Iowa game

Our biggest concern is obviously gonna be our offense, now we have a new OC so that could make a difference, but we still don't know. Now if we can limit our mistakes and not put our defense in a bad spot which we have done far too many times, then I like our chances. If we lose, it would be because our offense couldn't score and/or gave Iowa short fields.

See, another gentlemen, strengthening my point. We won't lose to Iowa because the D got it's ass handed to them. It will be due to other factors, beyond our control.

If by score, you mean like a sailor on leave in Bangkok. I agree. Football 101: Make a team one dimensional. Bo knows. Iowas line will most likely be the best in the B10 this year, have one heck of a RB, got a cannon thats been seasoned about the right amount of time, got some good big recievers, the recipe is starting to look real good now.

If you guys scored more than 20, I'd be shocked...

With a more than likely top 25 D, or more. I'll take those odds. I can't see how the O AND the D are not both ranked fairly high next year. Now this said injuries play a big role. But thats the same for all teams that have people that are just "that" good. I mean Iowa has proven for YEARS they can take a 3 or 4th string RB and still win. Look at when they played LSU, they had the worst running record in their history that year. But they won. Oh and I'll be nice and say that against top 25 teams you played last year you were 2-2. I would also say that to put it into perspective, Nebraskas D was like 10th or so (cant recall off hand) last year, and Iowas was 15th. What I am saying if Iowas D slides to much past 20th this year, I would be shocked, and the O should be close to what Wiskeys was last year (dont know off hand what their O ranked, but I think it was up there) . Again I say I like the recipe.

If you guys win, it'll be some asinine score like 10-9, or 13-12. By no means, will it be some steamroller, woodshed performance.

The only reason Iowa would beat us, is because our offense will spit the bit. It'll be no different from the other games we've lost due to lack of offensive cohesion.

And that could very well be. That was my point, Iowas D has been good for a LONG time and I dont see a big slide, a slight one maybe, but not a big one. On the other hand Iowa's O has stuggled alot in the past and ended up playing alot of low scoring games, as they had to reley on the D. This year, I think the O will be one of the best in the B10 as will the D, like I said I doubt they drop below 22 or so nationally.

Can we just play this game tomorrow. :LOLtartar

I would like to believe that we will kill Iowa but I have a feeling that our offense will decline as the season goes along, like it has the last few years; hopefully not as much as it did last year or the Scoring Implosion of 2009.

If by score, you mean like a sailor on leave in Bangkok. I agree. Football 101: Make a team one dimensional. Bo knows. Iowas line will most likely be the best in the B10 this year, have one heck of a RB, got a cannon thats been seasoned about the right amount of time, got some good big recievers, the recipe is starting to look real good now.

If you guys scored more than 20, I'd be shocked...

With a more than likely top 25 D, or more. I'll take those odds. I can't see how the O AND the D are not both ranked fairly high next year. Now this said injuries play a big role. But thats the same for all teams that have people that are just "that" good. I mean Iowa has proven for YEARS they can take a 3 or 4th string RB and still win. Look at when they played LSU, they had the worst running record in their history that year. But they won. Oh and I'll be nice and say that against top 25 teams you played last year you were 2-2. I would also say that to put it into perspective, Nebraskas D was like 10th or so (cant recall off hand) last year, and Iowas was 15th. What I am saying if Iowas D slides to much past 20th this year, I would be shocked, and the O should be close to what Wiskeys was last year (dont know off hand what their O ranked, but I think it was up there) . Again I say I like the recipe.

If you guys win, it'll be some asinine score like 10-9, or 13-12. By no means, will it be some steamroller, woodshed performance.

The only reason Iowa would beat us, is because our offense will spit the bit. It'll be no different from the other games we've lost due to lack of offensive cohesion.

And that could very well be. That was my point, Iowas D has been good for a LONG time and I dont see a big slide, a slight one maybe, but not a big one. On the other hand Iowa's O has stuggled alot in the past and ended up playing alot of low scoring games, as they had to reley on the D. This year, I think the O will be one of the best in the B10 as will the D, like I said I doubt they drop below 22 or so nationally.

EDIT: I think it's time for bed, this is the second double post I've had.

• Fire 1

Agree with many that Big10 fans have NO IDEA how good our defense is. Otoh, they also have NO IDEA how horrible our offense can be. We can beat anybody due to our defense and lose to anybody due to our offense. They'll start figuring that out this year unless Beck & co are real.

They just better hope our new OC, WR & QB coaches aren't big improvements over what we had (although it's probably impossible to be worse). If they're significantly better, they may rue the day they invited us (except bowl & OOC games).

• Fire 1

So lemme get this straight. Iowa is going to have a "Wiscy-like" offense this year? All because their QB has another season under his belt?

Last year's Offensive Ranks:

Wiscy

Rushing O - 12th

Passing O - 75th

Scoring O - 5th

Total O - 21st

Iowa

Rushing O - 70th

Passing O - 49th

Scoring O - 50th

Total O - 57th

So Iowa is going to improve 58 spots in Rushing, stay the same/improve in passing, while improving 45 spots in Scoring and 36 spots in Total Offense from 2010 to 2011?

And they're going to do this because.... why?

I'm digging your homer-ism, bigg10, but that's not even remotely realistic.

So lemme get this straight. Iowa is going to have a "Wiscy-like" offense this year? All because their QB has another season under his belt?

Wiscy

Rushing O - 12th

Passing O - 75th

Scoring O - 5th

Total O - 21st

Iowa

Rushing O - 70th

Passing O - 49th

Scoring O - 50th

Total O - 57th

So Iowa is going to improve 58 spots in Rushing, stay the same/improve in passing, while improving 45 spots in Scoring and 36 spots in Total Offense from 2010 to 2011?

Maybe not exactly like Wiskey, but really close. You dont think Iowa can slide a little in passing? You dont think after the decimation at RB last year, they have restocked and the running game will vastly improve? I mean 70th, really, another number Iowa fans can hold their heads low about. Iowa seems to have issues at RB, but I think the gods have been happy lately and we are about due for another record breaker. You dont think being able to run opens up the door for the play action, making it easier to get into the endzone? Thats what those numbers say! Besides, I have watched teams in the B10 for along time, this years Iowa team has the right amount of this and that, now I am just curious what KF does with it.

Wiscy

Rushing O - 12th

Passing O - 75th

Scoring O - 5th

Total O - 21st

Iowa

Rushing O - 70th

Passing O - 49th

Scoring O - 50th

Total O - 57th

Iowa's this years version of the "Scoring Explosion", haven't you heard???

Didn't Iowa's QB get drafted by the NFL?

Yep. Next in is a JR, who will be pretty much graduated this year, but is still going to play ball next year, just with a really light class schedual (more time to focus on ball). He is good, very good. Nobodys taking Stanzi's stuff down just yet, but his arm is way stronger than Stanzi's, his release is qwicker, his accuracy is better, he is physically built better for a qb and he got to sit back and learn from Stanzi.

See, I guess I have a tough time buying into the fact that Iowa's Offense will be that much drastically improved, when our defense is returning what, 7 or 8 guys? (sorry, it's late and I should have gone to bed)

Is whoever the Phantom Jesus Iowa QB really going to make that big of a difference? Is his offensive line going to give him enough time so he's not running for his life? Are they going to be able to run the ball with power and alacrity?

If the secondary makes the pass game that difficult to execute, they'll have to run the ball, into maybe one of the better front seven's in the nation. I could see the Huskers winning this thing 9-7.

Wiscy

Rushing O - 12th

Passing O - 75th

Scoring O - 5th

Total O - 21st

Iowa

Rushing O - 70th

Passing O - 49th

Scoring O - 50th

Total O - 57th

Maybe not exactly like Wiskey, but really close. You dont think Iowa can slide a little in passing? You dont think after the decimation at RB last year, they have restocked and the running game will vastly improve? I mean 70th, really, another number Iowa fans can hold their heads low about. Iowa seems to have issues at RB, but I think the gods have been happy lately and we are about due for another record breaker. You dont think being able to run opens up the door for the play action, making it easier to get into the endzone? Thats what those numbers say! Besides, I have watched teams in the B10 for along time, this years Iowa team has the right amount of this and that, now I am just curious what KF does with it.

Of course all of those things are possible. It's possible Iowa could have a brilliant season and jump to the top ten in every offensive category. But it's not likely, and that's where I'm questioning these bold predictions you're making.

Similarly, Nebraska has some awesome players at key positions. We have a QB who can be the fastest guy on the field in most every game we play, and who has the skills to be a top passer as well. We have a RB who has already dominated games. We have a TE that can both block and out-run most anyone, LB or DB, who covers him. We have another TE who has already proven to be a devastating, game-changing blocker. We have a WR who has already proven to be a clutch receiver, who has a big body and who has all kinds of talent. We have a host of other WRs who boast blazing speed and gaudy recruiting stars.

Each of the guys I'm talking about was on our team last year. The same team that bumbled its way through half the season, barely scoring against A&M, Washington (the bowl game), 5-7 Texas and SDSU. Most of these guys were responsible for these numbers:

Nebraska

Rushing O - 9th (led both the Big XII and the B1G)

Passing O - 113th (last in both the Big XII and the B1G)

Scoring O - 44th

Total O - 39th

Now, it is definitely possible that Nebraska will improve on those numbers, and I hope we do, but I'm never going to tell you that it's definitely going to happen. I'll walk you down the evidence of why I think it'll happen, but at this point I don't have any. Maybe by the time we play I'll have something, but by that time you'll likely be able to see it for yourself.

Wiscy

Rushing O - 12th

Passing O - 75th

Scoring O - 5th

Total O - 21st

Iowa

Rushing O - 70th

Passing O - 49th

Scoring O - 50th

Total O - 57th

Of course all of those things are possible. It's possible Iowa could have a brilliant season and jump to the top ten in every offensive category. But it's not likely, and that's where I'm questioning these bold predictions you're making.

Similarly, Nebraska has some awesome players at key positions. We have a QB who can be the fastest guy on the field in most every game we play, and who has the skills to be a top passer as well. We have a RB who has already dominated games. We have a TE that can both block and out-run most anyone, LB or DB, who covers him. We have another TE who has already proven to be a devastating, game-changing blocker. We have a WR who has already proven to be a clutch receiver, who has a big body and who has all kinds of talent. We have a host of other WRs who boast blazing speed and gaudy recruiting stars.

Each of the guys I'm talking about was on our team last year. The same team that bumbled its way through half the season, barely scoring against A&M, Washington (the bowl game), 5-7 Texas and SDSU. Most of these guys were responsible for these numbers:

Nebraska

Rushing O - 9th (led both the Big XII and the B1G)

Passing O - 113th (last in both the Big XII and the B1G)

Scoring O - 44th

Total O - 39th

Now, it is definitely possible that Nebraska will improve on those numbers, and I hope we do, but I'm never going to tell you that it's definitely going to happen. I'll walk you down the evidence of why I think it'll happen, but at this point I don't have any. Maybe by the time we play I'll have something, but by that time you'll likely be able to see it for yourself.

I agree with that. I am not saying Nebraska's not showing up this year. What I was saying is first I will be surprised if Iowa ranks worse than low 20's in O AND D this year. Thats a pretty good team, anyway you slice it.

My biggest concern for Nebraska is #1 they got almost all those rushing yards in the B12, where it's spread heavy. #2 alot of those yards came by T-mart (see Mich's season last year in the B10). #3 T-mart is not a very good passer. #4 It has been shown that when ran at with a remotely decent running game, Nebraska had a hard time with it. Then ofcourse you can throw in coaching changes, statagey changes and moving into all new teams to prepare for.

If it wasnt for those things, I could see Nebraska taking the division.

Bo does really well at D, so I have to think he will be able to slow the run better than he did last year, knowing full well he is now in a run dominate conference, but there is no proof of that and really no sign of any of the other issues being sorted out this year. Which to be honest can be expected. Give him a few years. He has alot on his plate.

This is in no way, trying to take away from Nebraska, but when you start looking at what if's and I hopes, for the B10 teams, Nebraska has more than a few. Iowa has them to, but they are little ones, Iowas biggest concern if you ask me is RB's RB's RB's, their record is horrible when it comes to keeping RB's in the game (for whatever reason). #2 TE's yes they have some talent there, but compared to years past I would say that position has slide a bit. Again, maybe not alot, but still I think it slide a little.

I agree with that. I am not saying Nebraska's not showing up this year. What I was saying is first I will be surprised if Iowa ranks below low 20's in O AND D this year. Thats a pretty good team, anyway you slice it.

My biggest concern for Nebraska is #1 they got almost all those rushing yards in the B12, where it's spread heavy. #2 alot of those yards came by T-mart (see Mich's season last year in the B10). #3 T-mart is not a very good passer. #4 It has been shown that when ran at with a remotely decent running game, Nebraska had a hard time with it. Then ofcourse you can throw in coaching changes, statagey changes and moving into all new teams to prepare for.

If it wasnt for those things, I could see Nebraska taking the division.

Bo does really well at D, so I have to think he will be able to slow the run better than he did last year, knowing full well he is now in a run dominate conference, but there is no proof of that and really no sign of any of the other issues being sorted out this year. Which to be honest can be expected. Give him a few years. He has alot on his plate.

This is in no way, trying to take away from Nebraska, but when you start looking at what if's and I hopes, for the B10 teams, Nebraska has more than a few. Iowa has them to, but they are little ones, Iowas biggest concern if you ask me is RB's RB's RB's, their record is horrible when it comes to keeping RB's in the game (for whatever reason). #2 TE's yes they have some talent there, but compared to years past I would say that position has slide a bit. Again, maybe not alot, but still I think it slide a little.

I won't disagree with your assessment of Nebraska's problems, and I'd even go so far as to say you've undersold them. We have a lot of potential problems. If we get them all fixed, that'll warrant Coach of the Year consideration for Pelini, IMVHO.

The issue at Iowa isn't just RB, it's QB, too. Who's your signal-caller going to be, Vandenberg? The guy is a sub-.500 passer with three career TDs and five INTs. I'm not seeing reasons for the optimism you're displaying here.

Specifically against Nebraska, this guy is a pocket passer. If he stays in the pocket, I don't care how good that O Line is at Iowa, we'll eat this guy for lunch. Immobile QBs are fresh meat for the Blackshirts. That's probably the single biggest thing the Big Ten needs to learn about Nebraska – there is NO ROOM for immobility at QB against this defense. None.

I spent a lot of time trying to explain this to Washington Husky fans last September before we played "Heisman Trophy Candidate" Jake Locker in Seattle. They would have none of it, no matter how specifically I broke it down (as in, Locker MUST release the ball in under three seconds every play or get plastered). They remained confident they had this game in the bag…and we nearly killed Locker. Same thing with the Vandals fans and Nate Enderle.

This is why Husker fans are telling you we'll be surprised if Iowa scores 20 points against the Blackshirts. Frankly, if Vandenberg isn't able to muster any kind of passing game and we can load up on the run, I don't like Iowa's chances at all.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

• Fire 1