Obama to announce Osama is dead

knapplc...Keep drinking the news/government kool-aid my man

Because it will be funny - where do you get "the real" information? Which source, channel, website, etc?

When this came up on the news I read, listened, and then gave my opinion. I didn't hop on the internet or listen to what the news was saying. Honestly, right after I seen the announcement I said to my friends, wow this doesn't seem ironic or sketchy. Way too many "answers" need to be questioned---and maybe they will, but for now I'm not going to eat up the information from the news like a Hungry Hippo.

• Fire 1

Because it will be funny - where do you get "the real" information? Which source, channel, website, etc?

When this came up on the news I read, listened, and then gave my opinion. I didn't hop on the internet or listen to what the news was saying. Honestly, right after I seen the announcement I said to my friends, wow this doesn't seem ironic or sketchy. Way too many "answers" need to be questioned---and maybe they will, but for now I'm not going to eat up the information from the news like a Hungry Hippo.

What?

• Fire 2

Some people will never believe what is said and no matter what they wont believe. Dead body or not, he is dead lets move on.

The same people who believe 9/11 was an inside job. The same people who believe the moon landing was fake.

Some people will always fight what they are told. I am not saying to follow blindly but some will never believe.

What?

Ha. A little bad wording, but just stating I had my own opinion when I heard the news about Osama. I didn't go off people's opinions on web sites. I wont truly believe this until they give me some real evidence. And if they do I will. I'm not someone who will never believe.

There is always a reason for us to go into war. We have been a country of war every since we started. If people truly believe that this war was about "Terrorism" they are mistaken. Its always been about the money. And not EVERY conspiracy is true. But not EVERY conspiracy is false. We have done unreal things to people in our time that a lot of people don't know about. This being one of them. LINK

No this has nothing to do with the war now, but if we can do this to people than what can't we do. Yes, it was racism that has come along way, but lets get real.

I had my own opinion when I heard the news about Osama. I didn't go off people's opinions on web sites.

I have bad news for you. You're going to have to take someone's word for this at some point, because unless you're a really good deep-sea diver, you're never going to see anything first-hand.

You have to think critically about this. There would be signs that this wasn't real. Some (but not all) would be:

• Al-Qaeda would have issued a denial of death.
  • Osama himself would have made a video with proof of life.
  • SEAL Team Six would tell the press, "Ummmmm.... no we didn't."
  • Other nations and their intelligence services would be crying foul - especially those nations who are not our allies.
  • The Pakistani government wouldn't be pissed that we conducted a raid in their country.
  • An actual "raid" of some kind would have to be staged in a city mere yards away from a foreign nation's military training academy.
  • Some form of landing of a plane carrying a secret cargo would have had to be staged on the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson to fool the sailors.
  • A burial ceremony of sorts would have to be conducted aboard the Carl Vinson, again to fool the sailors.

For this to be untrue it would have to be not just a lie, but a tremendous lie, a lie so big that it would dwarf pretty much every lie every president has told since Taft claimed, "It's just water weight!" Think about what happened here:

A president who knows that he is speaking about Public Enemy #1 would have to have gone on national TV and addressed not only the American people, but the world, and during that address he would have had to state in no unequivocal terms that the world's most wanted man is dead -
all the while knowing he's telling a bald-faced lie
. The story behind the intelligence would have to be faked, the actual raid would have to be staged (locals heard it and tweeted about it), the whole episode on the USS Carl Vinson would have to be faked, and sundry other details would have to be staged, faked or altogether lied about.

Now, is it easier to believe that all of that happened, or that we got a lead from a Gitmo prisoner, it took years to build on that lead, more years to narrow it down, and once narrowed down, we inserted a team into the compound to take the guy out, and that once we got him (or more specifically, his body) out, that we took his remains to a safe place (the USS Carl Vinson) to be photographed and ID'd, and then disposed of his body?

There are about 500 people, from locals in Pakistan to transportation folks to the actual team to people on the USS Carl Vinson who would be able to blow the lid off this. Al-Qaeda or bin Laden himself could blow the lid off this. Other countries with whom bin Laden has discourse could blow the lid off this. There are so many loose ends it's comical, but here we are nearly 48 hours after the raid, and nothing's come out yet.

Think about it. Think critically, as you claim you do. Which is more believable, that it actually happened, or that it didn't? And if you think it's more believable that it didn't, what do you base that on if not news you've heard on TV or the Internet?

• Fire 2

This is the latest from the state department about the pics we have:

The senior us official also says the White House received 3 sets of photos yesterday. The photos included:

1. Photos of OBLs body at a hangar after he was brought back to Afghanistan. This is the most recognizable with a clear picture of his face. The picture is gruesome because he has a massive open head wound across both eyes. It’s very bloody and gory.

2. Photos from the burial at sea on the USS Carl Vinson. Photos of OBL before the shroud was put on and then wrapped in the shroud.

3. There are photos of the raid itself that include photos of the two dead brothers, one of OBLs dead son (adult adolescent, maybe approx 18 yrs old) and some of the inside scene of the compound.

The official says the challenge is that the picture that includes the most recognizable image of OBLs face – from the hangar in Afghanistan – is so gruesome and mangled its not appropriate for say the front page of the newspaper. On the other hand, this is the one that is most identifiable as him.

Details about the assault on the compound:

LINK

The operation took place at a fortified compound on the outskirts of Abbottabad in north-west Pakistan.

It happened at some time between 0000 and 0130 local time on Monday morning (1900-2030 GMT on Sunday), dozens of local residents told a BBC reporter. The two US helicopters were seen flying low over the area, causing panic among some residents.

Residents describe hearing three explosions several minutes apart, followed by a huge explosion that shook their houses and knocked crockery from shelves. Most residents said they then also heard gunshots, but that the firing was brief, just a couple of minutes or so.

As the explosions started, they say, the lights in the area went off, going on and off again shortly afterwards. One report quotes some residents as saying they were commanded in Pashto - not the common language of the area - to turn their lights off, but this is unconfirmed.

It is believed that people inside the house fired at the helicopters, but eventually they were able to land or hover outside the compound, and the US commandos emerged from them.

US national security team watch Pakistan operation at the White House (2 May 2011) President Obama and his security team watched the operation in real time from the White House

US officials said that at some point in the operation one of the two helicopters developed a technical fault - witnesses said it might have been hit by gunfire from the ground. Rather than let it fall into the wrong hands, the commandos blew it up.

Regarding the bold part, about the length of time shots were heard - if I had to guess, I'd say ST6 cleared that house in ten minutes, tops. They would have had no interest in loitering in the area if there were a significant gunfight going on, especially since they were within a few hundred yards of the Pakistani version of West Point. They would likely not have met anyone capable of resisting them to much of a degree, and they would have taken care of business quickly so that bin Laden didn't jump out the back window or go down some hole, or whatever.

They took care of business on the first floor, cleared the remaining rooms, go to the third floor and found bin Laden cowering behind one of his wives, and took care of business.

After he was dispatched, they put his remains in the bag they brought, scoured the residence for information, and left. I would imagine the bulk of that 40 minutes was spent gathering hard drives, DVDs, information, etc, and not in actual factual gun battles.