Taylor Martinez Sports Science

I think it's tough to hang too much on even one awful scrimmage performance. It was only one after all, and it's the whole body of work that you look at. Additionally, Sam McKewon has that theory of Taylor being stacked up against worse than Carnes and Kellogg faced, as well as getting that blindside corner blitz called and being affected by lack of cohesion on the offensive unit. Combined with not being close to our real offense that is being installed, I don't think it is a very good indicator of much...

Especially since Carnes is not close to having picked up the whole offense. I am one of the biggest fans of Carnes' skills on this board, but I have to say I am completely against the idea of him starting next year because it does not seem to be a good situation for him, and consequently, the team. We don't start a player who is still picking up the offense like he is, unless we have to, because there will be growing pains. Everything about Carnes right now screams "player who needs more seasoning/waiting in the wings." If we assert him as a starter in front of last year's incumbent, it's setting him up to fail.

I felt sort of similar about Taylor last year, only without being a fan of Taylor's skillset.

I think one thing we did see in the spring game...Taylor's not that great at rollout passes. Yeah, he had a completion, and I only have access to some highlight and fancams, but look at Taylor throwing on the run and then look at Brion throwing on the run. It doesn't mean we can't have it at all as part of the offense; multiplicity in attack is good. But I don't expect it to be the centerpiece in Taylor's throwing arsenal.

Another thing, his injury. I believe someone mentioned that Taylor pushed himself into playing this spring in spite of the injury. Hopefully the layover until fall gives Taylor plenty of time to heal. And the bit about Taylor needing to realize that he has to improve his fundamentals...seeking out a QB coach is a very promising first step.

If forced to choose between a QB with more solid passing skills but less familiarity with the offense or a QB with crappy throwing abilities who is more familiar with the offense, I'd take the former every time.

Your point about it being one scrimmage would have some value if T-Mart and Green looked good to end last year, and came out flat in the scrimmage. The problem for many fans like me is that the spring game seemed to confirm our worst fears: Green and Martinez have not improved at all from last December.

Good. You can have Sam Keller. I'll take Tommie Frazier. :facepalm:

Also, I'll take the coaches and players word (who have said it multiple times) over your armchair QB analysis.

Great, you can take Taylor Martinez. I'll take Brion Carnes.

Cool. I'll take the Freshman All American, and you can have the Scout Team MVP. We know you would pick a one legged blind kid over Taylor, but that's ok.

Thats fine you can take the one legged Martinez. I will take the guy that will finish out the season as the starting QB.

Martinez's gf called she wants her man back.

I think it's tough to hang too much on even one awful scrimmage performance. It was only one after all, and it's the whole body of work that you look at. Additionally, Sam McKewon has that theory of Taylor being stacked up against worse than Carnes and Kellogg faced, as well as getting that blindside corner blitz called and being affected by lack of cohesion on the offensive unit. Combined with not being close to our real offense that is being installed, I don't think it is a very good indicator of much...

Especially since Carnes is not close to having picked up the whole offense. I am one of the biggest fans of Carnes' skills on this board, but I have to say I am completely against the idea of him starting next year because it does not seem to be a good situation for him, and consequently, the team. We don't start a player who is still picking up the offense like he is, unless we have to, because there will be growing pains. Everything about Carnes right now screams "player who needs more seasoning/waiting in the wings." If we assert him as a starter in front of last year's incumbent, it's setting him up to fail.

I felt sort of similar about Taylor last year, only without being a fan of Taylor's skillset.

I think one thing we did see in the spring game...Taylor's not that great at rollout passes. Yeah, he had a completion, and I only have access to some highlight and fancams, but look at Taylor throwing on the run and then look at Brion throwing on the run. It doesn't mean we can't have it at all as part of the offense; multiplicity in attack is good. But I don't expect it to be the centerpiece in Taylor's throwing arsenal.

Another thing, his injury. I believe someone mentioned that Taylor pushed himself into playing this spring in spite of the injury. Hopefully the layover until fall gives Taylor plenty of time to heal. And the bit about Taylor needing to realize that he has to improve his fundamentals...seeking out a QB coach is a very promising first step.

If forced to choose between a QB with more solid passing skills but less familiarity with the offense or a QB with crappy throwing abilities who is more familiar with the offense, I'd take the former every time.

Your point about it being one scrimmage would have some value if T-Mart and Green looked good to end last year, and came out flat in the scrimmage. The problem for many fans like me is that the spring game seemed to confirm our worst fears: Green and Martinez have not improved at all from last December.

Also, I'll take the coaches and players word (who have said it multiple times) over your armchair QB analysis.

LOL at this. Keller had a retarded short-arm throwing motion. He shot putted them balls. And I'm the one campaigning for Frazier's cousin to start! Ha!

LOL at this. Keller had a retarded short-arm throwing motion. He shot putted them balls. And I'm the one campaigning for Frazier's cousin to start! Ha!

And yet... he looked like Peyton Manning next to Frazier throwing the ball.

Cool. I'll take the Freshman All American, and you can have the Scout Team MVP. We know you would pick a one legged blind kid over Taylor, but that's ok.

Thats fine you can take the one legged Martinez. I will take the guy that will finish out the season as the starting QB.

Keep driving that hate train. We know you don't care for things like stats or the opinions of those that matter, like the coaches that see him every day, or his fing teammates. Did you register benchtaylormartinez.com yet? You've probably got a Ray Finkel-esque bedroom with pictures of Taylor everywhere.

• Fire 1

Keep driving that hate train. We know you don't care for things like stats or the opinions of those that matter, like the coaches that see him every day, or his fing teammates. Did you register benchtaylormartinez.com yet? You've probably got a Ray Finkel-esque bedroom with pictures of Taylor everywhere.

I dont care about stats because they can be misleading, however the film never lies. Who gives a crap about what he did against Okie Light or KSUcks. Those teams were absolutely terrible and junior high team couldve cut threw that defense with a butter knife. Everybody makes the same excuse for him every game, its either he is a freshman or he is hurt. By CCG and bowl game he should have been healthy to pose a threat, he looked absolutely lost out their in those games. By game 13 a freshman is not a freshman anymore. Even in the spring game you heard the samething about Taylor, lack of pocket presence, poor footwork, throws off the back foot, still lofts the ball like a shotput. You know our coaches are really great at coach speak, why I should take everything they say to heart.

I think your just p***ed off because I have different opinion than you. Thats fine I can handle it, but I believe your taking it to another level. You pretty much think Taylor is the greatest thing to come to Nebraska since Bob Devaney, you probably thought the samething about Callahan.

Nice Ace Ventura reference. :facepalm:

Zac Lee is dreamy, isn't he? :wub:

Totally going to bed after this, but I have to say this:

In person, Zac is a strikingly handsome guy. I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to take the teasing that's probably going to earn me, but straight up, Zac is very good-looking.

It's late, I'm at work, and strangely enough I've noticed that knapplc has quite the man-crush on Zac Lee and Niles Paul. I think he's mentioned how good looking both of 'em are this week...

What's sad is I'm actually jealous you get the opportunity to even bump into Husker players-man I miss Nebraska

I dont care about stats because they can be misleading, however the film never lies. Who gives a crap about what he did against Okie Light or KSUcks. Those teams were absolutely terrible and junior high team couldve cut threw that defense with a butter knife. Everybody makes the same excuse for him every game, its either he is a freshman or he is hurt. By CCG and bowl game he should have been healthy to pose a threat, he looked absolutely lost out their in those games. By game 13 a freshman is not a freshman anymore. Even in the spring game you heard the samething about Taylor, lack of pocket presence, poor footwork, throws off the back foot, still lofts the ball like a shotput. You know our coaches are really great at coach speak, why I should take everything they say to heart.

I think your just p***ed off because I have different opinion than you. Thats fine I can handle it, but I believe your taking it to another level. You pretty much think Taylor is the greatest thing to come to Nebraska since Bob Devaney, you probably thought the samething about Callahan.

Nice Ace Ventura reference. :facepalm:

I'm not pissed because you have a different opinion. I'm giving you a hard time because you're using bullsh#t logic, ignoring facts, and simply making stuff up. You want to throw out all the good stuff he did, and only focus on the negative. You're completely ignoring the fact that the healthy Taylor played damn well, and the injured one did not. That's kind of a huge factor when you are a mobile QB. You're so quick to dismiss the OSU game, yet, he played better against them than Landry Jones. You know, the QB of the Big 12 Champs?

You just took it to another level by throwing Callahan into the argument as well. Nice one. You backed yourself into a corner with false logic and lies, and now you're throwing anything to the wall and hoping it sticks. The fact of the matter is, you're a Taylor Martinez hater.

I want the player who gives us the best chance to win to start, period. Last year, I thought that person was Zac Lee, but I was wrong. Taylor showed flashes of brilliance. So far, from what I've seen, I think that person is still Taylor. So do the coaches. He was far from perfect last year. But I'm hoping he improves on his shortcomings, because that makes us better as a team.

You know what, it's not even worth it. The truth is, haters are gonna hate, not matter what. Who gives a flying sh#t about things like facts and evidence. Personal bias is all that matters. GG Husker nation. Good %$#(#% Job.

Exactly. Haters gotta hate.

Huskerscott and his blind mob don't give rat's ass about facts and evidence. They'll hate Tmart until the sun implodes. Nothing can ever change that.

You know what, it's not even worth it. The truth is, haters are gonna hate, not matter what. Who gives a flying sh#t about things like facts and evidence. Personal bias is all that matters. GG Husker nation. Good %$#(#% Job.

Huskerscott and his blind mob don't give rat's ass about facts and evidence. They'll hate Tmart until the sun implodes. Nothing can ever change that.

Who cares? His views are his views, your views are your views. People hate Brett Favre. People hate Peyton Manning. And those are some of the best QBs of all time. Did you think everyone was gonna love Taylor after the way he finished last year and if you answer yes, your lying to yourself.

• Fire 1

Who cares? His views are his views, your views are your views. People hate Brett Favre. People hate Peyton Manning. And those are some of the best QBs of all time. Did you think everyone was gonna love Taylor after the way he finished last year and if you answer yes, your lying to yourself.

Come on now Po havent you seen enough of bshirts posts to realize that he will ride in on his white horse to defend anything and everything that is Taylor Martinez. :madash

I guess if you have any critical things to say about Martinez then you fall into the blind mob. What are the people on the other side of the spectrum called then? :dunno

• Fire 2

We should institute a ban on starting QB talk until Camp starts to let everyone simmer down. There won't be any new news about who starts, and all we're going to do is gnaw on the bones of the same old arguments we've gone over 100 times already.

We gotta remember that we're all Husker Fans. Everyone wants what's best for the team, we just have different views.

I swear, over a beer these same conversations wouldn't take on nearly this kind of tone.