Osborne: Iowa-Nebraska will eventually be a rivalry

CEDAR RAPIDS — When Nebraska jumped into the Big Ten last summer, NU athletics director Tom Osborne said it would take time for an Iowa-Nebraska rivalry to take root.

Just because the schools share a border doesn’t guarantee a football rivalry.

“As far as rivalry, it seems like a lot of people are saying this will be a rivalry, this is natural and so on,” Osborne said Monday before he spoke the Eastern Iowa Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. “But rivalries usually occur when you don’t declare them rivalries. They occur over time.

Continue reading...

CEDAR RAPIDS — When Nebraska jumped into the Big Ten last summer, NU athletics director Tom Osborne said it would take time for an Iowa-Nebraska rivalry to take root.

“As far as rivalry, it seems like a lot of people are saying this will be a rivalry, this is natural and so on,” Osborne said Monday before he spoke the Eastern Iowa Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. “But rivalries usually occur when you don’t declare them rivalries. They occur over time.

Continue reading...

No doubt this will become a rivalry..... much like CU was and later Mizzou and Texas were.

Continue reading...

No doubt this will become a rivalry..... much like CU was and later Mizzou and Texas were.

It will be WAY bigger than those rivalries. I live in Iowa, trust me it will be a rivalry starting NOW.

Colorado was a rivalry for one game and then we just snubbed our noses at them. We never cared about that game unless it was a decision if we went to the CCG or not.

I hope Iowa doesn't turn out to be like CU. I would like to have my Turkey knowing that we have a good game waiting for us the next day instead of thinking it is just another day but at the stadium.

I live in Iowa and it will quickly become an intense rivalry. There is a sincere and (quite frankly) unfounded hatred for Nebraska here. I've been around Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Colorado fans and usually there is a hatred based on respect , but not here. Iowa is a far superior program and Ferentz is a hall of fame coach. We just can't compare in any way. Just ask any Hawkeye fan......

If one team wins most of the time it's no longer a rivlary. I never considered Colorado a true rival since we won most of the time. It's 49-18-2. that isn't a rivalry.

Exactly. And against Iowa it's 26-12-2. Not much of a rivalry there.

True, true, but you realize the last time they played Iowa just got a new coach and had been on the brink of becoming like MN. I am sure KF is ready for his rematch. Thats where all the Iowa pride comes in, they were not fit to play against the better high school teams for many years, now days (tap on wood) people cant seem to hang more than 7 (most of the time 3)on them when Iowa does lose. I know you all can relate to field goals at the end to win or lose. It's great if ya win, but you all know it stings when ya dont. Personally I am happy with the growth, are we the best, not by a long shot, can we play a good game, most of the time. We have a ton to do, but hopefully when we get to black friday, we can give you all a game.