Obama to announce Osama is dead

For nearly a decade, the United States has paid Pakistan more than $1 billion a year for counterterrorism operations whose chief aim was the killing or capture of Bin Laden, who slipped across the border from Afghanistan after the American invasion.

We were getting played by Pakistan or

we were on the same team

For nearly a decade, the United States has paid Pakistan more than $1 billion a year for counterterrorism operations whose chief aim was the killing or capture of Bin Laden, who slipped across the border from Afghanistan after the American invasion.

We were getting played by Pakistan or

we were on the same team

The problem with Pakistan is the internal government is fragmented. Their intelligence agency (same as our CIA) is at odds with their military. Their military is at odds with their civilian control and the military often sides with Tribal leaders. So, we've been giving them $1 billion to the civilian, military, and intelligence agencies but the agencies have been working against one another. It's hard to say we're being played by Pakistan. More so, we've been getting played by the Military while the intelligence and civilian agencies are on our side. However, they're really only on our side because the military chooses to be undermining to our interests.

For all his bluster and bullsh#t, the coward hid behind a woman:

[updated 2:30 p.m. ET] A woman shielded Osama bin Laden from gunfire during the assault by U.S. forces, President Barack Obama's top counterterrorism adviser said Monday.

"There was a female who was in fact in the line of fire that reportedly was used as a shield to shield bin Laden from the incoming fire," said John Brennan, Obama's adviser on homeland security and counterterrorism.

Brennan said it was his understanding that bin Laden picked up a weapon and was killed in the firefight with the U.S. forces carrying out the assault.

"He was engaged in a firefight," Brennan said of bin Laden. "Whether or not he got off any rounds, I don't know."

LINK

I also highly doubt the president made the call to attack. All this will do is piss off the Al-Qaieda.

You do realize that the President makes the call to go to war or not. I'm 100% sure he would make the call to attack the compund that Osama was held up in.

Yes I realize that. Im saying an attack on a compound, in a country we have already invaded, really doesnt need his permission. It may have been suggested to him that we need to attack, but he didnt make the 100% call, that was my argument is all.

Given Knapplc's information about the Islamic moon, i thinking this has been planned for awhile.

I think it's an exaggeration to say that we invaded Pakistan. It sounds like we might have had ~200 troops on the ground at any given time. Is it still an invasion if the host country could wipe your little force off the map if it chose to do so? If anything, it sounds like those troops were operating with the consent of Pakistan. Contrastingly, it sounds like the US did not seek permission of any kind to go after bin Laden. (Which I support. Couldn't risk him being tipped off.)

Yes, I believe Pakistans are working with us alittle more now. Isnt one of the leaders being held at G-bay in Cuba, maybe thats why. Which could have gave us permission to enter Pakistan to attack Bin Laden.

No you're speculating on too much. We have had a standing order with pakistan (or something to that effect) that if we have Bin Laden we would go in and get them. I don't think the Paki gov is upset that we went in and got him without his permission... if anything they may be embarrassed he was hiding A) in their country and 2)so close to their version of West Point

Osama Bin Laden is dead because he used his real address on his PSN account

LOL!

Kidding aside it's about time he got what was coming and I'm glad that taking him alive wasn't even an option. But now the wheels start churning on why we've given Pakistan $18 billion in aid, weapons and training while a faction in their military and / or intelligence service clearly had other ideas with OBL. Will be really interesting to see how the Pakistani people respond to this as well; the country is a powder keg with nuclear weapons torn between democracy, a quasi-junta and Islamic radicals essentially operating from a huge ungoverned space.

According to White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan one of his wives who was shot dead identified him as she shielded bin Laden. Now why would she do that. They also identified him through DNA from a hair sample but any time you do that it takes months and they already had it in a matter of hours. They need to release the photos already.

According to White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan one of his wives who was shot dead identified him as she shielded bin Laden. Now why would she do that. They also identified him through DNA from a hair sample but any time you do that it takes months and they already had it in a matter of hours. They need to release the photos already.

Not anymore. You can run DNA sequencing for ID purposes in hours, not months.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what DNA analysis has been done, but I can say this for certain—whatever method they used could be completed in a matter of hours given a lab ready to go and focused solely on this. Using commonplace PCR methods—which, for the record, is what I use in my lab every day—Bin Laden could easily be ID'd faster than you'd think. Heck, I can get DNA from a fish and turn it into sequences or genotypes in 24 hours, so I think the US government can work faster than me when time is of the essence. Allow me to explain how they could do it so quickly.

LINK

As for why the woman would ID him, I'm not sure. I'm guessing after you watch a team move inexorably through your house killing everyone around you with the precision of a neurosurgeon while suffering zero harm themselves, and they point a gun at you and ask you who that guy is over there, in the heat of the moment you'll likely be willing to tell them a thing or two that you normally wouldn't.