Hawkeyes lose annual rivalry, gain another

knapplc, I'm AGREEING with you. I made the point that people are basing this on players who haven't proved themselves on the field. I said the three backs are ADVERTISED as being burners. That means others are saying this ... not me. I'm not assuming anything. I said I have no idea how much straight-ahead speed Turner has. The report is Turner is very quick and shifty ... but I don't know how good he will be. I might had over-spoke a little about Bell being a burner ... but that doesn't mean I think he's going to be the best thing since slice bread in the Big 10 ... I don't have the foggiest idea. I'm agreeing with you. This is the problem with interpretation ... people have a tendency of reading something the wrong way. No big deal, dude, but you misread my post. So for the third time, I'm agreeing with you. 10-4?

Completely disagree.

;)

I wonder where all the other Power Run football teams that win 60 games in 4 years are?

Or maybe 30 games in 3 years?

Or maybe a National Championship in any season over the last ten?

What you're talking about is an aberration, a freakish occurrence. Amazing, yes, but nothing that can or will be duplicated.

NOBODY WILL WIN LIKE THAT AGAIN. Not NU, not wisconsin, iowa, georgia tech, or the like.

Again, whats your point? Shall NU go back? I would have said yes last year, as anything consistent would have won the big 12 for NU.... but now? I'd rather go where we're going. Beck sounds like the right man for the job, and I totally buy what Bo has going on, top to bottom.

Offhand I'd say those Power Run football teams that win 60 games in 4 years are in the same place as all of those Spread teams that have won 60 games in a four year stretch, or 30 in three years - nowhere. The problem you have is that you're tying the results into the philosophy.

You want to win? Just do what you do better than the other guy. That holds true whether you're running a Spread passing attack, Spread run, Power run, Wishbone, Flexbone, or whatever. The point, since you seem to have missed it, isn't that you can ONLY win with the current offensive flavor of the month, it's that you can win with ANY kind of offense, or defense, as long as you're better at what you do than the guys who line up across the ball.

Football is cyclical. Spread attacks have come and gone. Power rushing attacks have come and gone. 3/4 defenses, 4/3, 5/2/4, whatever flavor you can dream up has already been run. There is very little new under the sun in college football. Football is, today, just what it was in the 1950s - a matchup of individuals played in a group setting.

Exactly, what he said. I would only add that back when Nebraska ran a power game, more people ran that same game. After 90 percent of the college teams moved away from it, you are only left with a small percentage of schools still using it. That severly affects the odds of a team in the NC being a power game team. It is a matter of choice and availability, pick your game then select the players who give you the best shot at your game to win, doesnt matter if it's power or spread, both work.

Or as they put it in Michigan

" One area where size matters -- both this season and in future recruiting -- is along both lines. Michigan needs to get bigger up front, especially along the defensive front, to hold its own in the Big Ten. Defensive end Ryan Van Bergen told me that several Big Ten teams "outmanned us because of their size." Having an extra defensive lineman on the field this fall should help -- defensive tackle Will Campbell, at 335 pounds, will beef up the front -- but Michigan is definitely trending toward bigger players. "There's some body composition that we've got to continue to change and strength gains that we need to make," Hoke said. "On both sides of the ball, that will be an emphasis in this year's [recruiting] class."

well if the un(all)knowing picked 12-1 last year, what makes him so certain he will be right this year. He already failed last year.

I am sure the Big Ten is quivering in their boots, about the arrival of Nebraska. No run defense against running teams last year, going into a more physical running conference. Mobile QB's have been a problem for Nebraska for a long time. I think we face three or four this year.

Can we win the conference, possibly, but we will not rout the conference. It will be a physical battle, my guess nearly every game on the schedule.

At this time I see us at 10-3, which three not sure of yet. Very few teams put in a new offense and have it succeed the first year. Reps and they will not get enough of them is my guess.

Again, thinking we were going to win every game, no one was capable of playing with Nebraska is what got Nebraska into this ten years of hell. Lack of respect, lack of knowledge of the competition, expecting them to turn tail and run. Amazing.

Washington ran the ball down our throats, and could have the first game if they had not stopped. We do not have depth of size at line backer is my worry. Could be good until we start to feel the grind every game during conference play.

I hope mr know it all is right, but my guess is we will be in every game, and the competition will be to. Should be a very fun year. A learning year for fans, staff an players. I can hardly wait.

Didn't Alabama just win a title with predominantly a power running offense?

Yes they did, as did Florida with Tebow and to some extent Auburn with Scam Newton.

May be a spread formation, but power running is still power running.

The Buckeyes won the NC with a true I formation power running game in 02, and to look for a recently successful Power I running game, Wisconsin put 70 or more points in a few games last year with nothing but a pure power running game.

You are looking for 30 wins over 3 years, Wisky has been close.. 28 wins or so.

It makes it tough because for a true power running game to work, you have to have a true power back starting all 3 years.

And if you're looking for 60 wins in 4 years.. I could be mistaking, but I think you'll have to go play an NFL schedule. Nobody plays 15 game schedules in college.

Power football is far from gone in college football.

Doesn't matter how fast your defense is... if it takes 3 guys to get a ball carrier down, it's gonna be a long day. Trust me.. we experienced it against Wisky last year.

Doesn't matter how fast your defense is... if it takes 3 guys to get a ball carrier down, it's gonna be a long day. Trust me.. we experienced it against Wisky last year.

If it takes 3 of your teams defenders to tackle some other teams running backs, then your team doesn't tackle very well.

I dont think he meant all at once. If your RB can run behind his pads and lay down some hits at the line, by the time anyone moves up to stop him, there is usually two of them. Beat one at the line, take your 7 or so yards and get met by two more. Thats 3.

If it takes 3 of your teams defenders to tackle some other teams running backs, then your team doesn't tackle very well.

I dont think he meant all at once. If your RB can run behind his pads and lay down some hits at the line, by the time anyone moves up to stop him, there is usually two of them. Beat one at the line, take your 7 or so yards and get met by two more. Thats 3.

I stand by my original statement regardless.

The reverse would be:

If your RB can't break a tackle, then your team isn't a power running team.

The reverse would be:

If your RB can't break a tackle, then your team isn't a power running team.

Exactly