Obama to announce Osama is dead

Agree. Im wondering how much of this was actually staged for the sake of TV audience. Remember when we took over Baghdad???? Umm well, that was all staged. The perimeter of the city was secured 4 days before the the tanks rolled in and we knocked the statue down. I dont have first hand knowledge, but was told recently from someone who was there that was actually what went down.

Why I ask is video coverage of inside the compound being released to news outlets. The special forces and Navy seals are a heroic bunch, alot of what they do is really secertive and incognitio, the stuff the public doesnt need to know about. Most dont even want to be recognize for what they have accomplished, they look at it as an everyday job.

Except that the raid wasn't televised, nor has camera footage of the raid been leaked. The ABC video from inside the compound was taken a day after the raid. That doesn't have anything to do with the SEALs.

Yes you are right. I just didnt see the point with letting Tv cameras after the fact. I read that the government has had knowledge since August, why did it take till May to attack. I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack. All this will do is piss off the Al-Qaieda.

I dont think people should look at this a HUGE victory, even though Osama is dead. This doesnt mean the troops are coming home, actually I think it means they will be their even longer, its like fighting sand in a wal-mart parking lot as someone eluded too. You get one chunk, then their is another, another, then another, then even more. Also when one guy goes down, their is ton of guys in the pecking order to take over. Our government has committed to this fighting this thing to the bitter end. Now, that we got the lead dog they are gonna keep going after every single member until they are dead from gunfire or old age.

I read that the government has had knowledge since August, why did it take till May to attack. I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack. All this will do is piss off the Al-Qaieda.

Why do you doubt the president made the call? Who else do you think would be able to authorize an attack by U.S. forces in the sovereign land of another country?

It took until May to attack because we never saw bin Laden in the compound. We figured he was there, exactly how I don't know, but they decided they had enough proof to do it, and the correct timing probably had a lot to do with the fact that it was a New Moon over Islamabad last night. They're blind in the dark - our Special Ops can see just fine.

Apparently we were going to bomb the site in March with stealth bombers but they decided they wanted to have confirmation, and 500lb bombs tend to make more of a mess.

I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack. All this will do is piss off the Al-Qaieda.

You do realize that the President makes the call to go to war or not. I'm 100% sure he would make the call to attack the compund that Osama was held up in.

I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack. All this will do is piss off the Al-Qaieda.

You do realize that the President makes the call to go to war or not. I'm 100% sure he would make the call to attack the compund that Osama was held up in.

Yes I realize that. Im saying an attack on a compound, in a country we have already invaded, really doesnt need his permission. It may have been suggested to him that we need to attack, but he didnt make the 100% call, that was my argument is all.

Given Knapplc's information about the Islamic moon, i thinking this has been planned for awhile.

Sucks to be al-Qaeda right now.

LINK[updated 12:27 p.m. ET] Senior defense officials said that for a majority of the 40 minute operation at the Abbottobad compound, special forces were involved in a firefight - clearing their way through two other floors before they reached Osama bin Laden.

Bin Laden was not killed until the last five to ten minutes of the firefight, officials said.

Bin Laden and his family lived on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the 3-story building, and those floors were cleared last, the official said. The official says one of bin Laden’s own wives identified his body to U.S. forces, after the team made visual identification themselves.

U.S. forces also recovered what a senior Intelligence official is calling “quite a bit of material.”

“There’s a robust collection of materials we need to sift through, and we hope to find valuable intelligence that will lead us to other players in al Qaeda," a senior intelligence official said.

The official added a Task Force has been set up “because of the sheer volume of material collected. That material is currently being exploited and analyzed.”

This is probably another very good explanation for why we didn't just nuke the site from orbit. All those papers. I'll bet they found some pretty interesting things. Those documents could set al-Qaeda back more than bin Laden's death.

Why do you doubt the president made the call? Who else do you think would be able to authorize an attack by U.S. forces in the sovereign land of another country?

:yeah

The final call was President Obama's. He made the correct decision. Kudos to him. (not a small decision either. Doing this without permission in a sovereign nation on potentially shaky intelligence was a gutsy, gutsy, move. Well played, sir.)

Yes I realize that. Im saying an attack on a compound, in a country we have already invaded, really doesnt need his permission. It may have been suggested to him that we need to attack, but he didnt make the 100% call, that was my argument is all.

Given Knapplc's information about the Islamic moon, i thinking this has been planned for awhile.

We have not invaded Pakistan.

I think it's an exaggeration to say that we invaded Pakistan. It sounds like we might have had ~200 troops on the ground at any given time. Is it still an invasion if the host country could wipe your little force off the map if it chose to do so? If anything, it sounds like those troops were operating with the consent of Pakistan. Contrastingly, it sounds like the US did not seek permission of any kind to go after bin Laden. (Which I support. Couldn't risk him being tipped off.)

I am pretty sure that I heard that the president told them not to blow the place it up, because it would be to difficult to locate the body under all of the rubble. So the mission that succeeded was a go unless it was going to fail and then they had full permission to blow the place. Also, getting Bin Ladden is a huge deal, is it done no and only the naive thinks that it is all over. But, that doesn't mean we quit or not try to take out the most dangerous under him as well. God Bless America and Thank You to all of the Vets Future, Past, and Present!!!

• Fire 1

I think it's an exaggeration to say that we invaded Pakistan. It sounds like we might have had ~200 troops on the ground at any given time. Is it still an invasion if the host country could wipe your little force off the map if it chose to do so? If anything, it sounds like those troops were operating with the consent of Pakistan. Contrastingly, it sounds like the US did not seek permission of any kind to go after bin Laden. (Which I support. Couldn't risk him being tipped off.)

Yes, I believe Pakistans are working with us alittle more now. Isnt one of the leaders being held at G-bay in Cuba, maybe thats why. Which could have gave us permission to enter Pakistan to attack Bin Laden.

I am pretty sure that I heard that the president told them not to blow the place it up, because it would be to difficult to locate the body under all of the rubble. So the mission that succeeded was a go unless it was going to fail and then they had full permission to blow the place. Also, getting Bin Ladden is a huge deal, is it done no and only the naive thinks that it is all over. But, that doesn't mean we quit or not try to take out the most dangerous under him as well. God Bless America and Thank You to all of the Vets Future, Past, and Present!!!

Not to blow it up to locate the body, and the also avoid any sort of civilian casualties.

The waited until May because the seal teams had to practice the operation multiple times a day to get it to perfection. Trust me, they ran through every scenario that could have happened there. Multiple choppers down, multiple casualties and wounded. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a ground transport team available in case the entire thing went haywire and other various extraction plans if needed.

Real life isn't call of duty where your team can just run and gun. I don't care if they knew about where he was for a year and they didn't strike until now. They got him with 0 casualties on the mission and with minimal collateral damage. Not to mention that by not bombing him they just unearthed a goldmine of information. It was also put up on twitter from one of the residents who live tweeted about the events without knowing in Abbotobad that the Pakistani military was conducting house by house searches of the surrounding area to uncover any other possible connections or leads.

• Fire 2