The other side of the conference fence won't be so green for Nebraska????

The article says that Nebraska will have less success in the Big 10 than the Big 12 because the level of competition goes up, it claims that Nebraska will actually make less money than it would have in the Big 12, it implies that we won't be able to recruit good football players anymore without being in the same conference as Texas, and it implies that we left the Big 12 because we couldn't beat Texas and because Texas had too much political power within the conference.

The whole article is a veiled way of saying, "Stop worrying about that Nebraska girl that broke up with us last year, we're too good for them anyways."

I honestly could not have said it better Herc.

Bohls is showing his arse in this article by bending over to shake his finger at a runaway.

Almost all the years during the BIG 12 are forgettable for most husker fans, especially during the "Dark Times". Don't get me wrong we had some great athletes along the way but after the 90's run, something was bound to give. TO's retirement mostly. I am just glad we were smart enough to vote NO on the intial formation of the conference because we knew how agregious it was in favor of Texas. It's your conference Texas, do as u will, without us thou, for better or worse we are not one of your siblings any longer. Salute!

The clout? Texas still runs the Big 12, right? Nebraska just trades 600-pound gorillas, swapping Texas for political behemoths Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, all of which have $100 million-plus budgets, much more than the Huskers' $75 million.

seemingly true on the surface but one only needs to look at the revenue sharing of the big ten vs the big iix. TEN seems to have a better understanding of the old adage "you're only as strong as your weakest member". Ten is also more of a Union to the Big IIX's confederacy.

I think most people, certainly not just this article or Texas backers, seem to forget the primary motivation of why Nebraska left. As was said at the time, you don't make a decision like this simply because you don't get along with another member school.

We all know this: For Nebraska, it was all too real to envision a scenario in the very near future where CU and Mizzou left, leading to Texas bolting and dragging 4 others along. Nebraska had a legitimate fear of being left without a lifeboat if the ship sank, and backroom whispers were that the USS Big XII was headed straight for an ice field.

I still believe, that if Missouri hadn't initially leaked what now appears to have been overzealous speculation and wishful thinking (at least on their part), Nebraska would still be in the Big XII.

• Fire 1
The clout? Texas still runs the Big 12, right? Nebraska just trades 600-pound gorillas, swapping Texas for political behemoths Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, all of which have $100 million-plus budgets, much more than the Huskers' $75 million.

seemingly true on the surface but one only needs to look at the revenue sharing of the big ten vs the big iix. TEN seems to have a better understanding of the old adage "you're only as strong as your weakest member". Ten is also more of a Union to the Big IIX's confederacy.

I think most people, certainly not just this article or Texas backers, seem to forget the primary motivation of why Nebraska left. As was said at the time, you don't make a decision like this simply because you don't get along with another member school.

We all know this: For Nebraska, it was all too real to envision a scenario in the very near future where CU and Mizzou left, leading to Texas bolting and dragging 4 others along. Nebraska had a legitimate fear of being left without a lifeboat if the ship sank, and backroom whispers were that the USS Big XII was headed straight for an ice field.

I still believe, that if Missouri hadn't initially leaked what now appears to have been overzealous speculation and wishful thinking (at least on their part), Nebraska would still be in the Big XII.

I agree with this had Mizzou not been openly flirting with the Big 10 no way would Nebraska be out of the Big 12. Mizzou begged and pleaded and we got the offer and Nebraska was just tired of the crap of the big 12

Missouri doesn't have the football brand that the Big 10 wanted. The Big 10 was looking at programs like Texas, Notre Dame, and Nebraska. Missouri doesn't enter that discussion, no matter how well they could have handled the situation.

edit: my bad, you guys might have just meant that if Missouri hadn't had one foot out the door, Nebraska wouldn't have started looking to begin with...

The article says that Nebraska will have less success in the Big 10 than the Big 12 because the level of competition goes up, it claims that Nebraska will actually make less money than it would have in the Big 12, it implies that we won't be able to recruit good football players anymore without being in the same conference as Texas, and it implies that we left the Big 12 because we couldn't beat Texas and because Texas had too much political power within the conference.

The whole article is a veiled way of saying, "Stop worrying about that Nebraska girl that broke up with us last year, we're too good for them anyways."

Actually, he says the money will be a wash...

The only reason that article sucked is because he mentioned how many times UT has beaten NU (which makes sense as he is writing IN AUSTIN). It sucked to see those numbers, but it's not like he made them up. I hate Texas with a burning passion, but I'm getting a little tired of reading NU fans bitching about every pro-Texas thing that happens or is written. Nebraska is a big name as well, we should be able to move on. All this bitching is what UT fans want to see. Bitch all you want in private conversations with friends (Lord knows I do everyday) but can we keep it off public forums now, we're starting to look petty...

Actually, he says the money will be a wash...

The only reason that article sucked is because he mentioned how many times UT has beaten NU (which makes sense as he is writing IN AUSTIN). It sucked to see those numbers, but it's not like he made them up. I hate Texas with a burning passion, but I'm getting a little tired of reading NU fans bitching about every pro-Texas thing that happens or is written. Nebraska is a big name as well, we should be able to move on. All this bitching is what UT fans want to see. Bitch all you want in private conversations with friends (Lord knows I do everyday) but can we keep it off public forums now, we're starting to look petty...

No, he says that the $$ difference between Nebraska and Texas might be a wash. He then goes on to say this:

Financially, Nebraska certainly isn't dropping off any cliff, although the school's travel expenses will rise at least $800,000 a year. It's hard to bus to Ann Arbor, Mich. Then there's all the extra winter gear because, as Garrido said, "Happy Valley isn't that happy. All of those schools are in remote areas. The travel's going to be tough; the weather's going to be tough."

Some think Nebraska might have even been just as well off had it remained in the Big 12 as it figures to be in the Big Ten with a network that reaches 75 million homes. Nebraska was within a year of setting up its own television network, Osborne said, but the Big Ten changed all that.

See where he says, "some think?" That's journalist-speak for "I have no legitimate source to back this up, but my neighbor sure seems to think that Nebraska would have been just as well off in the Big 12 as in the Big Ten."

Even though any clear-headed journalist knows that's a bunch of crap, and that Nebraska will make gobs more money in the Big Ten than it ever would have in the Big 12, Bohls decided that instead of articulating that side of the argument, he would go with increased travel expenses, and winter gear. Seriously, WTF with the winter gear? We're not Oregon, we're not going to need different winter uniforms for every cold game we go to. It's already cold in Nebraska in the winter, we've already got "winter gear."

I'm sorry, I'm far from the biggest Texas-hater you could find in the Nebraska fan base, but Bohls has his head up his ass. I don't give a crap about all the records and series history they threw in, UT fans can pat themselves on the back all they want about that stuff. They beat us, give them credit. What's pathetic is how they have to make up a bunch of crap to make themselves feel better about us leaving. They have to feel like their superiority is the reason we're leaving, AND that we'd be better off if we were still with them.

Who cares. Texas could have kept us around by just agreeing to the Big 12 TV rights like TO wanted if they wanted us around so bad. And the B1G is DEFINITELY NOT trading 800 lb gorillas. Big Ten is pretty much democratic between all its members unlike the old Big 12.

Missouri doesn't have the football brand that the Big 10 wanted. The Big 10 was looking at programs like Texas, Notre Dame, and Nebraska. Missouri doesn't enter that discussion, no matter how well they could have handled the situation.

edit: my bad, you guys might have just meant that if Missouri hadn't had one foot out the door, Nebraska wouldn't have started looking to begin with...

That too, but specifically I was referring to this:

May 2010 rumors

this report was the snowflake that rolled into a massive avalanche-like snowball by June 11, 2010.

long before someone, whoever, at Texas was sneaking hourly reports to OrangeBloods, all the initial rumors were coming out of Kansas City. clearly someone at Mizzou was leaking these rumors.

IMO this Tiger-backing blabber mouth (god bless him/her) is the reason we are playing in the Big 10 in 2011. and ironically also the reason Missouri is stuck with Big IIX for years to come.

What's interesting in retrospect, is that obviously this person felt that Missouri and Nebraska to the Big 10 was a done deal. Even saying "Big 10 officials told Missouri...". but according to the OWH article months later, even Nebraska had only been in initial introductory talks with the league at that point.

Still, I can't help but think that their officials had been to the same secret hideaway that Pearlman and TO visited with Delaney. What the Big 10 thought of their presentation, who knows.

I kinda feel sad for the Texas fans. Like many others, had no problem blaming us for leaving for the money, when we didn't feel like being under the yoke of Dan Beebe and his ass-lapping cronies. The only games that are going to matter is the Red River shootout, the CCG, oh yeah, you don't have enough teams for that, and what ever bowl you guys are able to qualify for.

I feel worse for OU, because now they've gone from a preeminent conference, to one that might command as much respect as the Big East.

What's interesting in retrospect, is that obviously this person felt that Missouri and Nebraska to the Big 10 was a done deal. Even saying "Big 10 officials told Missouri...". but according to the OWH article months later, even Nebraska had only been in initial introductory talks with the league at that point.

I think there are sources out there who will agree that the courtship between Nebraska and the Big Ten has been going on for some time. Barry Alvarez has had us on his radar for years and years and years, and he's spoken to his B1G brethren about us long before 2010. Actual negotiations didn't start until early last year, but an ongoing "what if?" conversation had started long before.

I feel worse for OU, because now they've gone from a preeminent conference, to one that might command as much respect as the Big East.

While I don't think that's necessarily true, I wouldn't feel bad for Oklahoma-- they made their bed. I never understood this reverence for OU among Nebraska fans. Sure we can be chummy with their fans and reflect on the good old days of the Big 8 and all that, but the fact remains that they hung Nebraska out to dry during the formation of the Big 12. Instead of joining Nebraska in sticking up for the old Big 8, they got in bed with the Texas schools and were only too willing to end our annual series. Even his Snideness, Berry Tramel, conceded that OU's disloyalty was a key factor in Nebraska's departure.

It is kind of sad. They've beaten Texas up and down the field for years, but off the field, they'd follow Texas off a cliff.

will make it short, nu will have a tougher road in the big 10, just because its a tougher conferance(in football at least). My feelings are that you compare the big 12 vs big 10 from top to bottom, the big 10 has a better possibility of knocking you off if you don,t play well..i don,t see nu going undeafed next year, just too young.