BTN Offered to Televise the Spring Game

They put them on for some reason, my guess is quite a few watch them. I try to see the SEC games if possible, would be very interested in the Wisconsin game and the Ohio State game. Being a college football fan, not just a Nebraska fan is most likely the difference.

You guys are most likely quite young and have your whole life ahead of you to watch Nebraska football, but for old guys lime myself and robsker we want to see every thing we can, not many more to watch.

What good would it do? Great exposure for the program for CFB fans and recruits and their coaches around the country!

The ones who will be watching other spring games instead of ours.

Really???? How many people actual watch a spring game from start to finish. If you werent a Nebraska fan, would you watch it. If your teams spring game isnt on Tv do you watch the others???? I got better things to do in April than watch somebody elses open scrimmage. I imagine recruits and their coaches do too.

This may come as a shock to you so you might want to sit down. I don't know how else to tell you this other than to be blunt - Other people have different interests than you.

Take a second to let that sink in.

OK, the worst is over. Now that we've gotten that down, it'll be easier for you to understand how some people - people with different interests - may want to watch things other than what you want to watch. And to build on that concept, some people may want to watch other programs' games, because in those games those other programs will be showing the stuff they've worked on over the Spring, and they'll be doing so with the players who may (possibly) replace those they lost since last season. And those plays and those players are what we (college football fans) will be talking about all Summer, as a prelude to Fall, when other people with other interests (which, apparently, is you) don't know what's going on in college football.

HTH

What good would it do? Great exposure for the program for CFB fans and recruits and their coaches around the country!

The ones who will be watching other spring games instead of ours.

Really???? How many people actual watch a spring game from start to finish. If you werent a Nebraska fan, would you watch it. If your teams spring game isnt on Tv do you watch the others???? I got better things to do in April than watch somebody elses open scrimmage. I imagine recruits and their coaches do too.

This may come as a shock to you so you might want to sit down. I don't know how else to tell you this other than to be blunt - Other people have different interests than you.

Take a second to let that sink in.

OK, the worst is over. Now that we've gotten that down, it'll be easier for you to understand how some people - people with different interests - may want to watch things other than what you want to watch. And to build on that concept, some people may want to watch other programs' games, because in those games those other programs will be showing the stuff they've worked on over the Spring, and they'll be doing so with the players who may (possibly) replace those they lost since last season. And those plays and those players are what we (college football fans) will be talking about all Summer, as a prelude to Fall, when other people with other interests (which, apparently, is you) don't know what's going on in college football.

HTH

Ok Knapplc. I see what your saying. But my point is most teams like Nebraska dont show very much during spring games. Why you ask cause they only had about 14 practices to work on stuff. Its open scrimmage is all, they arent gonna do anything flashy. Yes, you may see a player or two stand out that hasnt before. But that really doesnt matter if the player doesnt see the field in the fall. Yes I understand that people have different intersets than me, I guess not watching somebody else spring game or ours for that matter doesnt make me a hardcore football fan. It will make me clueless for fall camp. :sarcasm

Hey its 70 degrees out Im gonna watch the texas spring game. Uhhh not. Im going out to the porch and drink some beers.

You really think HS players that are being recruited by Nebraska, wouldn't want to tune in and watch a live scrimmage?

It's got showcase potential written all over it. Interviews with Bo and other coaches aired throughout the game where they talk about Nebraska and what makes it special. Highlights from seasons past during downtime between plays. Commercial spots spotlighting the Big Ten and the UNL as a school, not just as an athletic institution. Maybe some interviews with the Chancellor or Tom Osborne at halftime, and some sideline stuff with the recruits who are visiting.

Maybe it would be a circus, but in a good way. JMO.

We are going into the Big Ten, a new recruiting area for us. I would think kids and their parents would have tremendous interest in our spring game. Promotional opportunity missed I think. Being on TV can not hurt Nebraska, maybe some will actually figure out where we are!!! Fly over state, be damned.

You really think HS players that are being recruited by Nebraska, wouldn't want to tune in and watch a live scrimmage?

It's got showcase potential written all over it. Interviews with Bo and other coaches aired throughout the game where they talk about Nebraska and what makes it special. Highlights from seasons past during downtime between plays. Commercial spots spotlighting the Big Ten and the UNL as a school, not just as an athletic institution. Maybe some interviews with the Chancellor or Tom Osborne at halftime, and some sideline stuff with the recruits who are visiting.

Maybe it would be a circus, but in a good way. JMO.

Recruits maybe. but we have alot of recruits visiting anyway. You are looking at this from a recruiting point of view only. Im looking at a general fan point of view. Im not saying either is bad. Im saying that the general fan, with no allegiance to UNL dont really care enough about this to plan their saturday around to watch. Especially when its 70 degrees outside, people have spring fever this time of year, they wanna go out and do yard/house work.

I'm actually with huskerscott on this, for the most part. I want the spring game to be televised for selfish reasons, because I can't go to the game and I'd like to watch it.

However, I really don't buy into the whole national exposure argument. I watched Texas' spring game the other day for about 1 play, and then remembered how boring spring games are. Nobody who doesn't already know about Nebraska football is going to watch the spring game, and I honestly think recruits could care less whether it's on television. Half of the recruits are probably going to be getting ready for prom that ni

I'm actually with huskerscott on this, for the most part. I want the spring game to be televised for selfish reasons, because I can't go to the game and I'd like to watch it.

However, I really don't buy into the whole national exposure argument. I watched Texas' spring game the other day for about 1 play, and then remembered how boring spring games are. Nobody who doesn't already know about Nebraska football is going to watch the spring game, and I honestly think recruits could care less whether it's on television. Half of the recruits are probably going to be getting ready for prom that ni

Yes lets have our game on national tv and maybe 20,000 show up. Like Texas, UNC, Florida and I am sure others.

Most fans comedown for the game cause its an excuse to practice on their tailgating/drinking. Spring game night falls into one of those amateur nights.

I can not believe that you guys care about this so much. Who freaking cares, having it on TV does nothing for recruiting, you know how to recruit, win in the regular season. All of your arguments for it on TV or dumb, if you want to see go, if you can't who cares.

Uh... there are those of us who live in places like Oregon who can't go to the game and who would like to see it.

I would be one of those Oregon types I feel the pain ..... I also think that a surly coach who would see this as a media showboating event may also be a factor. That makes the most sense to me along w/wanting to pick the choice that is deemed to bring the most $.

However, I really don't buy into the whole national exposure argument.

It's real, whether you want to believe in it or not.

Weird... the second half of my post got deleted... don't know what happened there...

Anyways, I was basically saying that when I meet a fan that was turned on to another program because they loved their spring game so much, or when I see a recuit say that he chose a school because they had their spring game televised and we didn't, THEN I'll buy into the idea that televising spring game is a great opportunity for our progam.

Mostly, I think it's a nice thing to do for fans who already love and support the program, and that's all.

Texas just did it, and then they had a CFB live special on Monday. That's advertising the school, which is important.

And did you see their attendance? Or should I say the lack of.

Edited by okaive
However, I really don't buy into the whole national exposure argument.

It's real, whether you want to believe in it or not.

No its hype and money. ESPN is paying these schools to put their spring games on TV.

They thought UNC was one of those teams that was gonna be good last year so they put their spring game on. Alabama was the defending national champion, florida had a quarterback race to replace Tim Jesus.

This year Texas has a new coordinator on offense and defense, plus its a chance to see Little McCoy looks like in a scrimmage.

Our game was broadcasted in 2007 (NFL network)because we were one of those teams that were suppose to be good that year, plus it was a chance to Sam Keller in Husker Red.

Its all about hype of a team and storylines.

Its all about hype of a team.

Exactly. Or, rather than "hype," let's say, "publicity." Relevant teams are asked to have their Spring Games televised. It's a sign of our decline at the end of last season that nobody knocked at our door asking to televise the game - and yet they were beating a path to Stadium Drive after the 2009 season. It's all about publicity, national exposure, hype, whatever you want to call it, as long as it keeps our name in the headlines (in a positive way).

We have enough bad press with Player X getting busted for DUI or leaving the team under mysterious circumstances or for our coach going ballistic on the sidelines. Some simple positive conversation about the Huskers is a good thing.

For those unknowing above. Coach Osborne recommended Mr Pederson for the job of AD. Most likely the worst thing that ever happened to the University of Nebraska football program. He also hired him as his recruiting director. Silly me thinking that he could make a mistake or be wrong about something.

TO isn't infallible, but i think he's the next best thing when it comes to running a college football program the right way for the right reasons. as to pederson, do you have any reason to think that he did a poor job as a recruiting coordinator under TO? was it a mistake to hire him for that position? if not, why bring it up? is it possible that a person can change and become more egotistical as they rise to the upper levels of a profession? i think it's pretty clear that TO was not alone in thinking he knew steve pederson when he recommended him.

as someone else mentioned in this thread, we are extremely unlucky that things unfolded the way they did in the late 90's. if spanier had hired papik for AD instead of byrne, TO may not have retired when he did and could have transitioned into being the AD himself earlier.