Texas Spring Game on ESPN

JTrain

Their offense is so boring to watch. And it's clear to me that Mac Brown is more of a icon than a coach, he's been on his headset talking to ESPN the whole day, wasting valuable coaching time. He's having his guys coach, he just recruits and says something like "well I think this guy looks pretty nice for us." Yeah and Longhorn Network commercials and logos are plastered all over this game. It's clear that it's an advertisement for the school.

I also love how the stadium is about 20-30% full... and tickets were free. HA! Our tickets are $10 and we still sell out or sell at least 70% of the game out every year.

I don't agree with that. True they had a bad year last season ... except against us. But he has had a lot of good years, including NC and played for another one. He has to be doing something right with his coaching ... there's a lot more to it than just recruiting. You still have to develop players. I can't think of him less than a great coach ... he wouldn't have down as well if he wasn't, talent or no talent.

mack daddy is a recruiter and every kid in Texas wants to play for UT...nuf' said.

You have that mixed up every kid in NE wants to play for NE. The school you grow up following in Texas depends on the part of the state you live in. Even Rex said he was an A&M fan growing up. I think it sells Mack short on the job he does to think that every kid in Texas wants to be a Longhorn.

I don't agree with that. True they had a bad year last season ... except against us. But he has had a lot of good years, including NC and played for another one. He has to be doing something right with his coaching ... there's a lot more to it than just recruiting. You still have to develop players. I can't think of him less than a great coach ... he wouldn't have down as well if he wasn't, talent or no talent.

Consider this. One of the best defensive coordinators of this college football era worked at Texas, and he was good enough to become the head coach at Florida. Texas, year-in and year-out, has one of the highest if not the highest ranked recruiting classes in the nation. Each year, they recruit more four and five star players than almost any other school in the nation. They're at the heart of arguably the deepest and most talented recruiting hot-bed in the nation.

When Mack Brown won his lone championship for Texas, it was with one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever. Go back to the 2005 National Championship game. Does Texas win that game without Vince Young? No, they don't.

What does this all mean? Is Brown a bad coach? No, I wouldn't say that. I would, however, say that he's not a great coach. He's simply a good coach with a lot of talent and millions of dollars to throw around thanks to an outstanding athletic department and state. Great coaches don't go 5-7 and lose games like he did last year. They just don't.