Carnes Starter?

I swear if jesus christ flew down here and played QB for Nebraska this upcoming season, people around here would still bitch.

regarding tmobile....

Quickest first step TO has ever seen? check.

Broke most all-time freshman records @ NU? check.

Was a freshman last year? check.

Was a freshman all american last year? check.

Will improve this year? check.

Will start barring injury throughout 2011? check.

You say this so leisurely (at least that's the way I imagine it). If my memory holds true, I saw him limp off the field at some point in the last 3 games he played in and still look pretty tender in the Spring game. You should have put this first and followed it with a TBD.

Yeah, i don't expect him to last a whole season. Viva la Carnes!

On the issue of TMart and his health we agree...

I'd say this... I do not necessarily expect TMart to even start the season fully recovered (he might... lets hope he does... but there is reasonable question as to whether that will be the case). He was hurt and hobbled in portions of his last two years of HS and also last year. He seems to have a history. Of course, history does not always predict the future... but... consider that, in general, running QB's have a much lower probability of remaining healthy than do non-running QB's... and this particular running QB has a history of injury... and even more pointedly, he is nursing (and may continue to nurse) a nagging couple of injuries. So... he might end up healthy and stay that way all season... that would be nice... but the indicators would suggest that we should not plan on such.

Obviously no one can "predict injuries" but... it is not unreasonable to assert that NU fans will see Brion Carnes (or whoever is the #2 behind TMart) often... to either prevent TMart from being overly exposed to further injury if TMart is able to play and is healthy (that is, playing our #2 quite a bit in hopes of keeping TMart healthy) or stepping in for TMart if TMart he goes down entirely (or is too banged up to risk further damage to).

Here's to you, broad-paint-brush-guy!

A broad paint brush is all we have at this point --- this early before the season starts. The brush narrows as the data pours in --- as we hear practice reports, as we hear about who is healthy and who is not, who is progressing, etc. As the season approaches and we have more upon which to draw we get more specific.

All we can have to talk about now is broad generalisms -- and overall, at this juncture, in the absence of more info... it is most reasonable to assert that NU will end next season pretty much as they have the last several... pretty solid, inconsistent, fairly mistake prone, fringe top 20-25, great defense, struggling offense, early on hopeful of big things (like conference championships, BCS bowl, etc.)-- later in the season exposed and relegated to merely finishing ranked (w/o a real shot at the BCS). pretty much a broad stroke.. yeah...

I thought that way for a while too, but I really think that's the Shawn Watson hangover. For 3 years Watson's offense programmed us to be timid and unoptimistic - it was conservative, submissive, and folded too easily. Even though we have no reason, I choose to believe our offense's state of mind will improve under Beck. With how conservative our offense has been, it's clear that Watson wasn't confident in our guys, and it would be hard for our guys to be confident in themselves if not even their coach believed in them.

What was conservative about all that passing on 3rd-and-short? ;)

The conservative side - the not-believing-in-the-offense part of things - came directly from Bo. He even admitted after the Holiday Bowl after seeing the results when he allowed the Rexcat turned loose that it might've been a mistake to pull the reigns back as far as he did.

Only after Taylor got injured, it was basically the same approach with Green, and even Lee in the second half of the Missouri game. I think this is just Bo's philosophy: play to win the game, and with a strong defense you just need to grab a lead and hold onto it. We should probably get used to it.

I'm a little concerned about QB depth but it could be very good, too. A lot of unknowns right now is all.

I would agree with this - he's almost conservative to a fault.

I've always contended that we have no one to blame for the loss to Texas in the '09 Big 12 Title game but ourselves, and the extra second shouldn't have mattered. After Gomes' incredible fighting-tooth-and-nail-proving-we-want-it-more interception, we actually drove the field down to the Texas 35 where it was 3rd and 6. Kinnie had just made a good catch near the end zone but came down 6 inches out of bounds.

It was almost Texas '06 all over again. Little over 2 minutes left, and a first down most likely seals it, given Alex Henery was already one of the best kickers in Nebraska history. We had some options instead of a dive play to Rex to set up the field goal.

If you want to win, you GET THAT FIRST DOWN. Roll-out. Play action. Pitch to Rex with a pass option. Sure, there's some risk involved, but as soon as I saw the I-formation, I knew what Pelini was thinking. Get the field goal and play D for the win, which had already failed vs. Virginia Tech. I knew we were going to lose at that point, and I really didn't want to watch the trainwreck unfold, but sure enough, I was right.

Something tells me Beck goes for that first down and it doesn't matter whether it's Carnes or Martinez. And Pelini's okay with it. Maybe it's blind hope.

But I think I'm right again.

That's my point...Twatson was timid, and Bo was basic an enabler. If Beck backs up all this aggression talk, I think the mindset changes. Rather than playing not to lose, we play to win, like the Blackshirts do.

(he had a month to heal and work out his issues of mechanics,

Honestly, it's not easy to do both of those things at the same time. You're not going to fix your footwork on a bum ankle, and it's going to take longer to heal if you're running around on it. Everyone keeps slamming Martinez for this, but it's coach Bo who should be getting criticized.

And a month isn't long enough to work either of those things out, even if you're doing just one at a time. Period. He's only human ffs.

Good and reasonable points. When I say that TMart has not progressed, it was not an indictment --- as if somehow he is remiss in not getting better --- his real-world context for improving is less than ideal --- as you rightly point out. When I say that he has not progressed, it is, however, a statement of fact (well.. opinion based upon observation). That is, why he has not progressed is not so much the point... that he has not progressed is the point. The question then is... does his lack of progression to this point mean he will still have not progressed by the time the season starts? I can't say... I hope he does.

You just repeated what I said. At any given moment Martinez is either (1) standing in the pocket surveying the field, or (2) scrambling on a designed run. And yes, I mean that both can take place during the same play. But once he's made the transition from one, he seems incapable of going back to the other.

Carnes, meanwhile, will stand in the pocket and survey, find nothing open, roll out, stand and survey, roll out some more, then find a target and hit it or scramble. He is constantly scanning and trying to make a play.

Point being, I can't remember a time I saw Martinez roll out and then pull up and make a throw instead of continuing to run. The only exception might be those odd shovel pass things we saw in the Holiday Bowl.

Whazzzbuzza? I did not repeat what you said. You said Martinez EITHER stands in the pocket OR takes off on a designed run. Taylor's very first series in the Spring Game featured a play where he was NOT supposed to run, but did. And ran for a first down. On a play designed to be a pass. Because there were no open receivers.

Again - it was NOT a designed run.

How do you think we're saying the same thing?

Designed run was a poor choice of words. My point is that for Taylor, if the throw is not there, he tucks it and runs, never to think about the throw again. He is either in "run mode" or "throw mode" but never both at the same time. (Same play, yes; same time, no.)

Carnes is the exact opposite. He has the ability to move out of the pocket and position himself as a threat to run, but does so while keeping his head up and ball ready to hit a receiver if one should open up.

It's amazing how much he can do so flawlessly without even taking one single snap in any div1 game. Impressive!!

Seriously, what's your point? Yes or no: Do you think you can tell anything about a kid's likely tendencies before they play in a game? You act like we cannot make any assessments about Carnes' game just because he hasn't played in an actual game yet. I think this is shortsighted and foolish. But I don't need to tell you why because I strongly suspect you don't even believe this is true yourself.

From his high school footage, to the practice footage, to everything we've heard from sportswriters/coaches/players, to the spring game, every single thing I've seen suggests that Carnes is the type of QB who is comfortable rolling out of the pocket, can pass on the run, and is able to by some time as a result of these things. Why do you insist on denying it?

If you want the gloves to come off about Taylor they can come off. Since you're so stuck on what we don't know about Carnes, let's talk about what we DO know about Taylor. How about the fact that the he does not have any of most fundamental things you need in your quarterback:

Comfortable in the pocket? Nope.

Leadership? Nope.

Ability to stretch the field with the long ball? Not really.

Reliably move the chains on third down? Nope.

Durable? Not quite.

And that's really the point that you're missing: My high praise for Carnes has less to do with what he might bring to the table, and has more to do with what Taylor apparently does not.

Jeeez...Hujan, you're sharper than this. Not feeling well? Hey, we all have bad days. No biggie...

Let me use "walksalone" post on this thread....

What it boils down to is that I hope T-Mart succeeds. I'd rather him out there than somebody, who's an unknown quantity in Barnes. Yea, his tapes from High School make him look like jesus on a stick, but that's in high school, not in front of over 100k+ fans at the big house.

Hujan, you're repeatably making these high statements about Carnes ability to perform in bigtime cfb with nothing but high school tapes to back it up. Can't you see that? He hasn't played even "one" single snap of div1 cfb.

When confronted with this obvious problem you then state it doesn't matter because you can "feel" he has the IT factor. Furthermore you then claim if anyone else can't "feel" his IT factor "you don't have a nose for football".

I don't want the gloves to come off with you Hujan. Surely you can see you're stretching things just a little bit don't you think?

I swear if jesus christ flew down here and played QB for Nebraska this upcoming season, people around here would still bitch.

regarding tmobile....

1. Still Injured? Check

2. Still throwing off back foot? Check

3. Still Stares down receivers? Check

4. Still Has no progression ability? Check

5. Still has Accuracy issues? Check

6. Still No Pocket presence? Check

7. Still Has no drop back routine? Check

8. Still has Issues getting rid of ball (Instead scampers around trying to run when he has no clue where defenders are, getting thrown to the ground in the process)? Check

9. Still Low Football IQ? Check

10. Still Has trouble breaking down coverages? Check

11. Game management issues. (Here is one thing he's a little better at.)

12. etc...

13. "Will start barring injury throughout 2011?" che.... um maybe not.

regarding tmobile....

I disagree ......... he came dressed as Tommie Frazier, (Get your facts straight next time).

:sarcasm

You just repeated what I said. At any given moment Martinez is either (1) standing in the pocket surveying the field, or (2) scrambling on a designed run. And yes, I mean that both can take place during the same play. But once he's made the transition from one, he seems incapable of going back to the other.

Carnes, meanwhile, will stand in the pocket and survey, find nothing open, roll out, stand and survey, roll out some more, then find a target and hit it or scramble. He is constantly scanning and trying to make a play.

Point being, I can't remember a time I saw Martinez roll out and then pull up and make a throw instead of continuing to run. The only exception might be those odd shovel pass things we saw in the Holiday Bowl.

Whazzzbuzza? I did not repeat what you said. You said Martinez EITHER stands in the pocket OR takes off on a designed run. Taylor's very first series in the Spring Game featured a play where he was NOT supposed to run, but did. And ran for a first down. On a play designed to be a pass. Because there were no open receivers.

Designed run was a poor choice of words. My point is that for Taylor, if the throw is not there, he tucks it and runs, never to think about the throw again. He is either in "run mode" or "throw mode" but never both at the same time. (Same play, yes; same time, no.)

Carnes is the exact opposite. He has the ability to move out of the pocket and position himself as a threat to run, but does so while keeping his head up and ball ready to hit a receiver if one should open up.

It's amazing how much he can do so flawlessly without even taking one single snap in any div1 game. Impressive!!

Seriously, what's your point? Yes or no: Do you think you can tell anything about a kid's likely tendencies before they play in a game? You act like we cannot make any assessments about Carnes' game just because he hasn't played in an actual game yet. I think this is shortsighted and foolish. But I don't need to tell you why because I strongly suspect you don't even believe this is true yourself.

From his high school footage, to the practice footage, to everything we've heard from sportswriters/coaches/players, to the spring game, every single thing I've seen suggests that Carnes is the type of QB who is comfortable rolling out of the pocket, can pass on the run, and is able to by some time as a result of these things. Why do you insist on denying it?

If you want the gloves to come off about Taylor they can come off. Since you're so stuck on what we don't know about Carnes, let's talk about what we DO know about Taylor. How about the fact that the he does not have any of most fundamental things you need in your quarterback:

Leadership? Nope.

Durable? Not quite.

And that's really the point that you're missing: My high praise for Carnes has less to do with what he might bring to the table, and has more to do with what Taylor apparently does not.

Jeeez...Hujan, you're sharper than this. Not feeling well? Hey, we all have bad days. No biggie...

What it boils down to is that I hope T-Mart succeeds. I'd rather him out there than somebody, who's an unknown quantity in Barnes. Yea, his tapes from High School make him look like jesus on a stick, but that's in high school, not in front of over 100k+ fans at the big house.

Hujan, you're repeatably making these high statements about Carnes ability to perform in bigtime cfb with nothing but high school tapes to back it up. Can't you see that? He hasn't played even "one" single snap of div1 cfb.

When confronted with this obvious problem you then state it doesn't matter because you can "feel" he has the IT factor. Furthermore you then claim if anyone else can't "feel" his IT factor "you don't have a nose for football".

I don't want the gloves to come off with you Hujan. Surely you can see you're stretching things just a little bit don't you think?

As I've already mentioned, I'm neutral on this whole "who should start at QB?" debate. Whatever the coaches decide, I'll support.

With that in mind, I've glossed over several threads from this same time last year and the similarities in their arguments to this thread is eerie. Just substitute some names here and there and the song is the same.

Those who cite Carnes' lack of "real game" experience at the college level among other things, also said the same exact thing about Martinez last year around this time. Therefore the reasoning is flawed in this whole argument.

If you feel like re-living this debate from last year, these two threads among many others are fun to read.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/45039-qb-race/ (@ bshirt, read post #55)

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/45541-qb-race/ (@ bshirt, read post #139) <--- Particularly the last paragraph when you said:

Give me a qb who has an upside over that any day of the week. Results beats experience.

Hey bshirt, not trying to pick on you here, but essentially what Hujan is arguing for Carnes in this thread is what you were arguing for Martinez last year in those threads I've linked above. Again, I've no interest in who ends up getting the starting job. I'm only pointing out the flaws in the argument itself. You and Hujan will continue to disagree and that's fine. I'm just merely pointing out that you're both agreeing on the same thing, but from different years.

• Fire 3

1. Still Injured? Check

2. Still throwing off back foot? Check

3. Still Stares down receivers? Check

4. Still Has no progression ability? Check

5. Still has Accuracy issues? Check

6. Still No Pocket presence? Check

7. Still Has no drop back routine? Check

8. Still has Issues getting rid of ball (Instead scampers around trying to run when he has no clue where defenders are, getting thrown to the ground in the process)? Check

9. Still Low Football IQ? Check

10. Still Has trouble breaking down coverages? Check

11. Game management issues. (Here is one thing he's a little better at.)

12. etc...

13. "Will start barring injury throughout 2011?" che.... um maybe not.

But what's so funny about this is, all of that (minus the "low football IQ," which you can't possibly judge from your easy chair) can be explained by two words: Redshirt Freshman.

And the alternative is to start........................................................... another Redshirt Freshman.

Who, when IT hits the fan, may very well:

Get injured

Throw off his back foot

Stare down a receiver

Have no progression ability

Have accuracy issues

Have no pocket presence

Have no drop-back routine

Have issues getting rid of the ball

Have trouble breaking down coverage

Have game management issues

Etc

But despite all that, he's better than the guy who we had last year, and we know that because he had gaudy High School film (and we'll forget that the last guy had that, too) and because we saw him run 20 plays in a scrimmage.

Leadership? Nope.

Durable? Not quite.

bshirt,

I agree in part with what you're saying. You're right that Carnes has not played a down yet and you're right that his ultimate value is therefore an unknown.

But you're mistaken in (1) saying that I am attributing great things to Carnes, and (2) that all we have to go on are his high school tapes.

Regarding the first point, all I am saying is that Carnes has a few fundamental tools in the toolbox that Martinez does not have and which make him a candidate for a quality QB. In particular, Carnes seems to deal with pressure in the pocket very well and shows poise rolling out of the pocket and making throws on the run. He seems to throw a good ball, too.

Now there are many, many other things he'll need to succeed as a QB. For all we know, he could never grasp the offense or know how to dissect coverages. He might freak out in the heat of the moment. He might suck at working through progressions. But there are a couple things that you can already see that are encouraging, particularly his ability to throw on the run.

As to the second point, our confidence in Carnes' fundamentals is based on more than his high school tapes. In addition to his game footage from high school, we have the fact that he was the scout team MVP, which, if you think about it, is nothing more than an acknowledgment of a kid's fundamentals and/or raw athletic talent. And, of course, all our expectations regarding Carnes' fundamentals and confidence in the pocket were confirmed during his spring game performance.

So, in Carnes, you have a kid whom we can be reasonably certain has good throwing mechanics, confidence in the pocket, and the ability to throw on the run.

At the same time, I was very disappointed that Martinez is still having difficulty with his release and throwing off his back foot. I am also really disappointed that he is still dealing with that ankle injury. I may be in the minority, but I believe that even at 100%, Martinez is only an above average QB. I just don't think you'll see teams that blown away by his running ability anymore. With the injury, he is probably in the bottom 15%.

So, in summary, I don't think that Carnes is the second coming, but I do see a lot of promising fundamentals. As for the "IT" factor, there is just something about some players that you can sense. You can sort of feel that they are special. Turner has it in spades. Is there anyone who doesn't believe he is going to be one of the most exciting offensive players we've had come through here in the last decade? He just has "it." I sense a lot of that in Carnes as well. Maybe not as much, but there is something there for sure.

And maybe the most encouraging thing of all is that the chemistry between him and Turner was palpable. I can see those two being a tandem.

• Fire 1

Nexus, I feel pretty much the same way. Thanks for digging up the research on that - I was too lazy to. You really are a machine! Here's a relink to his post, in case it's gotten buried under the quick replies after that. In summary:

With that in mind, I've glossed over several threads from this same time last year and the similarities in their arguments to this thread is eerie. Just substitute some names here and there and the song is the same.

Those who cite Carnes' lack of "real game" experience at the college level among other things, also said the same exact thing about Martinez last year around this time. Therefore the reasoning is flawed in this whole argument.

The thing about Taylor is yes, he was a redshirt freshman, but some of these issues are the sort that really might not go away. It's very different from let's say, a redshirt freshman Landry Jones (130.83 rating) or a true freshman Matt Barkley (131.32 rating). Taylor had a 138.78 rating as a RFr, but he isn't about to approach either of those guys in passing prowess. On the other hand - just as he will probably always struggle with some of the quarterbacking aspects of the game, he will always have that electric running threat (health concerns aside).

So more than his youth, I look at it as what his skills profile is, and that's something that won't change. I think a few of the points CornfedChris hit on are spot on, and Taylor will have to continue compensating for that with pure athleticism. It's just what we live with when we go with this type of a QB, and West Virginia "lived with" Pat White all the way to a BCS bowl game or something.

But I'll grimace when the "we rely on the big play" criticisms keep coming. That's the pill we chose and looks like we are still choosing; explosive potential over methodical management, the latter of which is more feminine or something. So I wish people wouldn't be so surprised when the big play potential we are counting to get out of the new offense, is exactly what we get out of it.

(he had a month to heal and work out his issues of mechanics,

Honestly, it's not easy to do both of those things at the same time. You're not going to fix your footwork on a bum ankle, and it's going to take longer to heal if you're running around on it. Everyone keeps slamming Martinez for this, but it's coach Bo who should be getting criticized.

And a month isn't long enough to work either of those things out, even if you're doing just one at a time. Period. He's only human ffs.

Good and reasonable points. When I say that TMart has not progressed, it was not an indictment --- as if somehow he is remiss in not getting better --- his real-world context for improving is less than ideal --- as you rightly point out. When I say that he has not progressed, it is, however, a statement of fact (well.. opinion based upon observation). That is, why he has not progressed is not so much the point... that he has not progressed is the point. The question then is... does his lack of progression to this point mean he will still have not progressed by the time the season starts? I can't say... I hope he does.

until tmart is fully healed he wont progress much passing the football. its hard to get better when you cant drive your foot in ground like your supposed too. and if he tries to change his throwing habits without being able to work on his footwork then he his going to develop even worse habits then he already has now. it would be counter productive. give the kid a break. i gurantee that he is working his a** off trying to get better and healthy at the same time. all we can really do is hope that he gets better and succeeds, and if he doesnt then that someone else will step in and get the job done, and that tmart will then get moved to wr or somewhere else on the field and he succeeds there.