker fan base love it. Why can't Anderwatson do the same? As for the calling the offense, its much like football. Watson wanted to be multiple and not have an identity. He was fired. Anderwatson seems to have the same philosophy.. we hit when we want to hit, we bunt when we want to bunt, we score when we want to score.. problem is, we continue to lose and can't compete with post season teams.

@ Turn2 > small ball in the second could (and should) have extended the inning. Get two more runs there and the starter is likely chased sooner. Game is closer and walla.. your argument is nullified.

Why was Burle's swing acceptable (because he's riding a hot bat... wake up and smell the roses dude)

Comment regarding the 7th and 8th innings... had we played small ball in the 2nd and scored 2 or three runs, small ball in the 7th and 8th would have been available. As it happened though, you are correct, Anderwatson's decisions in the earlier innings eliminated this play from the book.

As for the 1.07 era comment, hmm... seems our pitcher had a better era. the difference was, one team knows how to win, the other team seemingly doesn't.

and lastly, we should be tied for the top in runs allowed, our RPI is nearly dead last in the conference while A&M leads the conference in RPI. I ask you Turn2, how much do you really know about baseball because you constantly seem to insert your foot.

@Crewe > Seems Van Horn won using small ball from his first season here and the husker fan base love it. Why can't Anderwatson do the same? As for the calling the offense, its much like football. Watson wanted to be multiple and not have an identity. He was fired. Anderwatson seems to have the same philosophy.. we hit when we want to hit, we bunt when we want to bunt, we score when we want to score.. problem is, we continue to lose and can't compete with post season teams.

How is Burly riding a hot bat? Second inning, inning you are referencing, he hadn't hit yet and was hitting about .250 on the season with no hitting streak. Be my guest and ask some baseball guys if they would play small ball in the bottom of second down 8-0. Won't find any...that includes me. By the way please recreate for me your idea (how you would have managed the second inning using small ball. Below is the hitters and what they did:

Kash- hbp

farmer- double kash scored

Christensen- ground ball to second Farmer to third

Sheffert- K

Cooper- walk

Burly-K

How would you use small ball? Can't wait to see your response.

Their starter 1.07 era Freeman was 1.77 going into game last night. Know your facts better before you open the pie hole.

Will check back in later to take you to baseball school some more.

How is Burly riding a hot bat? Second inning, inning you are referencing, he hadn't hit yet and was hitting about .250 on the season with no hitting streak. Be my guest and ask some baseball guys if they would play small ball in the bottom of second down 8-0. Won't find any...that includes me. By the way please recreate for me your idea (how you would have managed the second inning using small ball. Below is the hitters and what they did:

Kash- hbp

farmer- double kash scored

Christensen- ground ball to second Farmer to third

Sheffert- K

Cooper- walk

Burly-K

How would you use small ball? Can't wait to see your response.

Their starter 1.07 era Freeman was 1.77 going into game last night. Know your facts better before you open the pie hole.

Will check back in later to take you to baseball school some more.

Lol...

The plot thickens... :snacks:

Oh, and 4 errors yesterday. Yeah, stalwart team here. Anderson teams find ways to lose ballgames that matter, that's why they're 3 for their last 21 in Big 12 series, with those 3 series wins coming against the 9th place team in 2009, and the other 2 at the end of the year in '09 and '10 when NU was mathematically eliminated from the Big 12 tournament. So when IS it Anderson's fault, prithee praytell?

I leave my house at the top of the 5th to go help my dad retrieve a flag pole from his buddy house who's going to basic training and I'm not gone more than 10 minutes and I come back to see the score 5-0 in the bottom 5th.

Purchased 10 tickets for the May 6th game against Texas and not looking forward to the game but will be looking forward to the tailgating before and after the game.

As for the 1.07 era comment, hmm... seems our pitcher had a better era. the difference was, one team knows how to win, the other team seemingly doesn't.and lastly, we should be tied for the top in runs allowed, our RPI is nearly dead last in the conference while A&M leads the conference in RPI. I ask you Turn2, how much do you really know about baseball because you constantly seem to insert your foot.

The statement above seems to be the theme for the Husker baseball team over the last 4 seasons or so... I don't know if it is the player chemistry or the coaching. I can tell you though that I have spotted MA kicking around a rosin bag in the bullpen while we were in the field with a regional game on the line that we barely won... Seeing that left me scratching my head.