Herzlich bails on Nighthawks

Fuzzy

How much do nighthawks players earn roughly? He has a degree from BC, and a story that would make it hard for any employer to turn him down.

I think the lowest guys in the UFL make what the practice squad NFL guys make or more. Don't quote me on it, but I remember reading somewhere that it's something like that. I think the "better" guys like Ahman Green will make a bit more, but I'm not sure how much exactly.

I am really confused by this. You can't sign with an NFL team right now, you probably can't until September. The UFL is a great way to not be out of football for this crucial period of time. And there is no penalty at all, if I understand, to leave at any time and go to the NFL. I think they took out the $25k penalty that had been in place to accommodate this weird situation.

Herzlich is a great story, but it seems he is doing this out of pride. But wouldn't it be easier for an NFL club to sign him if he's more ready to go when the new CBA finally gets negotiated?

I am really confused by this. You can't sign with an NFL team right now, you probably can't until September. The UFL is a great way to not be out of football for this crucial period of time. And there is no penalty at all, if I understand, to leave at any time and go to the NFL. I think they took out the $25k penalty that had been in place to accommodate this weird situation.

Herzlich is a great story, but it seems he is doing this out of pride. But wouldn't it be easier for an NFL club to sign him if he's more ready to go when the new CBA finally gets negotiated?

Are you just talking about doing workouts and staying in shape? Cuz the first UFL game last season wasn't until Sept. 18th

The way the contracts work this year are as follows:

No longer a transfer fee to go to the NFL, but must wait until the season is over to leave

Pay slightly lower than last year; standard contract is for $40k with QBs (and probably a few others) making more

Season is sooner and will likely be done around Oct 20 (probably about the time the NFL will start play this year)

Players can begin negotiating with the NFL starting Oct 1

• Fire 1