Is there any reason to be nervous?

Personally I think we are over paying him and worry about what will happen if he does pan out to deserve what he is getting.

With his temper problems, I do not believe he is a viable candidate for most top echelon programs. If he wins a NC and learns to control his temper then he deserves what we are paying him. I am not upset about what we pay him by any means, but do not feel it is a wise move. You would not reward a out of control employee like that no matter what his upside is. I know coaching is somewhat different than the real world.

I still feel he will get it under control and earn what we are paying him. If he drags two or three NC in then I could care less how much they pay him, but I would rather see accomplishments before giving away the barn.

I don't think we are overpaying him. I think we're paying him a lower salary than a lot of other coaches around the nation. And I think this move is a strong "we're getting behind you, Bo" gesture, one that was necessary after the issues surfacing after the A&M game, and one that we can afford. I'm glad the checkbook was opened up in this one. It doesn't mean that Bo is not on thin ice for those issues, but a HC can't operate properly without feeling his AD and school are behind him. I don't think Bo felt that for a while, and hopefully now he has reason to again.

I do think the AD & Chancellor probably hold Bo to the same standards you do, skersfan, and have the same analysis. But I also think there wasn't any way around this upgraded deal, it was important for it to get done.

ESPN is reporting that Ohio State could be facing sever sanctions over Tressel's lying to the NCAA. I am beginning to believe that Tressel's job could be in jeopardy and a couple of guys that work with me were talking about who the leading candidate would be and we all agree that Pelini might be at the top of their wish list if they had to fire Tressel. Not trying to stir the pot because it doesn't matter anymore, I was just trying to get a feel if any of you guys were having the same thoughts or not?

I've heard some other sports news folks talking about this situation. They say that Bo would NOT be at the top of the list-probably like 3rd or 4th. No worries mate-not after the wad UNL just gave him!

we are paying him for his potential and the fact there are few other desirable coaches available.

Bo has won no real signature wins so far.....that needs to change and WA 2.0 type performances as well.

agree with your first statement. we are paying him for potential. it's obviously not entirely potential as we've got real results in the way he's running the program, recruiting kids with character and demanding excellence on and off the field.

as to the signature wins, that's pretty subjective. he obviously hasn't pulled off a huge one yet, but there's an old quote of TO's that goes something like the big games are the ones you lose, meaning it's easy to gloss over the wins after you get them. i would say the last two wins over mizzou were pretty big. they allowed us to reclaim supremacy in the north and kick mizzou back into their place. do those wins belong in the pantheon of all time NU wins? of course not. but they're still big wins.

i do agree that washington part II can't happen again. we've been pretty snake bitten with quarterback injuries the last couple of years (amongst other offensive issues). hopefully we can finally get past that and have some offensive success to match the best coached defense in the nation.

as to those saying that bo is out of control... :LOLtartar

We definitely got big wins last year. Like #6 Missouri. Harder to remember that as a signature win because we sort of Roy Helu-ed their asses. For all the talk of all those years when we couldn't beat Top 20 teams, finally we beat a couple last year and now they're all being glossed over. Which goes to show how meaningless of a standard the whole 'top 20 teams' thing was in the first place.

We definitely got big wins last year. Like #6 Missouri. Harder to remember that as a signature win because we sort of Roy Helu-ed their asses. For all the talk of all those years when we couldn't beat Top 20 teams, finally we beat a couple last year and now they're all being glossed over. Which goes to show how meaningless of a standard the whole 'top 20 teams' thing was in the first place.

lets be honest, we as husker fans tend to down play alot of things and blow things out of the water too. someone who isnt a husker fan would say we had a couple damn good wins last year, and also we sucked it up sometimes too, but overall we were a pretty good team

Personally I think we are over paying him and worry about what will happen if he does pan out to deserve what he is getting.

With his temper problems, I do not believe he is a viable candidate for most top echelon programs. If he wins a NC and learns to control his temper then he deserves what we are paying him. I am not upset about what we pay him by any means, but do not feel it is a wise move. You would not reward a out of control employee like that no matter what his upside is. I know coaching is somewhat different than the real world.

I still feel he will get it under control and earn what we are paying him. If he drags two or three NC in then I could care less how much they pay him, but I would rather see accomplishments before giving away the barn.

Oddly the majority of the nation doesn't really see Bo as having a "temper problem" but more as a passion for the game. Hell OSU compares his temper with Woody Hayes and that guy is considered God there. When he was up for the Michigan job they were comparing him to Bo Schembechler's fire for the game. Its really only Nebraska that's making a big deal of it. And I guarantee if TO hadn't been so dry, it would be but a small blip. Most of you never saw Bob Devaney coach. He chewed major ass regularly and we loved it. And most of you don't remember TO's biggest criticism from the fans and media was that he didn't have enough passion for the game. So people aren't going to be happy no matter what Bo's temperament is. I just know that far more people want that kind of temperament in their coach than despise it.

ESPN is reporting that Ohio State could be facing sever sanctions over Tressel's lying to the NCAA. I am beginning to believe that Tressel's job could be in jeopardy and a couple of guys that work with me were talking about who the leading candidate would be and we all agree that Pelini might be at the top of their wish list if they had to fire Tressel. Not trying to stir the pot because it doesn't matter anymore, I was just trying to get a feel if any of you guys were having the same thoughts or not?

I've heard some other sports news folks talking about this situation. They say that Bo would NOT be at the top of the list-probably like 3rd or 4th. No worries mate-not after the wad UNL just gave him!

I'd have to think that OSU would command a proven coach with multiple conference championships under his belt --- and perhaps a MNC to boot. Bo does not meet the criteria... not yet. Bo is a potentially good coach... but not proven. He may be able to make a program into a perennial nationally-competitive team... perhaps... it is just that he has not done so yet.

I'd have to think that OSU would command a more prominent, more proven coach. Then again... you never know. But I too would be surprised if Bo would be all that attractive to OSU. That said, being a alum, a local... if they could not land that great proven coach... Bo does have the intangibles (like being a grad from there, a local). One can never tell. So.. modest unease is perhaps called for... but Bo would not be on their A list --- there is some solace in that.

I'd have to think that OSU would command a proven coach with multiple conference championships under his belt --- and perhaps a MNC to boot. Bo does not meet the criteria... not yet. Bo is a potentially good coach... but not proven. He may be able to make a program into a perennial nationally-competitive team... perhaps... it is just that he has not done so yet.

I'd have to think that OSU would command a more prominent, more proven coach. Then again... you never know. But I too would be surprised if Bo would be all that attractive to OSU. That said, being a alum, a local... if they could not land that great proven coach... Bo does have the intangibles (like being a grad from there, a local). One can never tell. So.. modest unease is perhaps called for... but Bo would not be on their A list --- there is some solace in that.

Ummm. . . look no further than Michigan who got Brady Hoke. Not exactly a big name who had lots of championships. I doubt OSU gets there pick of the litter anyway. Even Tressel wasn't a big name at the time. If they don't get Urban (2nd choice) they'll look at the Mid Majors for an up'n commer. They've put out feelers and know who's interested. Bo isn't one of them anymore.

Well being around the program for over 50 years I have seen Devaney and Osborne. But I also live out of the state and hear the comments about him from fans of SC and UCLA. I also read the comments when he was mentioned for the LSU job during last season.

He is consider by many an accident waiting to happen, not for chewing on players but his actions against refs and other coaches.

I love his fire and intensity, but he has to learn to control it. He knows it, but because of his past it would hurt his chances at Ohio State I think, or any other major program. He is not politically correct so to speak. He will get there I think, but he is not going anywhere anytime soon is my guess.

You can worry all you want about him being a huge get, but I do not see, as he has not won anything but the Big 12 North, which by most was one of the bigger joke divisions. He wins the Big Ten a few times and plays for a NC his stock will rise and most likely quickly. Universities will be willing to take a chance on him then, but not now. Which makes me happy that I do not have to worry about him leaving.

Ummm. . . look no further than Michigan who got Brady Hoke. Not exactly a big name who had lots of championships. I doubt OSU gets there pick of the litter anyway. Even Tressel wasn't a big name at the time. If they don't get Urban (2nd choice) they'll look at the Mid Majors for an up'n commer. They've put out feelers and know who's interested. Bo isn't one of them anymore.

I've said this a few times but now I will give ordering. Here's how I think they might pursue a new head coach in this order.

Luke Fickell

Urban Meyer

Darrell Hazell

Mark D'Antonio

John Gruden

Bo Pelini